“Boot camp at Spa Resorts”

Spa Resorts Samui Beach
Ranked #24 of 41 Lamai Beach B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Boot camp at Spa Resorts”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for the boot camp, we were actually accommodated at their nearby village property and shuttled up and down for meals, which was a bit of a drag. The restaurant is outstanding, some of the raw vegetable dishes had me questioning whether they had slipped in some meat on the sly. A week of eating our prescribed boot camp here was a real eye-opener to how good a lean diet can be, although some of the meals served toward the end of the week were quite heavy and garnished with butter, which was counterproductive.

The village accommodation is very calm, due to its remote location. They have hourly shuttles up and down to the beach, but it would be great if they could incorporate some stops in town on the route. I wanted to spend more time at the beach and in town as, although the village has a pool and a restaurant, the pool area is shaded by the surrounding forest and the restaurant has a very limited menu. One warning, the village area is built into a very steep hill and doing anything there involves walking up and down long, steep, sometimes slippery paths, if getting about is a challenge for you, this would not be a great place to stay.

The rooms are OK, not super clean and the shower rooms are a bit dingy and depressing. I know this is normal for Thai bungalows, but I've seen it done so much better at bungalow properties in Bali and Oman that I always hope they'll up their game.

The beach accommodation is nicer at first glance, with a sunnier pool and access to the better restaurant. It is located right on the main road however and is quite noisy. The beach is shared with fishermen and there was plenty of litter on it during my stay as well as discarded boats. Lamai in general is quite a busy holiday town complete with dodgy massage parlours, girly bars and drunken tourists, it's not the idyllic spa location I was expecting.

The boot camp itself achieved its goal and I lost a couple of inches of my waist and more importantly got the jump start back into exercise that was needed after 6 months of slacking. Three weeks on and I'm still working out every day and getting into better and better shape, so it worked for me. It is still a young operation though and there are quite a few things they need to work out, mostly logistics. A lot of time was spent driving around, for meals, to yoga classes and to a beach for circuit training, which seemed strange as the beach resort had yoga classes and a beach and rooms right by the restaurant where we ate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Pollenstein

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Spa used to be an institution. It was THE place to go to detox in Samui. Unfortuantely, it's success has been and gone. Long gone! The service is awful, the view of the beach is more like a view of a fishing boat yard, and the restaurant is NOT health food. They add MSG and sugar to everything, and when they run out of RAW cacao they use Cadbury's drinking chocolate. No joke!

I went to have a aloe vera body wrap for 500 B. I looked on the spa menu, it said it included 15 minutes in the herbal steam room. But the surly, sullen lady on reception said ''10 minutes!'. ''Only 10 minutes!'' No Thai smile here then.

i paid up, and went into the steam room for my measly 10 minutes. It was grotty, filthy, and cold. The window on the door was missing!

I then, was lead to the Sala for my wrap.

The grumpy lady slathered me in Aloe vera, which took all of about 3 minutes, slopping it on without care - jabbing me in the throat once, while she was at it. Then plopped a sarong over me and left me for half an hour.

I lay there trying to relax with the sound of an angle grinder going outside, and a fishing boaat revving it's engine.

Not the most relaxing experience!

This place continues it's downward slide, while the prices continue to rise. It's dirty, and in need of some TLC. Avoid!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank andrewskin

Travelers are raving about these Lamai Beach hotels

Stockholm
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Lovely place. Wanted to go here ever since reading this article in The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2002/mar/09/restandrelaxation.shopping

Found the resort to be pleasant though the busy road meant that traffic noise was a problem the first time I stayed as my room was on the roadside. I loved the quiet atmosphere within the resort and enjoyed the 7 day fasting programme so much I went back again a second time to do it. The juices are fresh and delicious and the restaurant is fantastic when you are not fasting too.

Great massage available as well as daily free meditation and yoga classes at a charge of 300 baht. Also nice steam room to help with the cleansing. Chemical free pool also on the grounds.

The beach is not fantastic but it's definitely OK. I will return.

Room Tip: Stay in the A-frames and avoid the rooms that back onto the roadside - they are noisy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jack R
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Spa Samui was my first detox experience abroad and Im very glad I did mine here. I knew I wanted to do my detox in KS and was having trouble deciding where to go within a good price range. Was highly recommended to this resort from a few people who enjoyed it greatly. I was very happy with the detox programme and the service. Everyone was very hospitable and staff were always there for you to ask questions of any types, often very proactive in getting involved with the guests as well. I did the full program with the yoga and amphuku massages included and i thought they paired well with the fasting. The restaurant called Radiance offered me a great introduction into more vegan and raw foods which eased me in to the cleanse well and I left with newer ideas to include more fresh foods into my diets. The service was really good, though the rooms are not that fancy, the location really kept its truth in allowing people to really get back to the root of themselves and practise mindfulness and be calm. I would come back again :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
California
Reviewed August 24, 2012

OK, so a first for me. Detox! I did the "Change My Life" 7 day detox program. Every day I went to a guided meditation, yoga, massage, and sauna. I also drank the shakes, took the supplements, and put 17 liters of coffee water up my bum twice a day. Haha! It was interesting. I met the most amazing people who were doing the exact same thing and we had a lovely time together laughing, laying by the pool and watching movies in the evenings. :) We all bonded and had the best time. I was not hungry at all, but of course by day 8 when I could eat, I honestly could not get enough food. Plus there is this amazing restaurant and I wanted to try all the food. WHEN I go back, I will stay longer before and after the fast to enjoy the restaurant. I also took Graeme's class on Nutrition and really learned a lot. I think if you are going to go here you need to try everything! I also did the "Releasing" with Wayne and have to say it was a very unique experience that I really think helped me a lot. Try it!! I went to "Change My Life" so I tried everything and did a mind, body, spirit cleanse. I think it also helped that I stayed off the computer and phone the whole time too. It did change my life and I will go back. 5 stars...at least!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a regular room and it was fine. The A frames were really nice too. Either one!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank chipsahoy67
Thornton Beach
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Very good salads, extensive menu, fresh juices, fantastic for detox. A must for healthly minded people

• Stayed March 2012
Netherlands
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I had an amazing time at this resort. It's right on the beach, but at a really quiet spot. There's a lot of wonderful people, a lot of solo (women) travelers. Every morning there's free meditation, each night there are free personal growth seminars (i.e. family constellations, EFT, astrology). There is an amazing organic vegetarian restaurant on site, with lots of raw food options.

The bungalows are basic, but nice. The only down sides are that the bungalows close to the reception are noisy and I heard that the rooms in the hotel are right on the street, and it's hard to sleep there.

You can do a detox / fasting course here, but be ware there is not a whole lot of guidance. Staff is hurried and not very personal, although professional.
It didn't feel very hospitable that the internet and WiFi were so expensive for guests.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple