“Good”

WW Will Wait Bakery & Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 151 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, European
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Spreckelsville, Hawaii
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

I cruised around Lamai Beach on Visakha Bucha Day. All the money changers were closed for the national holiday and I was Bahtless. So I had to use a credit card to buy breakfast.

I went to the WW Will Wait Bakery & Restaurant and was greeted warmly upon arrival. After confirming that they accepted credit cards at all, a prominently displayed handwritten sign indicated that there was a 500 THB minimum for credit card purchases. I was up to the challenge.

The restaurant is pleasant and airy. The only patrons then were a Brit-Thai couple and an American honeymoon(?) couple. I opted for a table in the middle within the range of two rotating fans and a direct line of sight to the flat screen television hanging on the wall.

I first ordered a cheese and tomato omelette and Illy coffee. The omelette was fine in appearance and texture. But it was remarkably bland. It was almost devoid of taste. It was as if the cook had washed all the taste out of the ingredients before cooking.

I later concluded that this is the norm. When a farang orders a farang dish, it is prepared without any taste. When a farang orders a Thai dish, it is prepared with very little of the flavors that are the very reason some people want to travel to Thailand - to try authentic, high-octane Thai food.

After butchering the Thai language for a while, and the waiter butchering English, it appeared he wanted to make sure my omelette wasn't too spicy and I wanted to liven it up a bit. We finally connected on the phrase "chili sauce". Problem solved.

But I still hadn't crossed the 500 THB minimum threshold, so I couldn't leave restaurant.

As it was almost 8:30 a.m., I thought it would be okay to start drinking. So I ordered Singha beers and Lop Gai (Pet!). The waiters almost instantly warmed up to the indulgent farang guy. The Lop Gai was excellent and the Sing-Lek even better. The taste difference was dramatic. Like Anthony Bourdain says, "it's like discovering new colors from a box of crayons you never knew existed before."

A beer or two later and I had crossed the 500 THB finish line with flying colors.

There are a few caveats and comments I would like to share with the readers. First, I hope you don't mind dogs in the restaurant. There are about three dogs that appear to be house pets to the restaurant owners or cooks. One of the cooks walked around the kitchen holding and petting a small puppy. A larger black dog has the run of the place, but spent most of the time resting by the beverage fridge in the kitchen.

I didn't have a big problem with the house dogs in the restaurant. Where I got a little queasy is when the house dogs interacted with the Soi Dogs sprinting up and down the main street.

Second, there are quite a few waiters lounging around the bar with nothing to do but text and watch videos on their mobile phones. This is probably a sign of the times, and generationally true everywhere around the globe, but I still think workers should be doing something productive while they're on the clock.

Management ought to get those waiters working by taking advantage of the ideal location of the WW Will Wait Bakery. The bakery-restaurant is perfectly situated on the pleasant easement between the main road running through Lamai and to Lamai Beach itself. The airy restaurant opens up nicely onto the easement; and there is some dude tending interesting birds and bird cages along the side of the restaurant facing the easement. You can't help but stop and watch what he's doing.

I can't quite remember if another TA poster had this idea, but the WW ought to use its bakery-restaurant to cater breakfast, lunch and snacks to the tourists who are walking along the easement down to the beach. Use the bakery goods and restaurant areas to make picnic baskets or 'to go' meals for the tourists. Throw in a bottle of sparkling water, wine, or other beverage and French it up a bit. For all the big fat Russian families wobbling down to the beach, throw in some pirogis or vodka. Anyway, there's a golden opportunity here to take advantage of the restaurant location.

All in all a good meal at a good restaurant. Glad I went there.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Paul H

• Korean first
Squamish, Canada
“Wish I had found this place earlier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Not in the heart of the tourist restaurants so did not discover this gem till half way during our stay in Lamai. When we did find it we came here for every meal and were never disappointed.
The prices are reasonable for the quantity and quality of the food. The service from the staff was excellent. We liked sitting at the outside tables, especially those along the lane next to the numerous bird cages with their song birds.
After breakfast we visited the bakery to select our goodies to get us through the hot day before dinner.
Even after we moved to the north of the island, we returned twice to eat here.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank grant27
Antigua, Guatemala
“Great Thai food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

This place has great Thai food and a nice bakery also. The staff were very attentive and the dishes all came at relatively the same time. We only ate there once but we would go back.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Carey L
Oregon
“Good breakfast, but better bakery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Had the English breakfast, pretty good. A little expensive for what it was but good fruit and good strong coffee. Fried eggs were very over easy, staff was willing to re-cook for us. Seemed very clean.

4 Thank Sara G
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Traditional Thai food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

This small local restaurant has been there many years. I remember going to it in about 1990, and apart from looking posher in 2013 not much has changed. It continues to serve very tasty Thai food, and the staff are friendly. Compared to many of the restaurants which have become touristy this one is not too expensive. At the entrance there are carved wooden figures of Thais doing a 'wai', the welcoming gesture. If you do not want European food this is the place to go, or you can also get good Thai food from the food stalls near the Lady Boxing show just past MacDonalds on the opposite side of the road.

Visited May 2013