“Wonderful Stay Great Service”

Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best for the price we found in this area. We searched around quite a bit because we are on a budget. It is right near the sea and excellent value. The reception was a little slow checking in but not too long. The rooms were basic and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful in both the hotel and bar and the fire shows were amazing. We will be heading back on our next trip for sure.

• Stayed: November 2013
RichResort, Guest Relations Manager at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

We appreciate your feedback and are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes we are the most affordable hotel on the beach in Koh Samui. Sorry about the delay with reception, between 11 am and 2pm the reception is usually fairly hectic with check ins and check outs because our hotel is very popular and full the majority of the time. Yes the rooms are basic, we provide all the basic amenities at an affordable price. Good to hear that the staff were helpful and excellent to hear that we will see you again in the future. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The fan room was far to warm and the fan just blew the air around as the room had no windows and was halfway down a very warm corridor very hard nights sleep so moved somewhere which much better rooms for the same price and a pet monkey. The location was ok but even then still off the strip. They do offer motorbike rental for the normal price, the staff didn't particularly seemed bothered about guests and it all seemed very lazy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
RichResort, Guest Relations Manager at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion of Rich Resort. Sorry to hear you found the fan room too warm. We offer the fan room because it provides a lower priced room for guests to book. Our motto is "affordable beachside accommodation" and we try to provide this. Yes for some people the climate in Thailand is too hot. We have many people stay in our fan rooms with no problem. It is our most popular room type because of its price. We offer air conditioned rooms also and guests are always welcome to upgrade to an air conditioned room dependent on availability.
All of our rooms have opening windows, the fan rooms have windows higher up the wall because of the room design and for privacy. You can see from photos online that all of the room types have curtains and behind the curtains are sliding windows with mosquito nets.
Thanks again for the review, we appreciate your comments and views.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Where do I begin, I have nothing good to say about this place at all. I have never written a review before but I felt the need for this place to purely vent my frustration. We arrived at rich resort, where we checked in after a minor glitch where the staff member couldn't seem to find our reservation, after a while we got taken to our room (no big deal) me and my boyfriend have been travelling for 2 months now and had booked 4 nights to stay in a double room with air con, and after reading the reviews and looking at the pictures thought we had found a complete bargain. I had to look back at the reviews to make sure I hadn't made a mistake with the name. This place was truly awful!

We got to our room, fair enough it was basic which is what we expected but nothing at all like the pictures on the website. First thoughts were that it looked a bit scabby but nothing we couldn't handle. Well it got worse. The bed sheets covered in yellow stains. The bathroom absolutely reeking of urine and we hadn't even used it yet. As most places in Thailand we expected to see the sign about no flushing toilet roll down the toilet, fair enough but the bin provided didn't even have a lid, great! The stink of urine was only going to get worse. There was leaking coming from the roof which would drip on us while using the toilet and when flushing the toilet it would spill out the sides onto the floor, where we had to stand while showering. Really disgusting!

I wanted to see it through as we had paid for it after all and with travelling can't afford to just leave and book somewhere else. So we decided to enquire at reception about a day trip, weren't entirely sure what we wanted so thought we would get some help from the experts! Wrong again! When we got there 3 gormless members of staff (including what looked like the owner/manager) chatting away amongst themselves, first man looked up (the one who I think is the manager) and ignores me, second member of staff looks up and then nudges the third staff member to deal with us. I asked about the elephant trekking, she looked puzzled, I asked again and pointed to a leaflet, she responded with a 'yes' I asked what else they had similar, she didn't seem to know. The other 2 staff members didn't help at all, but being within earshot could of easily stepped in. I decided to book with a very nice lady around the corner instead.

Turns out the rest of the staff were just as bad, cleaners seemed to always be sitting around in people's rooms eating food and chatting to eachother which is a little unsettling. Aren't they supposed to be cleaning them? As we had yellow stained sheets we decided to request a change of bed sheets, the room comes with a letter stating that if we wanted fresh bed sheets we had to leave the note on the bed, so we did. We got back to our room with different yellow stained bed sheets. Great. What we also noticed was that we had a pile of Thai bahts (10 baht coins) scattered around amongst out belongings and they had mysteriously disappeared when we got back to the room. We did sign a form on arrival stating that we would accept responsibility for our own items but didn't think the staff of the actual resort could be a possible threat.

The swing bar across the road looked ideal being so close. And then we ate there, I ordered chicken with jack Daniels sauce and my boyfriend ordered a yellow curry. My one was basic which didn't bother me too much but the curry puts Thai food to shame. The staff here didn't seem to know anything about the menu, or the drinks. I decided to order a captain Morgan and coke, and what I got was a disappointment. Flat coke, this wouldn't have been an issue at all but with everything else this was the icing on the cake. Never ate or drank there again.

Wifi was limited but not the end of the world.

Will never return and would only recommend this place to enemies.

This place is vile. Don't do it unless you are here to party so hard every night that by the time you go to bed you are in no fit state to know where you are. Saying that the hangover would only be made worse by waking up to the stench of someone else's piss, which is probably dripping fr the ceiling.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KJDthreelittlepigs

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and restaurant. We appreciate all feedback both positive and negative.
Wow I am very surprised at this review. I have questioned the reception and management regarding your claims but neither received any complaints matching yours. It should be fresh in their minds because you made the review only 1 day ago. Did you speak to reception or management about these claims? Did you speak to reception or management about possibly getting your money refunded so you could find another hotel if this hotel was so "vile".
I am a bit confused because we have so many good reviews and many return customers. We are one of the top selling hotels in Lamai for room nights because of our affordable prices, great location and good reputation. We also have an average occupancy rate of over 80% even in low season. I think this attests to our reputation and credibility.

Being that you have only made 1 review on Tripadvisor it makes me a little suspicious as to the credibility and motives of this review.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights and was very impressed!
Rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet.
The location was fantastic, just a few steps away from beach and close to the main places in town.
Would stay here again and would definitely recommend to others!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Perf88

Thank you for your feedback of our business. It is great to hear that you were impressed with your stay. Also good to hear that you found our rooms to be up to standards. Management inspects the vacant rooms daily to insure standards of cleanliness and maintenance are maintained. Yes our location is great right on the beach and walking distance to everything in town. Thanks again for making a review and thanks for recommending our business to others. Hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have been holidaying in Thailand for many years now but haven't ever visited Samui, after staying I now don't know why!! I booked a few nights in an air con room as I know how fan rooms can be like sweatboxes, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of my room which was on the 2nd floor and that for the money I paid it seemed too cheap! Everything was in working order and very clean. Had a cockroach in the room a few nights in but this is Thailand so that's pretty standard! The bar across from the hotel looked nice and chilled but didn't spend much time in there. The hotel is just off the main strip where all the shops and attractions are, it's far enough to get away from the noise and short enough to get stuck in. The beach is a about 40 meters from the hotel and is very idyllic, the jet lev things they have there are fun to watch, especially when someone face plants!! All in all it is what it is for the money you pay, a good all rounder.

Room Tip: Air con all the way unless u like betty swallocks
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank peter m
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Found Rich Resort on tripadvisor and after reading the reviews, thought I would give it a whirl.... Ended up staying for 5 nights after only booking the one online, exstention of stay was very easy with the helpful and friendly reception staff. The rooms have a nice décor and are very spacious. Complete with fridge and tv and even a hot water shower. After reading some of the horror stories on here I am happy to report that this place ROCKS, bed was confortable and didn't see one bitey critter in sight! Hotel is a stones throw from what I deem to be one of the best beaches in Samui, which is just stunning!The hotel is opposite the Swing Bar which has a nice atmosphrere and quite a cool wooden design interior, perfect for relaxing in the evening, sinking some san migs watching the world go by. The food was nice and fairly priced, I recommend anything in the jack daniels sauce, that stuff is addictive!!! I actually managed to meet the owners, very nice accomadating people with my kind of humour!! Overall a great little place, I think if I could give you any advise about this place it would be, you get what you pay for!! \will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jake S
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed for only 3 nights but had a great time here! Good location, not too far from the main street but a quiet place to sleep at night. Right on the beach, and you can use the sunbeds for free.

The room was great, clean, and there was a small tv in there (although hardly any English speaking programs on). Aircon was an extra cost which we didn't get, but the fans worked well enough. The cleaners only cleaned your room if you wanted them to (leave a sign on the door in the morning). The wi-fi was free, and pretty quick.

Can't remember for the life of me what the food was like so because of that I'm going to assume that it was just average, but I can remember that the service was a bit slow at times even when it wasn't busy.

At night, they have free fire shows at the bar and on the beach which was really cool to watch!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends