“The most hospitable place we ever stayed in...”
Review of Chaulty Towers

Chaulty Towers
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Drogheda, Ireland
“The most hospitable place we ever stayed in...”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Myself and my Fiancee arrived in Samui in Jan 2011. We stayed in a few hotels before arriving at Chaulty. As soon as we arrived here we knew we had found our home away from home. We had planned on staying for a week or so, but ended up staying for 2 months.

Steve is just the best host I've met. Always available, charming, great advice on sites to see, where to eat and things to do. He arranged a motorbike for us just after we arrived and took us on some fantastic excursions....and for nights out in Samui Steve would never lead you astray....well, he would if you asked him to. :)

The location is perfect. Close to the beach, with everything in walking distance.

The facilities were great. Large room with sofa and TV/DVD for nights in. A pool which we had to ourselves most of the time. A bar and pool table a few steps from our room...great for nights relaxing and taking it easy.

I had been traveling for over a year when we arrived here and I found Chaulty Towers the hardest place of all to leave. We were due back in Ireland so we had to, otherwise we would still be there!

I have already recommended this to my friends who are going to Thailand and I would for anyone.

I would say if your staying in Koh Samui, stay here!

Room Tip: Book as much in advance as possible.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank freedomthirtyfive

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed there for 4 nights room was great, comfy bed great place to relax close to shops and the staff were really heapful and friendly would stay there again next time im in lamai

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Bender85
wsm
Reviewed March 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 10 nights in Feb 2011. The superb service we received from Steve, Ore and Family started when we made our booking via e-mail back in July 2010. Our Son who had visited Koh Samui twice before, decided to get married on the island just a couple of miles along the beach. Steve knew the venue well because he often played his guitar there at functions. So by the time he met us at the beautiful Koh Samui airport, we already felt we had known him for years! 40 minutes or so later we were greeted by the Chaulty Towers gate guardians (Steve's dogs, Sam and Rambo).
Our room had everything you could possibly want and if you did want something, Steve would get it. Stepping out through your sliding patio doors onto your sunbed and then another couple of paces into the swimming pool.
Once settled in, Steve then took us to the Lamai village to point out where everything was. The "strip" or main street is no more than a mile long and runs parallel to the beach, about 200 yards away with access points between the beach side hotels all the way along. Everything you could wish to do happens along here, from eating, drinking; Ladyboy shows, Muay Thai boxing, massage parlours and shopping. Haggling is expected and great fun with the locals who are very friendly and courteous. If you like fresh caught seafood, (lobster, tiger prawns, red snapper etc.) then you are in for a treat at ridiculously low prices. Pick you own and 15 minutes later a sumptuous meal is put before you. There is Western food as well of course and vegetarian choices also, so food for everyone.
You can stay out as long as you like and when you get back, Steve's 24 hour honesty bar service is there at the end of the pool. (Gives a new meaning to "one for the road")! The longer we stayed, the more we used the bar as we made new friends with other guests staying there. Breakfast was anytime you wanted before lunchtime and whatever you wanted as long as Steve could buy it fresh an hour before you ate it!
There are so many activities and events to consider all over the island and all the information is to hand in the room. Once again, Steve's connections around the island and his understanding of the Thai language meant one quick phone call and our booking was made.
Chaulty Towers is a 10-15 minute slightly downhill walk to the beach and shops and if you don't like walking, Steve has mopeds you can hire. This is the main form of transportation around Lamai and rules and regulations for riding one are very user friendly!
There is a laundry just across the street and a big pile of washing can be done for 100 Baht. Put it in early and you can sometimes get it back the same evening; if not then the following morning.
For our final night we asked Steve if he could provide food for a B-B-Q. Once again he came up trumps and a great last evening was had by all present including letting Steve win our mini pool tournament. Well, he was on home ground after all!
If you want a totally relaxing holiday without the formalities of the larger beach-side hotels, then Chaulty Towers is the place to go for personal service at a great price. Thank you Steve and Ore for a superb holiday venue.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank desford1
London
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I came to Koh Samui to relax and that is exactly what I did but if you wanted a more social holiday then this hotel can provide that too as Steve always invites you out and makes you feel really welcome. he cam to pick me up from the aiport which was great as I didn't know the area and saved me getting a taxi. The pool is lvoely to swim in and there are always sunloungers. It is a short walk to the shops, bars, restaurants and lovely beach but far enough out that it is quiet and you can sleep really well. It has such a lovely family feel and everyone was so welcoming. It felt so safe and was very realxed here. Steve is really knowlegable about the and will help with anything he can. DEFINITELY book this place! It is such good value for money, thanks again for a great holiday Steve!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Brighton, UK
Reviewed February 9, 2011

If you wish to have a quiet peaceful time - really comfortable accommodation - excellent choice at breakfast - a swimming pool and jacuzzi - you have picked THE SPOT. This is my first visit to Koh Samui and I was delighted to find the accommodation I booked had lived up to TA previous reviews. The owner could not do enough for you - took you here, there and nothing was any trouble. Excellent location - near the beach and nightlife but very peaceful for sleeping. I would highly recommend it to any of my friends who wish to visit this part of the world.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2011

You can't beat this place, it's just so good. I want to go back and spend 3 weeks there. The rooms are big, clean, and have CD/DVD, fridge, a/c, sitting area, patio, good TV, and kettle. This is unreal for so cheap per night. Steve is great, breakfast is excellent, and you can walk to the beach in 10 minutes. The pool was nice and there are 2 super cute dogs there as well. I loved this place it was my favorite in the month we spent in Thailand. It's not fancy, but it's fun, and you get to meet awesome people there. Just go it is soooo worth it. I can't wait to go back to the island and stay here again for a long time. I want to take my parents here when we go back as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I booked this Hotel months ago and was due to arrive this coming Sunday for a three night stay. I booked directly via email with Steve the Manager, rather than going through a travel agent. Steve emailed back to state availability and prices and I replied with a confirmation. Having heard nothing for a week, I emailed again asking them to confirm the booking, and Steve did this.
I was all set to go, packed yesterday, getting excited... then this morning recieved an apologetic email stating that his wife had also taking a booking for that room and that given they had not recieved a deposit from me they were honuring the other customer and hoped i had enough notice - 6 days! I had never been asked for a deposit!
I am now a lone female traveller, arriving in Koh Samui in less than a week and at 10.00 at night and have nowhere to stay. Very disappointed, and actually quite worried. Hope i find somewhere else soon. Whilst they were apologetic, they also implied it was my fault for not paying a deposit that was never requested. If you do book, do it through a Travel Agent, the owners seem to have a rather casual booking system.
A real shame as they seemed a nice hotel with good reviews and was looking forward to starting my trip here but they have left me high and dry...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
#8 of 30 in Mae Nam
MANATHAI Koh Samui
MANATHAI Koh Samui
#11 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Chaulty Towers? Share your experiences!