“sexy stylish food, real attentive service, proper wow factor in a cool, chilled setting”
Review of Beach Republic

Beach Republic
Ranked #30 of 166 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2010

i booked a villa at Beach republic because i was attracted to the privacey of having my own private infinity pool in my own walled garden. Their are not many hoetls if any on samui offering these private facilities where you can spend ten days wearing nothing at all, getting a great tan on and without offending anyone with my man boobs in a public pool! briliiant! Down on the beach 20 seconds from my villa is a cool as hell set-up, looks and feels like a ritzy beach club in St Tropez, massive pool, great cocktail service - lots of good, well informed staff, service is five star and it looks like a theyve employed a hot crowd from a magazine shoot!! The poolside beachclub is available to anyone who rocks up from the beach, no charge and no need to be a resident which helps keep the vibe not too stuffy or too exclusive - The food is a nice mix of european style tapas, authentic thai and as a foodie who eats out 5 days a week in some of melborunes best, for the fact that its on an island, i was really surprised by the quality, presentation and offering - the foods great - try the lamb chili con carne with crispy 8 inch tortillia strips or the BBQ seafood plate with phukett lobster - or the gigantic lamb shank in massaman curry sauce with potatos - at around $25 australian dollars, seriously good value - plus i was able to order a very good , under-priced bottle of french rose from a massive, educated wine list. i would never order wine from a Samui resturtant as its usually over-priced crap you would wash your car with - but they seem to have got it really right here - i was also stunned to find a really nice selection of cuban cigars on offer - again, at less than id pay at my reg shop in melbourne - don't know how they do it, lets hope they dont see this review before im back again! But the best bit about this place is the staff - its almost like ive had a team of butlers at times - theyve done everything from pumping up my pool infatable to driving to macdonalds at 2am and grabbing me some drunk junk to fixing my head in the mornings with asprins and an amazing breakfast. Finally! Service! i do not identify with the negative reviews about this joint, all i got was brilliance!

Go republic!!

Reviewed January 9, 2010

we have just returned from a week's holiday at Beach Republic and can thoroughly recommend it. we were staying in one of the brand new villas or 'residences' which are part of the resort. we found it to be very comfortable and stylishly designed. the food at the restaurant was excellent and favourites, including the calamari , tuna taco and steak were ordered daily! we did venture out once or twice to other eateries on the island (Prego on Chaweng is good) but really, with the combination of a great atmosphere, superb setting and lovely food why bother? .

Reviewed December 29, 2009

Today we went to Beach Republic to chill and have some lunch. Because of the reviews on this side we expected a lot. Unfortunately I find is this place overrated. Beach Republic is beautifully located at the beach and the restaurant itself is located in a nice building. Staff is not very friendly, slow and not attentive. We ordered a club sandwich (The Club Club) and some drinks. After 25 minutes the sandwich (finally) arrived and the fries were soft and cold. I had to go to counter myself to make a complaint (again, there was no staff). The fries were replaced and I attached a picture of them. The sandwich was not great either. The prices are high (320 BHT +service tax + vat) and was not worth it. When you want to have a great lunch at the beach and/or with a beautiful view, go to Zazen located in Bo Phut Village. They serve excellent food, are also located on the beach, have a pool and give you a much better feeling than Beach Republic (and charge the same prices). It’s a shame but I believe that Beach Republic is making too much profit and they do not bother about service and quality anymore.

1  Thank A31970
TimDeanSmith, President at Beach Republic, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2010

Dear Sir,
I am extremely disappointed to hear that you had a bad experience when you came to Beach Republic.
Regarding the service, it should have been excellent, and normally is. That day did have one chef off ill, and we were suddenly totally swamped with business on this our first peak season. We have this week hired additional kitchen staff, an additional restaurant manager, and 3 more wait staff. The only standard of both food and service I will accept at Beach Republic is 5 Star.
With regards to the Club Sandwich, that is normally very well liked, and gets great reviews on our comment cards.
With regards to the fries, the fries you had were our Home Cut Fries, made freshly with locally sourced potatoes. The potatoes do vary is starch content, which can vary the outcome in terms of crispness. We have now changed to the cooking process on our Home Cut Fries so that they come out more crisp. We have also added traditional French Fries, so that our customers have a choice.
With regards to the price, we are not the cheapest on the island, neither are we the most expensive (by a long way). If the quality and service had been as they should have been I think our prices are more than fair.
I hope you will give us another chance when you are next in Koh Samui.
Please do let me know when you are coming here again, and I will come to meet you if I am around.
Sincere apologies again that your experience was disappointing.
Best regards.
Tim Dean-Smith
President

Reviewed December 7, 2009

We went to this restaurant following all the advertisement we saw in the magazines and billboards. We've been to Koh Samui several times and have eaten in countless restaurants. Beach Republic was the most disappointing of all.
There was absolutely no atmoshpere as there were just 2 other couples there, and they played a boring elevator music. Menu is overpriced but we were willing to pay for quality. My husband ordered the Beach Republic Burger, which was very plain and nothing special at all. I ordered the Onion Tart with Cucumber & Cellery Salad. Well to say that this was a disaster would be an understatement. The 'tart' if I can even call it that was a small piece of puff pastry glazed with honey and sugar with a few shredded onions on top. It was not edible. And my cucumber and cellery salad? Well that did not have a single peace of cucumber or celery in it! It was just a piece of lettuce with 2 small cherry tomatoes. At least the staff were not causing any problems when I wanted to return it. I guess they could not object since it was not even close to what it was supposed to be. As a replacement I ordered the Chicken skewers. This is a tiny tiny piece of chicken on a skewer, if it was any thinner they would not be able to fit in on the stick. It really is just a small apetizer portion, that comes with a large piece of pineapple. The staff forgot to bring me cutlery and were too busy chating to notice so I just had to eat it with my hands. I was really glad when we left, it felt like a wasted evening, considering that there are many much nicer places to go to for dinner. It definitely did not live up to the expectations and you can get much nicer food and atmoshpere for much less money at other places. I will definitely not be returning here on the next trip to Samui.

Reviewed November 20, 2009

We have been living in Samui for years now and only discovered the tripadvisor website for restaurants recently. It can be a good tool, although the beach republic restaurant reviews didnt really helped us.
My food was good, I had pasta, which was quite tastefull. My partner though had chicken, which was overcooked and we were not sure if it was fresh at all. The staff was vey friendly though and replaced the dish without any discussion. It wasnt cheap. There are lots of places which are better and better priced as well.
For us the music was too loud and the atmosphere wasnt really inviting for a quite romantic dinner.
Some people, who are looking for excitement, music, will definitely like this place.
For us, it wasnt really great.