“Bad bad service”

Beach Republic
Ranked #32 of 172 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

After being recommended by a local we were thrilled to attend the Sunday lunch. Unfortunately it took four drink waiters and half an hour to bring our complimentary welcome drink. Two of these staff had little or no English comprehension. A short time later our Thai speaking friend spoke to three of the Thai staff who indicated they were new at their position and were all placed away from the main eating area to avoid embarrassment. Even ordering a simple glass of wine was to difficult and we were forced to obtain this ourselves. Apart from that great food. Date attended 19/5/13

4  Thank Paul L
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Paul. Thank you for your review. We are in low season now and we are using this time to try new staff members. To give the new trainees a good start we usually let them work in a more quiet section of our Beach Club. Since you are surrounding yourself with Thai friends the following can be good for you to know. Thai people are proud and shy by nature and even if they find themselves in trouble like with your order, they are afraid to ask for help. We experience many staff blooming after about two or three weeks. For example, their grades in English from school may be great and they may have passed the interview without incident, but still they choose not to speak English during their first working days. They are usually quite nervous to speak with a native English speaker and also are not familiar with some English accents. We like to choose nice people with a great attitude and I do admit that sometimes, especially during the first few days on the job, their performance can be lacking. They just need a little bit of time. I'm really sorry about what happened and I do wish that you would have informed the management on site. We could have sorted it out immediately and placed an experienced waiter next to you. There were three western managers on the floor this day during Sunday Brunch. At any rate, I do thank you for taking the time to leave a review here and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I just ate and drank here, and while some was good, I had a few issues. The potato "crostini" (as I believe they were called, which aren't actually crostini) were bland and unseasoned. The mashed potatoes were in deathly need of some salt and pepper, or some spices like chives. While labeled "vegetarian" they seemed to be done in the same oil as deep-fried shrimp or something as there was an extra taste I couldn't quite place but seemed to be of seafood. Additionally, these are not for the strict vegetarian as the side dip was a mayonnaise or mayo/sour cream mix (I only had a quick taste). I also had the penne arrabiata, which was more like a pomodoro as there was barely any heat, I tasted barely any garlic or chili. Also strange that my pasta main arrived before my appetizer. Not good enough to enjoy, not bad enough to send back.

As it was still barely happy hour, I ordered 4 mojitos (2-for-1 at 260 or something, making them the price of a typical bar), and asked for them to be put into a pitcher. The color was dark orange/slightly brown, which I at first took to be orange juice. As it turns out, the color was from brown sugar and dark local rum. While not terrible, it was rather too sweet, and certainly not traditional or what you expect when paying premium prices at a supposedly high-end resort. To get anal for a moment, the bartender didn't seem to know how to cut limes (he just cut partially into a couple of whole limes which sank to the bottom and whose existence I didn't even see at first), and mint should be muddled at the stems, where the flavor is and doesn't make the leaves look raggedy.

The ambiance is nice, the music nice and mellow, though the lighting was a bit too dark and I needed a raised candle to see the menu or my bill. On a low-season Tuesday it's not a place to talk to anyone, though that may be vastly different on their party nights or when they have their buffets. Seems like a good place to lounge and hang out with friends. On this particular night it was nearly empty, the staff (too high in number) mostly hung back and chatted with each other. No one came up to ask me how my meal was, or if I needed anything while I ate (I could have used some black pepper/chili oil for my pasta, something like chili sauce for the potatoes). I didn't feel like shouting 40 feet for them. Even when the guy cleared the table with half of the food untouched I wasn't asked if it was alright or if I needed anything.

While a couple behind me within earshot said everything was wonderful to the waiter, I distinctly heard the guy say that his fish was only half-cooked, raw on the inside, and needed something like a bit of orange to bring out the flavor. The girl said her dish needed more cheese, and said that one component on her dish was "terrible".

What I found oddest was that there was a group of about 12 Australians on beach chairs by the pool drinking and ordering cocktails, but then a few got up to get changed to go out drinking in Lamai, and when the waiters removed the towels from their chairs, they put an untouched cocktail on a little table between chairs (where it wouldn't have been seen). The drink was ordered after happy hour, so it would have been $9 or so. As the remaining group made plans about what bar to go to etc., no one pointed out the paid drink to them, and within 20 minutes they trickled out. That drink? The staff gave it to people at another table for free. Now, knowing heaps of Australians no one can tell me that out of 8 or 9 that no one would have had it "because the ice had melted" or that they were "too drunk" (the excuses given to me when I asked a member of the wait staff why they hadn't informed the group, who clearly weren't done drinking for the night).

So while I didn't feel cheated or as if I was treated rudely or anything, I certainly didn't think Beach Republic lived up to expectations. I may return once more as I'm staying just down the road, for their buffet which everyone raves about (though I don't know how good it is for vegetarians). There didn't seem to be any sort of manager around on this particular evening to voice any critiques to, which is why I'm making one of my first-ever posts on Trip Advisor.

BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I'm happy Beach Republic caused you to join the website. Indeed it was a slow night and the restaurant manager decided to leave a bit early after putting in a lot of overtime during high season. Management always tries to be present and it's very rare that there is no Western management on the premises even though we operate from 7am to 11pm seven days a week, year around.

Your comments about the dishes you ordered have been passed on to the kitchen and the comments about the Mojito to the bar manager. The bar was a bit surprised to hear this since they immediately knew who you were and remembered that you came over for a chat after finishing your meal and gave them a tip. The Mojito is one of our signature drinks and we also give the virgin version as welcome drinks to all our guests on arrival. For some reason you got the Beach Republic Mojito and you are correct in that it is certainly not traditional. This version of a Mojito contains Samui Rum, a splash of Thai Whiskey, lychee liqueur and fresh ginger. You may have been a bit surprised by the exotic taste. We also serve the traditional Mojito with Havana Club rum (of course). We never use brown rum in any of our Mojitos...both versions are blanco rum. Also, please note that the local Samui rum used is blanco...not dark as you state in your review.

I prefer not to comment on you listening in on other people's conversations and a left behind drink from a group of very happy guests. Our evening ambiance is romantic and dining under the stars by the ocean is a fantastic experience. If dining on your own, Sunday Sessions is a great time to join us as there is a bit of a party atmosphere. Our expanded Sunday Brunch contains quite a few vegetarian dishes, but you will not get your full value for money if not eating fish and meat. Therefore, please tell us if you are a vegetarian not eating fish and we will be happy to give you a discount. Thank you again for the review and please come down and give us a second chance!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm sure people have a good time here but we turned around after getting the worst attitude of the hostess.
She ignored us completely (no idea why, i think because we had no reservation) until other (hotel?)guests who came behind us pointed out we were there waiting.
She then aggressively pointed out we had to pay 1000 baht per person on the spot (no peeking at what you get for it first) for what is normally the minimum spend for food an drinks but what would now be only drinks. The reason being there was a brunch special. If we didn't like it we "could come back tomorrow..."

Eh... No thanks.

6  Thank Koenvd80
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear reviewer. We take guest complaints very seriously and have conducted a complete investigation into your comments. Since your concerns were about a brunch and since you visited in May, it must have been last Sunday the 5th of May that you visited. I spoke with the hostess team and their manager and they reported no discussions with any guests that match the description in your review. I also looked at the security camera footage during the time of the brunch and saw no guests approach the hut and then leave without entering as you describe. The hostess team did report an uncomfortable conversation with some guests three weeks ago where a group wanted to enjoy our signature day without actually spending any money. They wanted to just come down and use the club and its facilities without joining the brunch or ordering any drinks. I hope everyone can understand that this is something that we are not able to allow and in this case, the guests chose to leave. In summary, the entire team here including myself did our best to investigate this incident that you have described, but we were not able to find any evidence of these events actually taking place.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

On Sunday Beach Republic organizes their famous branch, featuring spectacular food and splendidly mixed cocktails. This is one of the things you need to try at least once during your stay in Koh Samui!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

After a few years away, finally made it back to Samui last week and decided to take the family to check out the Sunday Brunch at Beach Republic in Lamai. First off, walking into the resort, the setting was fantastic! Right on the beach with a couple of nice swimming pools and a pretty good sized crowd even at noon. The music was just right - not too loud or obnoxious, and really put us in a mellow mood. The food of course is the main attraction and we were not disappointed! The selection was very impressive with a huge assortment and variety of dishes. Excellent seafood, sushi, and BBQ. Even my wife who is a vegetarian found plenty to eat, which can be a little difficult at times in Asia. Oh and the kids loved the Thai pancake station, which was a nice touch! Overall, it was just a really great day out and we will definitely be back for more. If you're on Samui on a Sunday, it's worth a visit for sure.