“Good for a budget”

New Hut Bungalows
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good for a budget”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Cheap Cheap Cheap. Its not bad. I took the cheapest option. Bungalow for 300 baht. for what i paid i was happy. shared bathroom. Not the cleanest. mosquito nets with huge holes. but it was raining so that wasn't a problem. food was pretty good and a lot cheaper than most other resorts. its far out of the way from anything else. which isn't necessarily a problem. It also meant that the transfers anywhere were the cheapest here. The speedboat to Koh Phangnam for full moon party was 650 from here whereas everywhere else it was up to 1000 baht.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jarid328

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Like so many people we were picked up by the older lady waiting for the ferry over and found the free transfer somewhat attractive.

Arrived, happy with location then met the staff. As so many reports state, they have be the most outrageously rude reception staff we have ever met from our 71 countries visited.

Our final straw before we prematurely left was being told by the reception staff that the constantly barking dog lived there and we should leave. A scabby mongrel barked all day and night right outside the accomodation. We also put our own lock on the door due to all the reports about stealing from locked bungalows. When I showed the staff their Trip Advisor feedback they walked away saying they did not speak English and bizarrly the owner arrived an hour aggressively confronting me about the web reports.

AVOID as there are many similiar beach bungalows on that road

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mktravel177

Travelers are raving about these Lamai Beach hotels

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Thé location is Nice in front of thé beach, my hut was 15 meters from! Walking through is Nice, bathroom is Dirty, Bed not really comfy, but thé view is beautiful, and You CAN book any trip from thé frontdesk, service people are nice, food offer You a lot choice, french toast with banana amazing and thaï food Also

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank BiRdy M
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We got a free private transfer included with the price of our stay. Lovely huts only a few meters from the beach. Simple and clean with nice shared bathrooms. Very chilled out and a great restaurant which also sold a few essentials and had tourist info. Only problem we had was the service...very unfriendly and when we said we were leaving we were met with a barrage of questions as to where we were going next. Just as a note, the free wifi only worked between 7am and 11pm.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Sophie W
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was travelling by myself and had not pre booked accom, but on the boat over from kho toa I met the nice lady that owned the New Hut, it rang a bell with me that I had stayed there before a few years back so booked there and then. She actually drove me to the bungalows on the otherwide of the island. This was where unfortunatlly the hospitality ended!

The lady that seemed to be in charge when the owner was not there was rude to myself and others on many occasions during my 3 day stay. Making a huge scene in frout of the whole resturant when a guest rightfully sent a meal back.

It was impossible to sleep after 7am in the morning as there were large dogs barking, kids screaming and the cleaners sweeping the sand outside your door every morning. Not so much of a chilled beach time.

The Internet was turned off at 11pm, just the time the European travelers can contact friends and family at home. Not helpful and pritty pointless!

I was told to leave the resturant at 10pm even though I had only just bought a beer from them 5 mins earlier as they see shutting, this sent me to the beach to drink my beer by myself rather than meet other travellers.

Dispite this I ate ALL my meals at the restaurant, booked my onward travel and did my washing with them ( which they said would be back that evening and wasn't, then called me a liar when I told them I had handed it to them in the morning and it was my fault that it was t back. The washing was returned next morning but was not ironed and was 10 baht more than if I had gone next door.)

I became really sick on the day I left and was diagnosed by a doctor that I had food poisoning picked up in the last 2 days !!! Great end to a horrible 3 nights and days eating and trying to sleep at new hut.

I feel sorry for the owner in that if she was around a bit more at the new hut rather than on the boat her place would be a great place to stay as location wise and the settings are amazing. Just shame about the rest!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Cazzyt78
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed in a beach front, fan bungalow for 4 nights. The huts are very basic but good value for 500 baht per night. The beach is nice and its only a 10-15 min walk to the main nightlife spots. Thought the food was really good and a bit cheaper than most places. No complaints.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank HairyBandit
Zephyrhills, Florida
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here September 1st. Our hut was broke into that night while we were alseep!! They took my husbands wallet with cash and credit cards, my kindle reader and my kindle fire. The staff didn't seem too surprised or like they really cared. When I went to the police station to fill out a report for the insurance the cop guessed where we were staying before I even told him, so did the guy we rented a moped from to get to the police station. It is a know problem they have there and they don't warn you about it. Which makes me believe that the staff are involved in it somehow. We didn't let it ruin our trip, but we moved on to the next island right away. Would not recommend to even an enemy to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple