“Great price for Samui”

New Hut Bungalows
Sydney, Australia
“Great price for Samui”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Basic huts, some on the beach front at a great price. Not much room in them but for Samui the location in north lamai is perfect. Amazing food in the restaurant and the staff always friendly and smiling. Super clean too. The lady that owns the place is so nice too

• Stayed September 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My friend and I stayed in New Hut bungalows on 15th and 16th August, and were stolen from.

However, at no point did we leave the hut unlocked, the only time we can think that it happened was when my friend went to the beach in the early morning and left me to sleep without locking me in. Which is a scary thought indeed. The money was in a small inner pocket deep in her bag, which makes us think that the thief may have had their eye on us for a while rather than rummaging around, which would have most definitely woken me up.

The staff were obviously completely unhelpful and unsympathetic, and we did report it to the police although they seemed pretty uninterested! Do take extra care if you're staying here, keep all your valuables with you and be careful at night.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jemma J

Travelers are raving about these Lamai Beach hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Nice place. Quite small huts , with different facilities and different prices. But location is right on the beach and the restaurant is also nice place to eat. Staff is seems little bit uninterested, but all in all helped us with everything we needed. The best choice for the cost definitely and suitable for budget travelers. All in all happy with our stay there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Qrabat
UK
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Got the overnight ferry from Surat Thani after a local bus driver (whose route didn't go near the pier normally) dropped us off right beside the ferry for Baht 20 each when the taxi drivers wanted Baht 500 for the same trip. Taxi from Pier to Lamai beach was Baht 500, but after 7 hours on the ferry and being 6am it was well worth it. New Huts were ideal - right on the beach and at Baht 500 a night (front row - reducing in price Baht 400 for second row) were a bargain. Restaurant was very good - staff all fine - and the beach in front was cleaned and combed at dawn every day.

Room Tip: Front row if you can get it
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The location is fantastic and the prices for the hus were good. However, this does not make up for the bad attitudes of most of their staff. Particularly the two girls who run reception... so rude, unwelcoming and unhelpful.
Another word of EXTREME warning... do NOT rent anything from these people, especially the motorbikes. My friend and I hired a moto for 2 days with some friends. When I returned the bike it was completely fine but I had to wait for over an hour before the return inspection to get my passport back. When we had the inspection the guy tried to claim at first there was no water in the bike (general maintainance anyways?!) and then when I questioned him about it he changed his mind to no air in the tyres. I'd noticed that our bike had been moved from where I'd parked it and realised that it had been tampered with prior to the inspection. I absolutely refused to accept that anything was wrong with the bike and that if there was a problem with air then it was general maintainance. He then threatened to call the police but I was adament that I wanted to speak with them because I had pictures of the motorbike to prove that nothing had been done wrong for my ownb security before I rented it out. The guy then tried to raise his fists to me and shout at me but luckily somebody I'd met at the guesthuts stood in front of me and defended me. The reception women then tried to also get involved and were extremely rude, nasty and clearly upset that they'd not managed to scam me.
I later found out that another couple of friends I mjet there had had the same problem but they didn't know it was a scam and they had to pay for a new tyre! The motorbikes are a scam... you rent them and they scam you into buying them new things which should be their responsibility.
A day after the motorbike incident we found out from another guest at the huts that they'd tried to give away my friend's passport but luckily for us they knew us and refused to accept it and questioned the people at New Hut as to what they were doing! DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE... Stay next door at Beer Huts instead!
The only saving grace for New Hut is that the night watchman is an absolute legend and such an amazing, friendly man who clearly doesn't want to upset, hurt or harm anybody. Thank you to him!

Room Tip: don't bother with this place at all or if you do only rent a hut but do not buy anything from th...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank nayhem
Moreton Bay Region, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Was really nice and clean and the most comfortable bed I have been on since being in Thailand. A frame huts rights on the beach. Was 300 baht a night. The only thing letting the place down is the attitude of the staff. Its like they seem to resent you being there. Everything done in slow motion. From my hut I could hear lots of barking dogs and loud noise from the street. They have a rule that if you don't let them know the night before checking out, that you will receive a double fine. Good location and only a 5 minute walk to all the shops in Lamai.

Room Tip: choose a hut close to the beach less street noise
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The owner greated us while boarding the ferry to Samui. We payed upfront, and got the room we were promised without problems. Transfer from the ferry was quick, easy and free.

We stayed in a 2 person beachfront bungalow. It was a lottle too small small (opening 2 suitcases leaves too little room to pass them), but the beachfront location & price made up for it. The bungalow was clean and had the best-functioning mosquito net we experienced on our Thailand trip.

The food at the restaurant was great & good value, we loved New Hut's atmosphere. It is a short walk to Lamai Beach center, grocery stores can be found nearby.

I'd be happy to stay at New Hut on our next trip.

Room Tip: Book before boarding the ferry.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple