“Ok”
Review of Utopia Resort

Utopia Resort
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Not a bad hotel but tried to charge me more for our room even though I had booked a twin through Asia hotels they said price was wrong would have to charge more but I refused and asked for refund then they sorted location good right on beach lamai is a nice quite area beach can be clear but at other times a bit murky we found a better hotel further down called Mariana villa same money but much better booked trips with Amadeus travel ask for o say Darian sent you everything very very good there every trip we had was great and when we left our boat and flights to chiang rai all ran on time

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank dariandoreen

Reviewed February 27, 2014

If you are seeking a less traveled beach with less nightlife and noise than Chewang beach to the north of Lamai, this is a simple but very good option. the bungalows are not luxurious, but if you're coming here to stay in the room you are making a mistake anyway.... everything is clean and well maintained, the beach front is virtually right there, and the restaurant is very very good.
the only negative is cigarette smoke..... but that will vary of course based on who is there- I'm just used to better policies on that.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank reckles
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I choose this resort after another one because i wanted a more typical resort.
The staff is really nice . Place really clean . The restaurant have good foods and good coktails.The resort is really really close to the beach which it's a good point !!

I really recommand !!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cyrille V
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The reception:
- Not very good in english
- Sometimes not very helpful

The rooms:
- spacious bungalow (#7)
- loud air-con in the older bungalows
- fridge refiled with water
- cleaned properly each day!

The beach:
- the best spot on Lamai
- great sun beds (people actually come and pay for the same you get for free)
- clean water, but not clear (hard to get better on Koh Samui)

The restaurant:
- good enough breakfast (ask for muesli, yogurt, fruit, juice & tee/coffee if you want to be healthy)
- nice fresh juices
- there is plenty other places to eat for lunch or dinner
- friendly staff

Room Tip: Bungalow #7 is right in between the road and the beach. Dark wood bungalow with enough space.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kamil G
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The fact that the staff and owner took great care of me, the linens were constantly changed and room perpetually scoured without me having to ask, and the close proximity to the everything.

In all honesty, Utopia Resort is not the poshest of hotels, but the service was definitely 5 star. Every single time I left my room, and came back, my bed linens had been changed, fresh towels had replaced my used ones, all bathroom surfaces were scoured, shiny, and spot free, and paper products were constantly replenished, as well as bottled water. I know for a fact that I dragged in more sand than there was on the beach, yet there was never a speck of sand after my room had been made up. The owner is lovely, and took the time out of her day to speak to me, and many other guests, to make sure we were doing ok, and to ask if there was anything we needed. The location can't be beat! Utopia Resort is right on Lamai Beach, and is in the midst of all the local bars, massage spots, and restaurants. For the price, this resort truly wins my vote. It feels very much like being amongst family while staying there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank amylaic
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Went back to an old favourite resort for this visit to Koh Samui. This resort hasn't changed a lot in the last twenty years, the bungalows and restaurant have been upgraded and the grounds maintained but the staff are still as friendly as ever - even remembering and welcoming us back.
Perfect little resort. I did find the restaurant a little expensive and preferred to eat elsewhere. There are quite a few deckchairs on the beach for guests use. I would consider staying there again. Some of the previous reviews seem to be negative but i was happy with my stay and the facilities. The laundry was a little expensive making you pay one price per piece regardless of whether it was underwear or jeans.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MrsFreo
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for New Years from 30th December 12 to 3rd Jan 13.

It looked nice and modern on our arrival, this is where our positive opinion of it ended. When checking in the owner was friendly enough but then showed why it was like moving in to an old people's home. My girlfriend asked for the wireless password and he cracked some joke about how we youngsters can't live without the internet these days for 5 minutes. No mate, we are on the other side of the world and haven't spoken with our family for quite some time.

Anyway, we got taken to the room expecting a fairly reasonable sized room and for it to be clean with the money we had spent on it. The room turned out to be absolutely tiny with paint chipping off the walls, air conditioning that barely worked, a sink crawling with ants and a bathroom that was so filthy and smelly that their were as my girlfriend put it "siht flies" all over the walls and hovering around the toilet.

We did have breakfast included and it was quite nice as it was freshly cooked, but a piece of bacon an egg, slice of toast and tiny glass of orange juice again is not acceptable for the price we were paying.

They had a tourist desk in the reception which we went and asked for some prices for a ticket over to Koh Phangnan for NYE, here we were told 1000 baht. Not a bad price we thought for what was included, however we went 2 minutes up the road and asked another travel shop for the same thing and were given a price over 200 baht less so please make sure you check elsewhere before stumping for the price you are given here.

My review is very poor, this isn't the worst place I have stayed though, it was just very poor considering the price we paid for it and because the owner was rude and a bit weird.

Room Tip: Pay extra and get a bigger room nearer to the beach, they looked like they could have been nicer. It...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple