“Great host, good location, good price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blu' Beach Bungalows

Blu' Beach Bungalows
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Great host, good location, good price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Tony a very warm host, greeted all guests by name. Good spot just down from 5 star hotels. Small pool but that's all you need. Aircon rooms with decent bathroom for the price. All round great value and experience. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Stuman1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights and had the most amazing time. I arrivd without a reservation which surprised Tony and Sak but they quickly offered me 2 room options. I was looking for something more than backpacker but not e expense of most Koh Samui resorts. I wanted one of the air on rooms but unfortunately there wasn't one available (my fault for not booking). I went for the backpacker room which is a hell of a lot better than any other backpacker place I've stayed in South East Asia.

As many others have said Tony and his team are amazing and are what make the place. He kept me entertained over a beer- even bought me a few, he booked trips and taxis, made recommendations for things to do in Lamai and even took us out with his wife to the boxing- amazing fun!

This place is not a 5 star resort and doesnt advertise itself as such. If you want a 5 star you have to walk about 50m and there's Le Meridian which shares the same beach.

I am looking forward to coming back some day and really hope it doesn't change one bit.

Room Tip: No matter your budget there will be an awesome room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed here based on the reviews and the so called 'friendly' and 'accommodating' staff.

Nothing could've been further from the truth.

I paid in advance for airport transport and up until the day I was leaving, no one had contacted me about when my flight would be coming in and I was left to email and hope that it got to someone before I was potentially left deserted. (Luckily someone did contact me, claiming they hadn't had email access for three days. Uh huh.) I also paid for transport back to the airport, which I also had to remind them of and coordinate myself.

I asked if it'd be possible to receive help coordinating and/or planning activities during my stay. I was told that it wasn't a problem.

When I got there and throughout my stay, I was lucky if Tony (the owner) went a day without giving me some sort of attitude. I took it upon myself to figure out how to plan out what I wanted to do, which proved a bit of a challenge since I didn't know the language, area and didn't have a contact number I could use in Thailand.

When I got into my room the first night, there were probably around 40-50 dead bugs on the nightstand. I've lived on islands before, there are bugs. I get it. I brushed it off but it was just too much on top of everything else. I ordered a drink and said 'you can just charge this to my card, right?' I told that, yes, it was possible. Fast forward to the day I was leaving (meaning, luggage in hand, cab waiting, needed to get to the airport), Tony tells me I have a bill to settle. Great timing. It was for around 700 baht which i didn't have on me since I was leaving and, you know, didn't feel the need to stock up on baht. He told me he couldn't charge my card because it was done through something or other in Australia (seems legit) and then got huffy with me as he went to go get someone who knew Thai to operate the card machine. Meanwhile, I'm standing there sweating and watching the clock, apparently being the only one who was aware that planes don't wait for people who made a poor choice in lodging and have to deal with an owner who has no sense of customer service or even basic decency.

One night (around 8pm), I came back from a day long fishing trip hoping to get some food once I got back to the hotel. Tony informed me that the kitchen was closed and with a scolding tone said, 'You couldn't have gotten something while you were out?' Yeah, thanks a lot.

The handful of times I asked for a cab to be called for me, I was mostly told to go stand out on the street and just...wait for one. Normally that wouldn't be a huge problem but when it's 90+ degrees out, I'd rather not.

The room I was in was satisfactory. All of the essentials were there and, aside from the bugs, was mostly clean. The bed was like sleeping on concrete but after being out all day, that usually didn't matter much.

The only thing that I was impressed with during my stay there was how often I was made to feel like a pest given the limited amount of time I was actually there. In addition to always having a drink in his hand, that seems to be Tony's only talent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aubject
Joshua K, Public Relations Manager at Blu' Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hello 'aubject',
I would like to respond to your claims by firstly sincerely apologising that you did not enjoy your stay. I find it rather difficult reading your post as we always try to ensure that all of our guests feel as though they are comfortable and happy at the resort.
I would firstly like to address the bug issue, by once again apologising to you and all of our guests. For a short time there we were over run with bugs at the resort. Although it wasn't something we could control, we quickly ordered a bug exterminator to come to the resort and spray the bungalows as the guests checked out. It may have been when you left that the exterminator came into your room, because we can not spray the rooms while we have guests living in them.
When it comes to our resort staff, I am a little confused. We rarely ever have any complaints about the resort staff and pride ourselves on being helpful and friendly to all of our guests. Sure, everybody can have an off day and perhaps this was the case however if it was something more I am terribly sorry that it made your holiday a little less than satisfying. We have a number of Thai staff also who would have been more than happy to help you plan your days. Sak, our Chef and general hand has been with the resort for a number of years, speaks english well and is more than knowleadgable about the local area.
You will be happy to know we are also working on a number of improvements in the resort when it comes to administration, taking care of our guests needs and even the restaurant opening hours.
Please keep in mind that we are a small resort (only 3-4 staff running a resort from early morning to late evening). We do have some limitations as we are required to stretch our staff over a number of tasks and duties for long periods everyday. I am aware that this is no excuse for failure of our guests, but sometimes we do find ourselves stretched between a huge amount of tasks. Hopefully in the near future along with all of our improvements we will be able to increase staff numbers to better accomodate our guests.
There is one last thing I would like to address. I felt that you're complaints, however valid they may be were ended rather distastefully by personally attacking our resort manager. The number one compliment they receive is in regards to the bar area.
Our resort manager does indeed have a beer with our guests, we like our staff to mingle with our guests and generally most of our guests love the laid back style of resort that we are. The duties required of him in looking after our guests, are still accomplished on a day to day basis. Most of our guests come to Samui to relax and eat and drink. We provide beautiful buffets when our guests request it and delicious meals that often result in people quoting "best chef on the island". We take pride in this, and like to enjoy it with our guests. So yes, a beer in hand is often the case, but is done with the guests to get to know them, enjoy their company and provide a friendly environment four our them.
It's what works for us. And all opinions are of course accepted but I do not think it grants a personal attack on our staff.
Unfortunately, being late for your flight when you have a bill to settle can in no way be controlled by our staff either. Generally in my experience most bills are settled upon checking out which is how we operate also.
Thankyou for staying with us at the Weekender Villa Beach Resort.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

We had the beach front bungalow with a view you cannot fault. Gorgeous if you want to pay the extra for that view. The other bungalows are set behind the bar area and more in a shaded area covered by trees etc. pretty much only one of the other bungalows can see the sea.

The pool was gorgeous, clean and refreshing. We only ate breakfast there and the pancakes were delicious.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. Koh Samui itself is very touristy and quite pricey in comparison to its neighbouring islands. But that's not the resorts fault. Lamai town is about 25 mins walk back to the resort.

• Stayed June 2012
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

absolutely great place to stay, close enough to la mai and chaweng but far enough that all that noise isn't constantly in your face. Great value, lovely staff (aussie tony and his wife, along with sak), delicious food, been craving a club sandwich ever since i left! Rooms were clean. Dvd player in room and a load of dvd's avaiable to watch. can't recommend it enough. only downside is that wi fi only works in a 30m radius from router so had to go to bar area to use it, not a major problem just a bit awkward when skyping home and stuff. Also you tend to get ripped off as regards taxi's at night but can't blame the hotel for that.

Room Tip: all rooms are good, bar isn't open late so everywhere is quiet, apparently back packers room doe...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Hi,

This is a fantasic bungalow place on a teriific part of Lamai beach, just out of the main part of town but close enough when want to go out.

The owner/managers Tony & Gai are terrific people, very helpful, friendly & try to accomodate everyone .
The rooms are very clean, good value with facilities safe dvd etc, great location with a pool inimmeditely in front of the beach, Makes a great place for a relaxing afternoon, few quite beers, however you want .

I've been to this place 3 times in the last, 6 months, its the only place I would now stay in Lamai and I have been staying in Samui for over 17 years.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

What a great resort with such a friendly and easy going owner Tony. From the moment we arrived at 8:30pm we felt like we were visiting relatives. This place is so laid back, quiet location away from the madness, perfect for relaxing.

I have never been to many resorts where the owner knows you by the name and that makes this place special.

The staff is amazing always smiling and pleasant.

Everything comes out so quick, food, cocktails..it wasnt that busy but I am sure this is the service you get all the time.
The pool is nice and clean quite small if you like to swim but it was perfect for us as we cant swim anyway. The beach is quite rocky so you will have to walk about 10-minutes to Lamai or hire a scooter which will take 5 minutes.
This is a perfect place to relax with friends by ther pool past midnight with some snacks and drinks from seven eleven..the noise from the water on the beach is so calming.

Ijust wish we had more sunny days to fully enjoy the resort.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ibis Samui Bophut
ibis Samui Bophut
#48 of 187 in Bophut
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,447 reviews

Been to Blu' Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!