“It was pure magic”

Silavadee Pool Spa Resort
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Silavadee Pool spa resort was fabulous, it was peaceful and the views were amazing from our balcony suite. The staff were just wonderful and helped us in every way to have a wonderful holiday. We would particularly like to thank Bee at the reception desk.
The resort was kept extremely clean, and the fresh food served in the restaurant was something to write about in a good review.
Thankyou for helping to make our holiday to Koh Samui the best we have ever had, and we will be returning in 12 months to see more of this wonderful paradise.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank catAdelaide

Reviewed March 31, 2010

Booked this place partially on how nice the resort photos looked. Unfortunately, here are some realities to keep in mind:

1. Not on one of the major beaches. This means it's annoying to get off the resort at all, and you really should try. They do run some shuttles, but not many, so you'll have to pay for cabs every time
2. The hotel is located on what seems to be a hill/cliff, so to get there, you drive a winding path uphill past another resort and a lot of construction
3. Has its own tiny beach, but it's very rocky. Can't do much there but ... sunbathe
4. Infinity pool is nice but on the small side
5. It might be because we went during a shoulder period, but the resort was quite empty

Some good points:
1. The hotel itself is very nice - loved the decoration, the rooms are comfy and elegant, the toiletries provided are very nice
2. The employees are very, very nice
3. The suites look pretty nice - have their own pools
4. Breakfast at the restaurant was always very pleasant

It's too bad the hotel is so nice and charming because its location is a deal-killer.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janes_on_holiday
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Overall, this is merely an OK hotel. For the price you should skip it and go elsewhere. I have spent significant time on Samui and been to many hotels there, so you should heed my warning.

The people going ga-ga over this hotel have obviously not been to many other hotels on Koh Samui and/or are on their wedding/honeymoon and are in such a state of bliss that everything is wonderful.

My girlfriend was treated like a prostitute, was extremely offended, and we checked out the next morning. But I'll save those juicy details for later, here is a balanced review. Caveat Emptor.

The room is large and beautiful. The bed is very, very comfortable. Most rooms have a view of the sea, which is nice. The balcony is very nice. I like the fruit bowl as a welcome gift, that mango was tasty, don't be afraid to dig in! I liked the rainhead shower.

Room Cons: Internet access was difficult to setup - neither their wireless nor wired access worked. I had to help the staff troubleshoot, they didn't know how to fix it, and I fixed it for them. Another con is that the room is so new, there was significant "outgassing", which is when toxic gases are leaching from new materials, like a new car smell.

Restaurant - has a very nice view and both outdoor and indoor options, which is nice to have. If it gets too hot, enjoy the aircon; if you want the breeze and umbrella table go for it. The breakfast buffet had problems though.

BB problem #1) The staff asked me what drink I wanted, I said black tea and orange juice. It took 30 minutes to arrive. I had to ask them what happened and they said "you didn't want it delivered to your room?". Yeah. What?? No [---], I'm sitting right here eating breakfast, why would I want that?

BB problem #2) I arrived later in the morning. It was obvious that the food had been sitting out ALL morning, not freshened. Is that a word? Anyway, a good breakfast buffet is not going to let food sit out for 4-5 hours. You leave enough out to keep patrons happy and keep refreshing it, it's not rocket science.

BB problem #3) On the smaller side, you may not have enough choice for your taste.

BB problem #4) Half the staff was really nice and friendly, half were surly/rude. My expectation of a hotel is that 100% of the staff is nice, not 50%. It's called customer service people.

BB problem #5) Ants. I've stayed at a lot of Samui hotels. You're simply going to see a lot of wildlife. But at a "5-star hotel"? Heck no. Never. But they were all over the place. Distracting to eat when ants are crawling all over you.

The pool area was a bit small. The infinity pool is beautiful, but it's small - don't expect to be doing any laps. The pool is also built on a rocky cliff. Beautiful views, but you have to walk quite a ways down to the "beach". Pool area seemed a bit run down.

The "beach" pros - cool, large boulders that you can climb all over, if you like climbing boulders, which I do. But this is not a typical beach. The sand is very coarse, even rocky. You're not going to be seeing any nice white sandy beaches here, you will have to travel to Silver Beach, Lamai, or Chaweng. The water is very clear, but if you want to get in it, wear some sandals or you will cut your feet. Swimming? Good luck with that.

Location - the hotel is tucked away and is not close to Lamai or Chaweng. If you really want a retreat, this will work. If you want to explore Samui, there are better hotels with better accessibility.

Ok, now to the rude staff part.

Let me preface by saying, I am a very happy, smiles-first person. I am never surly or rude to staff; in fact, I often go out of my way to learn their names. I always greet Thai staff in their language and ask them how they are doing today? I always use the wai, the traditional greeting gesture. They are usually delighted that a foreigner has learned to speak their language and wai, so if staff is rude to me, you better believe they are really rude, with no provocation on my part.

I purchased 2 nights at Silavadee as a surprise birthday present to my girlfriend. After checking in, we went out to Bophut for a romantic dinner at Zazen the first night (recommended!). When we returned, we were in bliss, locked arm-in-arm, after a great night together.

Upon walking into the main lobby area, we were stopped and the staff member proceeded to treat my girlfriend like a prostitute, a bar girl. He said I would not be able to let her in, was she a registered guest? They had policies against that. Etc. The staff member didn't bother to check our room number or even bother to be polite. He was just making baseless accusations. My girlfriend, needless to say, was extremely insulted, upset, and in tears. Obviously our beautiful night was COMPLETELY RUINED.

Do you have a girlfriend/wife with dark colored skin/ethnic features? If so, they may assume she is a Thai bar girl/prostitute and treat you this way. I guess this is a White's Only hotel.

After awhile I told him to [--] off and we walked back to the room anyway. It was too late at night to switch hotels. I walked back down to the lobby to have some words with the staffer, got his name, and his manager's name.

The next morning it got even worse. I spoke to the manager, LUKE, over the phone, and he basically proceeded to defend his staffer. When I told him how upset my girlfriend was, he didn't seem to care. He offered a room upgrade for the 2nd night, but that was because the hotel was basically empty. I told him my girlfriend was so upset that we were not staying and would like a refund for the 2nd night. I didn't ask for a refund for the first night, I'm a reasonable person, we stayed in the room, but we were leaving. No go. No refund offered. I was just stunned that any hotel would not bend over backward to make it up to us for one bad apple, especially a "5-star hotel", but apparently racism runs deep there.

Now, given that situation, I could have tanked this review. Did I? No. As a fair and balanced review, I really believe this hotel is not worth staying at, given all my other comments. There really are better choices in Samui.

But now combine that with extremely rude, insulting staff and I would definitely recommend NOT EVER staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
16  Thank PortlandZach
SilavadeeManagement, General Manager at Silavadee Pool Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

Dear Reviewers,

Silavadee Pool Spa Resort wishes to thank you all for sharing your experiences with the Trip Advisor community. We value constructive comments regarding area's we can improve our services and facilities. We're extremely pleased with the improvements we've made in levels of service, facilities/activities and value for money...extra shuttle services, free WiFi and complimentary late check outs to name just a few.

When guests are not satisfied during their time with us, it is important for us to know where we could have done better and that's why we appreciate speaking with you all during the course of your stay, so we have the opportunity to improve your experience with us before departure.

On rare occassions, we are unable to meet guests expectations and we accept that reviewers have the opportunity to share their grievances. Of course, there are two sides to every story and we feel it necessary to respond to PortlandZach.

PortlandZach failed to mention in his review that he checked in alone. Upon his return to the hotel, the attentive night Reception simply asked to make a quick photocopy of his partners ID card. As is standard in most private resorts, each guest staying in the hotel must be accounted for, in the unlikely event of an emergency. It also ensures their partner can enjoy our buffet breakfast the following day at no charge. Unfortunately, PortlandZach misunderstood the good intentions of our staff.

Being a Thai owned and Thai/foreign managed hotel, we were surprised to hear that PortlandZach felt he had been treated racially. We've since implemented a new procedure for clearly communicating any discrepncies from the original agent voucher, to our guests.

Thanks again to all those that have contributed to help Silavadee Pool Spa Resort achieve higher levels of guest satisfaction.

Luke Salway
Resident Manager

Reviewed March 16, 2010

the Silavadee resort is sensational, I spent my birthday their, my highlight is the resort offers different advantures, my advanture was gliding through the tree tops in the forest on cables, it was amazing, the pool omg i watched the sunrise every morning from the pool, very relaxing very hospitable.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I enjoyed a couple of lazy days at this classy site, constructed nicely onto a slope/cliff.. The jacuzzi rooms on the top floors are large and the view from the balconies is absolutely gorgeous. The 50,000 baht/night villa must be lovely too but for me the rooms are just as fine. While the pool area is rather small, the little ''private beach'' (not that private for much longer as there is construction in the planning for another resort) gave enough room to feel robinsonesque.
I liked the small but good breakfast buffet with smoked salmon and fresh mangos - amongst others. In the evening, the restaurant scales down to ''so-so".
I would check-in tomorrow again, if I could....

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Visited Silavadee with my wife and another couple for 4 nights. I was inclined to stick to known chains such as Amari/Centara, however, after reading the great reviews on tripadvisor decided to go for Silavadee - am sure glad I did.

Positives:

- the staff: genuinely friendly and service oriented without any expectations of a tip (something that puts me off in hotels here in the middle east). Staff are very unobtrusive but present when you need them - you get your privacy. Joyce - the lovely lady at the reception who managed our checkin formalities and also kept a regular check on how we were doing.

- the pool: picture an infinity pool opening to the ocean - the best setting for a pool I have seen. (the pool in itself is not an Olympic size pool - its a decent size more for a leisurely swim)

- Rooms - very tastefully done and the Jacuzzi in the balcony was a perfect place to watch the sunset in the evening. They also have an IPOD dock along with an IPOD which is a first for me. We stayed in the ocean view room - although this costs more than a regular room - the premium you pay for the ocean view is worth it.

- the breakfast area: As the hotel is located on a cliff - you get a great view of the ocean from the breakfast area. The breakfast was included in the package - good selection of fruits, cold cuts, fresh juices, coffee/tea etc. They also toss up a variety of eggs (the scrambled eggs were one of the best I have tasted) and there are bacon/sausage options.

- complimentary snorkeling and kayaking equipment - the sea around the hotel was choppy so did not end up using these. Also, internet access was complementary.

- complementary shuttle bus services to Lamai and Chaweng beaches.

- Rates for airport pickup/drop were comparable with the rates charges by airport taxis THB600 a way.

Things to keep in mind:
- Location: the hotel is not located on Lamai beach. To get there, you take the shuttle bus or hire a car/bike. The hotel has its own little private beach though.
- the sea around the hotels private beach was choppy when compared to the sea at other beaches such as Fishermans Village, 5 Islands. So did not end up going into the sea around the hotel at all.
- Spa seemed expensive and the spa owner/manager came accross as a very pushy person.

Overall : One of the best hotels I have stayed in for service, rooms, pool. I would go back to Samui for Silavadee.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JDS9
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Friendly staff, nice rooms, outstanding restaurant (because of the view) and the island is amazing. The only problem is that the english staff is very limited, and any other "not normal" question can't be answered.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Silavadee Pool Spa Resort? Share your experiences!