“The Most Wonderful, Magical Wedding Imaginable”

Silavadee Pool Spa Resort
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed January 23, 2010

55 of us gathered ~December 26 2009 - January 6 2010 at Silavadee Resort for the wedding of my son Toby & daughter-in-law Ann -- both from Vancouver. We were from all parts of the planet: California, Canada, China, Sydney, Brisbane, Abu-Dhabi, Plymouth, Kent, Thailand, Hong-Kong, Germany, Budleigh Salterton -- and Nokie, Luke and all the staff at Silavadee created the most magical and delightful, indeed perfect, time for us all. Toby had proposed to Ann romantically on top of Whistler Mountain in the springtime and they sought to have a magically romantic wedding with family and friends from everywhere to share their joy and love fully over nearly a fortnight of amazing celebrations. The Beach Wedding was utterly memorable for everyone creating within us all a sense of sat-chit-ananda and I cannot write any greater praise for Nokie, Luke and everyone at Silavadee.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Silavadee Pool Spa Resort

Reviewed January 16, 2010

This resort is located at a cliff build of rocks and is about 30 meters above sea level. There are appr. 20 Pool Villas. Only a few of them have Ocean View. The Villas are spacious and nice. The beach is very small (150 meters) and is not cleaned up by the hotel. There is no service at the beach.

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks. I would not recommend anyone to stay more than 3 days there. It's boring, there are no activities, there is no gym, there is no area to walk around. The Spa is very small, you may have standard massages, but it's very expensive compared to local offerings (4 times more expensive).

There is a restaurant at the hotel with a very nice view on the ocean. I've never seen a restaurant before in my whole life providing such a worst service and bad food. Non of the service personnel seemed to have an education on how to serve. If you order something may be you get it or not or the food of another table or a complete different order. The personnel was very friendly but not able to provide service. We had to complain at the manager several times. The food was terrible 50% of the days. Even for Thai food. But it went worse. There was no day were for breakfast everything was ok. Adulterated milk, fermented fruits, long waiting times for eggs or french toast, if on the buffet something was empty it took ages to be refilled. After one week we went outside for dinner.

The room service is a little bit better but it took 2 days to remove a dead gecko from the pool. The manager had to do it after several complaints. The room service appeared sometimes not until 4 pm. The pool was cleaned only every 5 days. Because of the tropic climate the hotel performs a pest control once a week in the area. But insects come into the Villas. We found dead cock roaches 4 times.

Overall, this hotel has no charm it appears artificial. I guess the concept of the hotel is to get people there for a few days, people who will never return.

My personal opinion is that this hotel is far away from being a 5 star hotel. The quality of the service is at most THREE STAR. Before booking this hotel I read a lot of excellent reviews here. information here. I cannot believe that we were the only customers of this hotel with this bad experience. We met other hotel guests complaining similar things.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ckr_10
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We spend almost a week and we have the best of times. The standard room is really good, lot of space, big comfty bed and bathroom. The view from the balcony was good too.
Not too many people and for us worked just fine! The breakfast could be a litlle better.
The spa although expensive worth every cent.
Excellent service from the staff. they were all very nice and helpfull.
Overall it was a great experience and we are definitely coming back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Stayed in November (statistically main rain season, but luckily had no rain) that is off season and hotel was rather empty (about 10 couples visible). But the venue is really charming and an extremely nice stay for a couple.
We used the regular rooms and not the villas. But the rooms were very spacious and hence you could use your room also for relaxing and were not forced to stay outside. First we had a room at 2nd floor (#211), then at 3rd floor (#301) (due to generator noise at the end of the 3rd hotel building, smootheless roomtransfer by very friendly staff arranged) and at both the view is stunning! The second room was with an outside jacuzzi. But it's not worth the upgrade as the water isn't warm and there were only six nozzles with limited power (tried it once and it was enough).
The main pool is one of the best we've ever been, as the endless horizon is always with you (and you could really use it for swimming). Only disadvantage: all lies are used up (don't know what they do at main season) - therefore limited space (but enough distance to the next couple). AND: sun is hiding after about 14:00 as everything is arranged to the east and you lie in the shadow.
We therefore rented a scooter at the hotel (300,- THB/day; approx 6,- EUR; in town you get them for approx 250,- THB) and drove daily to Lamai beach (10min). There you can use sun loungers at the beach in front of a small bar (recommend Zuli Strandbar) for free and enjoy your cocktail or massage.
Another advantage: the hotel beach was not useable due to the east wind, at Lamai beach we were facing a calm sea.
Hotel restaurant was good but not over the top as the menue is limited (although it was the first time that my wife and I had dinner in a restaurant alone...).
Breakfast was very fine and it is combined from buffet and menue (and as an European I have to stress that you have three kind of coffees to choose from!).
If you don't rent a scooter or go by taxi then you are fixed to the hotel as there is nothing outside the hotel. The main road is reached after 800m, with a few convinient stalls.
Getting there: We went with Air Asia via Surat Thani/main land to avoid the more expensive direct flight to Koh Samui. But it's not worth as to the island the transfer was 4h (bus, ship, hotel shuttle) and back to the airport even 5,5h (shuttle, ship, bus, another bus). The official hotel price for the local airport or port transfer is higher than in Lamai. But as I asked if they can match the local prices, they did it without complaint.
To sum it up: for relaxing it is the best you can get around.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2009

It was probably the nicest resort either of us has ever stayed at. We stayed at two other relatively comparable (pricewise) hotels in Thailand on our trip and this was far and away the best. It is about a 10 minute drive or so from any active part of the town, which to me was a good thing in relation to relaxation and nature. But, depending on the intention of your trip this may influence the decision. The staff was top notch, the food was in the top 2 meals we had on Koh Samui, the rooms immaculate and perfectly designed. If we went back to Koh Samui we would definitely stay here again. As someone mentioned, the beach is not the best for swimming, but it is quiet and relaxing and the main pool is great and has an unbeatable pool. Plus, many of the cabins have their own pool.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JavaJonesing
Reviewed December 16, 2009

I really cant express myself well enough to justifiably describe my experience at Silavadee. Having traveled to places as far as Bora Bora, I can safely say that the service was the best of all the places I have ever stayed in. This, I believe, is the most important part of any vacation because improper service leaves a sourness and frustration which completely negates the enjoyment.
I stayed at Silavadee for 4 nights. For starters I found an English speaking person at the time of booking which really was a blessing in disguise. I had called various resorts earlier and found it very difficult to communicate my requirements to them. Their residential manager, Luke, is a great guy who really, I believe, has set a benchmark for great service.
Everything was great. We had a private pick up in a comfortable SUV which looked better than all of the other pick up vehicles I spotted at the airport. A staff from the hotel came to pick us up personally and addressed all our queries with regards to the city, ATM's, conveyance, etc. That I must say was a very good gesture, I mean the hotel could have sent their driver with our name cards also.
The check in was seamless. 5 minutes and we were off to our room. The room I must say was simply outstanding. It smelled great and was very clean. We had a private pool which also was awesome. The construction of the resort is very well thought out. Even though our pool was not sea facing, yet it ensured that no one could peep into my room or the pool. A buggy was always available on call to take us from one part of the hotel to the other and the staff were always polite and responsive to calls even during odd hours.
The food at the restaurant was good. I won't say great because me and my wife are vegetarians. We were really touched by the efforts which the chef took to ensure our appetites did not suffer. The hotel also has a private beach well manned by security.
Luke, helped us in planning our activities which included Scuba Diving, a trip to the Tamarind Springs (must visit for all spa lovers) and all other travels. We hired a car on one day and a scooter on the other. Both were ready within 15 mins of our intimation. I would recommend hiring a 2 wheeler because its the cheapest (much cheaper than all other modes including Taxi), safe and also a lot of fun.
If there is any drawback, its the location of the hotel. Its about 15 mins from the main areas and there are plenty of resorts there too. But I really doubt the quality of service and property at other places. I, for one, did not mind travelling to and fro at all. Its real easy if you hire a 2 wheeler. The hotel also has shuttle service to the main areas throughout the day, so I guess they have done their bit. Overall, I think it is a very small drawback against the quality of their resort and exemplary service.
The next time I go to Koh Samui, I shall think of no other place to stay. Kudos guys.. Keep it up! Cya soon..

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JGOENKA
Reviewed December 13, 2009

A very perfect and nice hideaway hotel. It was amazing. Everything was perfect. Accommondations, pool, restaurant and stuff were excellent. Next time we will book a villa.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Silavadee Pool Spa Resort? Share your experiences!