Karlaby Kro
  • Breakfast included
$153
$64
Hotwire.com
All reviewsfive star hotelgourmet dinnerrooms are nicefarmswedensaunabridgekerstinkro
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This was my second visit to Karlaby, love the setting and the place itself. Food is simply excellent! Was a bit disappointed by the service this time, had to wait long at the table several times and staff not very friendly (or rather, the staff feels very "individual" with some being professional and nice while some seeming to be rather new and not very nice). In this kind of place I would expect much better service, and it was much better last time I visitied. Holiday time so many kids which was somewhat disturbing as they were very loud. Would prefer to have a separate kid's swimming pool or have some hours when kid's are not allowed in the recreational area. After all, the advertisement is to come to Karlaby and relax...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Well worth the trip from Malmo or even Copenhagen. Fantastic michelin level food in a very relaxing, rustic and at the same time modern setting. We didn't really have time to explorer the surroundings, but didn't feel the need, as we just wanted to switch off for two days. I have been to a "similar" spa in Skane, but it was no where close in terms of food and service.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KamiMac
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I have visited this hotel three times, it's one of my favorites in Sweden.

Fantastic food and service! Probably the best experience I have ever had in the region.

The Spa-region is cosy, but lacks a bubble-patth.

Try to get one of the rooms on the second floor, they are bigger.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We had a great stay at this hotel. Its setting is very rural, and it is a lovely spot to relax. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. There is a decent pool and the breakfasts are feasts. The evening meal could be a little "fussy" but the food was generally excellent. I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting a peaceful base to explore the Skane area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WDPP
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stayed at Karlaby in August 2008. We'd been in Skane for a couple of weeks to see my wife's family and treated ourselves to our last night here. We'd come from a truly awful youth hostel in Ystad so the contrast with Karlaby could not have been greater!

The hotel is a converted farm but it has been done very sympathetically. The public spaces are really chilled and very tastefully decorated. The pool is small but adequate and the sunbeds outside are so wonderfully relaxing. As soon as we arrived we had a quick swim and then lay on the beds for a couple of hours reading.

The room we had was superb. Big, spacious with a huge bathroom with excellent toiletries, shower etc. It was really clean and well looked after. An excellent bed, really so very comfortable.

But we were there really for the food. We'd been to several gastro places through Skane and this was our last. We'd also bought a copy of the White Guide so had some clues as to what to expect and what to compare it with. Of the three places we stayed at in the White Guide I would say that Karlaby was second. The food was quite delicious. It is such a change to go somewhere and have the chef really play with flavours and textures compared to the UK where so much now is locally sourced (I'm all in favour of that) and simply cooked. But I can do that at home. If I'm paying top whack for food then I expect the chef to do something special with the ingredients and they did here. We had a super four course meal with wine that complemented it well.

The breakfast the following morning was the best we had in Skane. Really good breads, cheeses, meats etc, etc, etc. So much food that it lasted right through until we got the flight out of Copenhagen that evening (well almost).

A really great place to stay - but not cheap. Wine in Sweden is also so very expensive. Not in the shops, but restaurants bleed you dry. But that's the way it's always been, it's just a bit of shock when you have to pay £25 for the cheapest bottle on the wine list. The chef's selection of three/four glasses that we had to go with our meal was nearly £40 each - £80 for wine!!! Be prepared!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple