“Lovely setting”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gnesta
Stockholm, Sweden
“Lovely setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Nestled in the woods near to Gnesta in the lovely landscape of Södermanland in Sweden, Södertuna Castle is a well known establishment for both conference and private leisure. Together with some friends we were having a "castle weekend". The surroundings are beautiful and the castle itself is both cosy and impressive with a long history and up-to-date amenities and service. Being there for pleasure - along with around a hundred other guests - we expected much of the dinner. This was, however, a disappointment. The four course meal consisted of three cold dishes: cured beef as a starter (rather mediocre), a cheese plate with three cheeses from the supermarket, and an apple pie - more pie than apple... The main course was a grilled fish (Uer) said to be served with a lobster sauce. The plate was getting cold upon arrival at the table, leaving a clear effect on the sauce. Above all, the fish was ruined by an enormous amount of salt.
This is not top quality cooking. Too many guests for the kitchen to handle and too long way between the kitchen and the tables.
For a really good culinary experience in the same category look elsewhere. For instance to Thoresta Herrgård near Bålsta (30 km north of Stockholm).

The rooms was very nice with very good beds indeed. Breakfast good with a large buffet. Staff very friendly and helpful - but, in view of the amount of guests, a bit underpowered.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vierdank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
54-40
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

I visited Sodertuna Slott with my colleagues, many of whom were Swedish & European, but also a handful of Canadians and Americans. I landed at Arlanda and none of the cab drivers knew where Gnesta was... got lost in the countryside but it was beautiful.

Reception was nice, I had flown across the Atlantic and taken the red-eye to Amsterdam, and then another flight to Stockholm - I was very tired. I asked for a salad to be brough to my room - and my salad had a salmon filet on it (I am allergic to salmon)... the staff merely removed the salmon - I don't think they understood "allergic". They gave me a look - a dirty look, insinuating that there was something wrong with me!

Besides being allergic to salmon, I also do not eat game... and this was clearly the wrong time of year to be at Sodertuna Slott. It was GAME GAME and MORE GAME. Roe Deer, Reindeer, duck, (and more salmon).... I think every meal was either game or salmon. So, I told them I was vegetarian. So.....they just gave me the side dishes, the mashed potatoes etc., nothing else. I was expecting pasta, quiche, risotto... anything. No.... just mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables.

The beds were extremely comfortable and the lovely touches like the heated towels were fantastic.

it's a very quiet place, very relaxing. We had a nice time.

If you have any dietary needs, I'd be sure to let them know in advance, and perhaps not use your North American accent, perhaps have a swede tell the staff for you. It might go over better with Swedish delivery.

The staff were a bit stuffy, a bit reserved, not too friendly. Customer service is not their strong suit. They did not appear to like to exert themselves to make you happy.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

Very nice get away!

Just less than an hour away from Stockholm there are a lot of small castles, mansions and other nice get away places. Some of them are very focused on business customers during the weeks but some of them are very nice for private parties to.

We have visited a few of them but recently had our nicest stay yet. We went for a romantic get away to Södertuna Slott just as the first snow arrived. We booked a weekend package called “Magical Södertuna Slott” and paid extra for a more special room called “Gemak”. We booked the room called “Grevinnan Ebbas Gemak”. Our room was fantastic and the bed marvelous. The CD-player was hidden in a cupboard and the speakers was located under the bed in an attempt to hide all the modern items. The Flat Screen TV did not disturb the 18:th century impression of the room. The bathroom was also decorated in old style. All rooms is located in wings that is separated from the main building.

When we arrived on Saturday afternoon we checked in and were very nicely welcomed by several persons of the staff. We went for a short winter walk in the surroundings before we were served a magnificent afternoon tea buffet. There were sandwiches, scones, cotted cream, different marmalades, jam, cakes and lots of different pastries. They had their own blend of tea and also different teabags and of course Swedish coffee.

After the after noon tea buffet we joined a guided tour (in Swedish) of the castle. We skipped the Spa (Sauna, Pool, massage, outdoor heated wooden bathtub, bar and pool table) and went straight back to our room and relaxed in the comfy bed. In the evening we were able to start our four course dinner between 19.00 and 20.30. After that we had coffee and cognac and a drink in the salons.

At a whole it was a perfect romantic get away. The room was a bit cold but the reception arranged with an extra radiator. We could here the guests upstairs if they wandered around with high heals but at other times it was quiet. We strongly recommend this quite expensive get away. It’s a bit more expensive then some of the other establishments but at the same time it’s not the most expensive place to visit. And we felt luxurious and spoiled.

• Liked — The environment
  • Disliked — Actually nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gnesta
Trosa Stadshotell & Spa
Gripsholms Vardshus and Hotel
Oster Malma
Oster Malma
#2 of 9 in Nykoping

Been to Sodertuna Slott? Share your experiences!