“Hmmm...”
Review of Skopelos Cycling

Skopelos Cycling
Ranked #2 of 6 Tours in Skopelos Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy Skopelos on a bicycle. Work your way around the island and you will be rewarded with beautiful views, smells and sounds. Our purpose is to provide you the means to do it in the most efficient and enjoying way. All our bikes come with helmets, lights, backpacks, tools, locks and flashing jackets. We make sure that the bike you get is in the best condition.
Shipston on Stour, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Hmmm...”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

....Well, having read a couple of reviews I can only conclude that there is something very 'fishy' going on here; for a kick off we didn't see that many cyclists whilst we were on Skopelos, and for good reason I'd suggest. Unless you've gone to Skopelos to train for the Alpine section of the TdF or you're a complete masochist you'd be well advised to give cycling a swerve - if the mountainous terrain doesn't finish you off then you'd better watch out for the traffic. There were lots of things on two wheels whilst we were there but 99.9999% had an engine fitted!

Hire a jeep and go exploring, Mt Delphi is great!

Visited August 2012
4 Thank T5-Andy
skopeloscycling, Owner at Skopelos Cycling, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Andy,

I would not take the time to answer your review if you were not implying that the reviews of Skopelos cycling are not trusty.

First of all you are not reviewing my business. You are expressing your personal opinion about cyclists and about the terrain of skopelos.

To the first I can answer that yes we are strange people but I wouldn’t describe us as masochists. Although I can understand your thinking because I have faced it many times the last three year I have been cycling on Skopelos by many people. On the other hand I find it more masochistic driving around with the air conditioning on looking out the window, or having the noise of the motorbike in my ears as I explore the island, but that is again personal opinion.

As for the terrain I wouldn’t say that two tops of 680m and 560m is even close to the alpine section of TdF. I have wished many times for longer climbs but I have to travel to other places to find them. And I have only a small fraction of Wiggins skills..

Finally to answer you why Skopelos cycling gets so many good reviews think about this. You wouldn’t like driving a crappy jeep around the island I guess? My clients don’t like riding crappy bikes. This is why try to give them good quality bikes and they like it.

It would be nice if you had visited the shop before writing this review. I could give you some answers regarding cycling on Skopelos.

Panos

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
“lovely Panos and his bicycles”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We hired 2 bicycles with the intention of a coast to coast cycle ride but unfortutely I got heat exhaustion half way there and started babbling and crying so we came back. But that wasn't Panos' fault except that maybe he should have clocked our advancing years and spare tyres and suggested a shorter route...be warned, Panos is very fit and no longer notices that Skopelos is extremely hilly! But up in the forests it was beautiful and the downhills were a joy. Best day of our holiday.

Visited September 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very professional and welcoming”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Pano (the owner of the shop) is very helpful and knows well bikes technically speaking. Very good bikes almost brand new. Good prices as well especially if you rent them for a few days. You can go to this bike rental shop in good faith.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uphill Skopelos”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

It's totally worth it discovering the island by bike and with this professional support of "Skopelos Cycling" you can master even the steepest slope easily (and enjoy chilled tsipouro in Glisteri or Limnonari).
Service includes all goodies + the latest trend in reflective "disco" gear.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Pat-cute
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Quality.....”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A few days into our holiday with too much wine and food on board the legs were getting homesick for the bike so luckily we found this great shop in Skopelos Town.....what a find great bikes in great condition. Even better charming and friendly service with all the equipment you require and local route knowledge....brilliant thank you.....and great terrain....nowhere flat great ascents and great descents thank you!!!

Visited June 2012