“Jenny Coote Tokai”
Review of Old Village Lodge

Old Village Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 McGregor B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

This 5 star B&B was the highlight of our stay in the Garden Route. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable and the whole guest wing is very tastefully furnished. Nicolaas the host is a great cook and the breakfasts are to die for. He put himself out to make us welcome. We could relax around the pool in his stunning garden and of course we just loved Rupert and Sophie the poodles. I will recommend a weekend here to all my friends and I hope it won't be too long before we can visit again.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank CooteJennifer
Christy6708, Owner at Old Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Jenny,
Thank you for taking the time to rate your experience at the Old Village Lodge. I am happy to see that your recommend us so highly. Also, thank you for sending your friends here just the following week. It was great meeting them. Thank you for all the compliments you gave us on our guest house and gardens.
I would love to welcome you back to McGregor and especially at Old Village Lodge.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We have stayed at numerous lodges in the Western Cape and The Old Village Lodge is one of those that we would return to again and again. The attention to detail whether in the lodge or garden was evident throughout. Nicolaas's breakfasts were beautifully prepared and presented, and his advice about the village, restaurants and wineries close by confimed his commitment to making sure his guests have a memorable stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank David_WN7298VY

Dear David and Else,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review Old Village Lodge. I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for all the compliments you gave me and our guest house. I try my best to make all my guests feel special, and happy to see you were.
I would love to welcome you back to McGregor and especially Old Village Lodge if you have plans to visit South Africa again.
Send my sincere regards to Else,

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We have stayed at hundreds of B & B's all over South Africa. The Old Village Lodge in McGregor surpasses them all. Nicolaas does everything with total commitment and passion. The rooms are beautifully decorated, and comfortable. The food is delicious and expertly presented. The garden is a tranquil haven that immediately rejuvenates the mind and body. We will most definately be back next year on our annual visit to the Robertson Wine Valley. Well done Nicolaas.
Nigel & Mercia Corrigan
Mossel Bay

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mercia2014

Dear Mercia and Nigel,
First of all I would like to thank you for your beautiful review for Old Village Lodge. I am extremely happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay this much. Thank you for all the compliments on the food, gardens and guest house. I try my best to create a comfortable, yet stylish environment to all my guests and hope they all feel special after a visit here.
I would love to welcome you back to McGregor and especially Old Village Lodge next time you in the area.
Warm regards,

Reviewed April 4, 2014

The Old Village Lodge, without reservation, deserves its very high ranking on tripadvisor.
From my initial e-mail contact, through the uncomplicated booking process and a thoroughly enjoyable three night stay, Nicholaas, the Lodge`s patron proved to be an exemplar what a host should be.
This is a characterful lodge which has been renovated sympathetically and beautifully furnished. Our two bedrooms were spacious and came with bed and bathroom linen of a high quality. This quality and attention to detail is reflected throughout the Lodge. We commend, in particular, the provision of good drinking water in the room: this water has not been anywhere near a plastic bottle. And, thank you for not furnishing the bedrooms with t.v. If you are alarmed by this, there is a set in the lounge.
The immaculate garden with it`s secluded and shaded areas is another delightful feature of the
Lodge.
If these comments haven`t convinced you to stay, then the fact that Nicholaas is no mean a cook and serves a delicious and varied breakfast will surely.
Go out of your way to stay at the Lodge for the perfect stay. You will not regret your decision, I assure you.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank dau-dyn

Dear David and Anthony,
I would like to thank you for sharing your stay and taking the time to do a review. This is the kind of review I just want to publish all over. Thank you!! I am extremely happy you enjoyed your stay. It make all the hard work worth it. Maintaining an old house like this is hard work and you need constant maintenance.
I will give a special THANK YOU to the cleaners and our gardener as they have a huge role in our establishment. Without them I will struggle keeping the property in perfect condition for guests to enjoy.
I look forward meeting you again on your next visit to South Africa and hope I can welcome you back to Old Village Lodge then.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had a great two days at The Old Village Lodge. Nicolaas was a perfect host and made smashing breakfasts. The garden room with outside seating area was delightful. The lodge is conveniently place in the middle of the small town, which has a lovely restaurant. It's the ideal place to relax and the pool was very inviting.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JTM700
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My stay at the Old Village Lodge was very relaxing and enjoyable. Nicolaas the lodge owner went out of his way to make my visit a memorably one. The breakfasts were excellent and on par with any five star international hotel. My air conditioned room was extremely comfortable and well decorated. The lodge is set in the most wonderful garden with a sparkling pool to cool off in after a hot days drive around the Breede Valley vineyards.
Set in central McGregor The Old Village Lodge is well priced and definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: Try the room with own patio overlooking the lush garden.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Zimbo Traveller H
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Quaint, characterful old building with the most comfortable, tastefully decorated bedrooms and bathrooms. Personal attention from the owners was outstanding as was the breakfast. The pool in the garden was the perfect cooler and long enough for a little exercise as well. A perfect resting place during my business trip,

Room Tip: The Garden Room has a patio that looks out onto a delightful garden.
Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGregor
Fountain Place
Fountain Place
#2 of 9 in McGregor
Montagu Vines Guesthouse
Le Bonheur Guest Accommodation
Lord's Guest Lodge-McGregor
Rosendal Winery & Wellness Retreat
Ballinderry, The Robertson Guest House

Been to Old Village Lodge? Share your experiences!