“Total professionalism and flair!”
Review of The Stanford Table - CLOSED

The Stanford Table
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This chef/owner is a newcomer to the Stanford scene I gather. His restaurant (housed in a typical Victorian cottage on the high street) immediately breathes a level of sophistication which we did not find in other establishments in this charming and truly unspoiled village. (We ate at one other small restaurant on our weekend visit and though it offered food of a high quality it lacked the clear sense of understanding of flavour which is definitely a hallmark of the fare at 'The Standford Table if the 5 meals which our party ordered are anything to go by). Decor is restrained and carefully considered - not minimalist in the true sense but rather uncluttered and restrained but never-the-less welcoming. No music! Hurray just the chuckling sounds of fellow diners enjoying the food. (So may restaurants to my ear, have a cacophony of loud music and deafening conversation! Marion, the front of house person, is jovial and knowledgable - we heard that she is responsible for the starters and deserts - she has a very sure touch and clearly enjoys playing with flavours with great success.

I had the oven roasted tomato tart with a parmesan biscuit-like pastry - substantial, delicious and ridiculously cheap! The pork loin which was a petite but perfectly filling portion served with plain green beans and a delicious mash. The pork itself was a wonderous thing! The basting sauce an inspired mixture of sweet, sour and chilli. The frangipane tart was excellent but looked a little lonely on the plate to me - perhaps a splodge of cream or ice cream?

Really , a most surprising and (by city standards) reasonably-priced meal. No wine licence yet so we took our own - no corkage of course! Bravo Stanford! Bravo Chefs!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I loved the look of the building and the minimalist decor inside. My starter was prawns in Pernod. Delicious! For mains I had duck with a mango salsa. The meat was a most peculiar grey colour and certainly not of the pinkness I normally prefer. The salsa had an overpowering flavour of (dried?) thyme. Desert must have been run of the mill as I cannot remember what I had. Coffee was not offered even when we asked for our bill. Service was noticeably slow but with only one excellent waitress that's to be expected. If this was a school report "Must try harder" would be appropriate!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Stanford Table is the new 'kid on the block' in Stanford. It was our first visit and we really enjoyed our Sunday lunch. The food is reasonably priced and surprisingly good. The menu is somewhat limited but none of our party had any problems finding something that they liked. The slow roasted pork belly was among the best that I have tasted. Well done to all concerned. We will certainly return.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We visited Stanford over the first weekend in February and had dinner at this eatery on Saturday evening. It's a relatively small restaurant and you'll definitely need to book as it becomes better known, and over 'busy' weekends.

The restaurant opened late last year, and is being run by two foodies (Johan and Marian) who have teamed up to realise a dream. Decor is unobtrusive and modern, the food could not be faulted, and as they are (currently) unlicensed, you can BYOB. This will probably change when they get a liquor licence - but maybe not. We chatted to the cooks and they were friendly and helpful. Stanford Table is a very welcome addition to the Stanford scene, and if you are passing through, it's well worth a visit. Open Thursday to Monday for coffee/tea and lunch and on Friday and Saturday for dinner, you can reach them at 028 341 0059 for bookings.

Note: The menu has four starters, four mains and four desserts, and changes daily.

The following morning we had very good cappucinos and scones - and yes - they even had apricot jam - my favourite (along with raspberry). The scones were fresh, and good, and I consider myself a connoisseur on the subject. Served with lashings of butter on the side, but I could have done with some whipped cream (but didn't ask).

Visit Stanford - it's quaint - there's lots of accommodation in the village, and now several very good restaurants.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Mariana's was full - we tried to book, knew wew were too late; then didn't know where to eat - have had a great meal before at the Italian restaurant in town but my husband being gluten intolerant, that was a problem. We stumbled across the Stanford Table and what a great surprise and experience!!! We had a wonderful lunch, attentive service in a very elegant setting. We thoroughly recommend it.