“Charming and quaint”

Graze Slow Food Cafe
Ranked #6 of 32 Restaurants in Stanford
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Locally sourced and seasonal menu
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Charming and quaint”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Looking for an ideal day out.....look no further. Visit on a Saturday morning.

First, arrive in Sandford and have a tasty breakfast at Graze. We saw many dishes being served which made our mouths water. Staff are all warm and friendly and you feel like a local.

Do some shopping at the fresh produce market and buy cake and jams.

Then visit the antique shops and gift shops.

A perfect morning in a beautiful quaint little village.

• Visited August 2014

Durban, South Africa
“Wednesday Delight”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stopped in at Graze for breakfast on Wednesday and found that we had stumbled on to a fresh produce market. Both the market with wonderful produce and the great food [served on warm plates, thank you] were top drawer.

Visited July 2014
Cape Town, South Africa
“A Stanford must.”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Book your table when you book your accommodation. Good, honest food in a warm and friendly environment. Do not leave without experiencing this lovely little piece of Stanford. This is what it is all about. We will be back. Hopefully for breakfast tomorrow!

Visited June 2014
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Diner at Graze”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The meal was beautiful...Fresh produce, lovingly prepared. The staff were superb! Very friendly... we did not want to leave!

Visited June 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
“The best breakfast in town -- and a stunning Friday supper, too!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Since coming to the Overberg in February, I've visited lots of local haunts but have made Graze my Saturday morning habit (usually with a couple of kids in tow). There just can't possibly be a better breakfast in all of the Western Cape than what's on the menu at this tiny gem of a restaurant. First, all ingredients are fresher than fresh (you can even purchase Alex and Tabby's surplus farm produce every Wednesday morning), which means each dish is simply brimming with flavor. My personal favorite is "Zodwa's Special," which includes two poached eggs over sautéed Halloumi cheese and black mushrooms with Tzatziki sauce and fresh-made salsa on top. WOW. The "Graze Benedict" is also fantastic, and, like several options on offer, perfect for those on a gluten-free or low-carb diet plan. If you want to toss the diet out the window, then you have to taste Tabby's incredible cream-filled profiteroles, which are utterly delicious paired with a cup of coffee or tea.

I waited to post a review until I'd had a chance to enjoy a Friday evening supper at Graze. Locals kept telling me it was beyond compare, but I wanted to see for myself. My husband and I made reservations (a must, as this is a very popular evening attraction) and strolled up around 7pm, just as the candles were lit and the cozy atmosphere at its best. The menu for the night was written out on the chalkboard wall to the right, and we both immediately settled on grilled fillet steak with sweet potatoes dauphinoise, horseradish creme fraiche, and roasted veg. Hands down, it's the best steak I've eaten since moving far from my very favorite restaurant in the world in East Africa (a steak which, alas, no other chef can touch for flavor and cut). But this steak would give any other cut of meat a run for its money and then some. Buttery tenderness, utterly succulent flavor, and incredible pairing with the sauce and the veg. Not a morsel was left on either of our plates! We finished off with my husband enjoying the Pomegranate Cheesecake and me savoring the chocolate brownie. Great atmosphere in the cozy snuggery of the inside, but it would also have been just as lovely on the front stoep.

This wouldn't be a complete review if I failed to mention Tabby's utterly fabulous flour-free chocolate cake. I'm not on a gluten-free diet, but I prefer this amazing confection to any cake made with flour. It is rich with the emphasis on the good chocolate instead of an overuse of sugar. Decadent but not guilt-inducing. Absolutely lovely.

Do NOT miss Graze if you'll be coming to Stanford. In fact, it's worth making the trip just to enjoy a Friday night supper or breakfast or lunch Wednesday to Saturday. Very budget-friendly but with top ingredients and warm, friendly service. Come to dine--stay to simply soak up the atmosphere that personifies Stanford Village.

• Visited May 2014