“Amazing.”

Walkerbay Estate and Birkenhead Brewery
Ranked #5 of 15 things to do in Stanford
More attraction details
Owner description: As the first wine and brewing estate in the southern hemisphere, we run a small but growing micro brewery, water bottling plant, winery and vineyard situated in the Western Cape of South Africa. We have much to offer, not only to the beer and wine enthusiast, but to those just interested in visiting our beautiful country estate near Stanford in the shadow of the Klein Rivier mountains. Here you will find out about our exceptional beer,our country estate, our brewery. As of September 2015 the restaurant is under new management called "Birkenhead Galley" separately listed in Trip advisor by the new owners. Come and enjoy our delicious food and freshly brewed beer, and visit our vineyard and winery where we produce Walker Bay Vineyards wines.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great visit! The kids had a ball running around the huge grounds. We enjoyed the meal, and I recommend the beer pie. The beer and wine was good and the views of the mountains were stunning. Worth a visit!

2  Thank davidwedlock

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We visited with a big group of friends and all the kids ,the beer tasting and light meals on offer was great and they have some really good wines produced by the winery.Just loved the setting and atmosphere.The Staff was very help full and the service was good.
A definitive stop of on our visits down that route again,can only recommend you stop and enjoy...!!!

2  Thank Gertleroux
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Frequently, when we pass Walker bay Estate and Birkenhead Brewery they are closed. So, yesterday, Sunday 28 July we are passing and they are open. We're looking for somewhere to have a light lunch so turn around and in we go.

Two tables of loud customers, blaring rugby by the sounds of it and all the waitrons clustered around the TV watching cricket. No one welcomes us, no one pays any attention.

Eventually one waitron comes over and asks what I want! I ask how the beer tasting works and what's to eat. This is explained - there are 6 beers to taste for R 20 but they don't have one of them. So it's only 5 beers to taste - no, 6 I am told. But they don't have the one...

I say fine, I'll taste the 5 they have and want to eat something, but I don't want to sit where the TV and other noise is - can they turn it down? Shrugs shoulders and ambles off...

Another asks if I've been served (been there around 5 minutes now) and I say no but I don't want to sit where there is such a noise - can it be turned down? This person turns away and starts tidying up the bar area...

We amble out thinking some manager type will notice - nothing! The staff carry on at the end of the bar and the two tables continue with their tastings...

My advice? Stay well away - they don't want people disrupting their Sunday afternoons around the TV!

2  Thank Weary_of_Work_Travel
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Visited here as an addition to a trip to Hermanus. Wasn't much atmosphere, the wine and beer were not very good and the service staff disappeared.

1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a good experience here after driving over from Gansbaai. Did the beer flights and beef pies and enjoyed both. Setting is fantastic and very good for families or groups. We were able to turn the kids loose on the large grounds.

1  Thank Jay H