“A real wasted opportunity”

Walkerbay Estate and Birkenhead Brewery
Ranked #9 of 15 things to do in Stanford
More attraction details
Owner description: As the first wine and brewing estate in the southern hemisphere, we run a small but growing micro brewery, water bottling plant, winery and vineyard situated in the Western Cape of South Africa. We have much to offer, not only to the beer and wine enthusiast, but to those just interested in visiting our beautiful country estate near Stanford in the shadow of the Klein Rivier mountains. Here you will find out about our exceptional beer,our country estate, our brewery. As of September 2015 the restaurant is under new management called "Birkenhead Galley" separately listed in Trip advisor by the new owners. Come and enjoy our delicious food and freshly brewed beer, and visit our vineyard and winery where we produce Walker Bay Vineyards wines.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had heard of the Brewery and thought we would pop in for a Sunday Lunch and beer tasting. The setting and view is amazing, so we thought we were in for a treat.

Sadly, it is a real let down, which is a pity because it could be so much better. The beer that we recommended as 'the best' (Honey Blond) tasted watery and tasteless. And the food was disgusting - a limited menu of burgers, chips, pies and fried fish, which tasted as mass produced and soul-less as it sounds. I could't finish it and ended up giving it to my dog.

It is a real pity - they have a beautiful setting and the potential to be great. But when you are selling an idea artisan brews and crafts beers, it needs to translate through to the overall offering.

1  Thank emmainsa
"en route"
"food options"
"run around"
in 4 reviews
"play area for the kids"
"service was great"
"lovely afternoon"
"sit outside"
"lovely venue"
"south africa"

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We visited the Walker Bay Estate for beer and wine tasting in June 2013. It was a cold and rainy day, but we were glad to see a huge fireplace in the tasting area with a fire going.
It is only R20 to taste 7 beers and R20 to taste 5 wines, so between the two of us we had a varied tasting and didn't have to worry about going over the limit for our drive back to Hermanus.
The bar food menu looked quite reasonably priced, even though we didn't eat there. If you were a vegetarian or pescatarian though you would not have had much choice, but the standard fare looked good and the beer pie looked amazing as they were carrying them to the tables. Will have to go back there one day to have one.
Really enjoyed the beers, took me back to having the ales and bitters in England when I was travelling around there in the 90's.
In the Summer it would be a great place to visit with kids, as there is ample place for them to run around outside on the lush lawns.

1  Thank AbrieDeV
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have been to Birkenhead Brewery on any occasions - with family, friends and business associates and will continue going there for a few very good reasons.

* The atmosphere of the pub area and outside is unmatched.
* The views are spectacular
* The simple, unpretentious menu confirms that the resident chef has mastered the dishes on offer and I defy anyone to find better, more succulent battered hake and chips in the Overberg.
* The prices are very affordable and have hardly moved in the last 2-3 years.
* The range of craft beers available is always very tempting and my resolve to only have one has yet to come true!
* Birkenhead is also a refreshing change from far too many "me-too" type of restaurants that abound in the area.

Will I go back? You bet!!
When? Very soon!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Me and my family booked and went to the Birkenhead Brewery on the 12th of May for Mothers day. I am giving this a one star as -5 Stars is not an option.

The venue is amazing and one of the best views you can find, but this does not help when the glass of wine you receive when you sit down is not drinkable, the waitresses had no skill in what they were doing and the food was disgusting. We all had something different to eat but no one's food was even nearly satisfactory.

In my opinion the best thing about the entire lunch was the Brandy and coke as it was something that is a little harder to mess up.

Birkenhead Brewery - you have a amazing location with an amazing view. Please get your standards to match your location and view!

1  Thank MarxHermanus