“Where Oceans Meet”

Garden Route Game Lodge
Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you've been on a safari then this may be a little disappointing, if you've not, there its like a safari park only a little larger, with electric gates giving access from one area to another. The tracks were very rutted so the game drive can be quite uncomfortable. We saw 4 giraffe, 2 elephants, 2 lions, rhinos, various antelope, but the highlight were the cheetahs. We saw 4 cheetahs in the breeding project and two 6 month old cubs which we got to stroke through the wire fence and have our hands licked! The dining area was impressive, the meals were very good and the rooms a good size.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everything about this place was first class. When we arrived, we were greeted by their friendly staff and were made to feel at home. We were told about what was happening during our stay. We had a two safaris, one in the early evening and one in the morning, a tour of the reptile exhibit, and a tour of their cheetah program. We were also explained about the meal arrangements. All this was included in the price.

My room was a bungalow with a thatch roof and it was all in character of being on a game reserve. From my deck, I could see several herds of animals. I got my binoculars out and discovered that I was looking at Zebras and Springbosk. Upon further exploration, I saw two giraffes. I knew I was at place that was special. The safaris were incredible. I could rave on and on about it. We saw the big five and many other forms of wildlife . The guide was informative and made the trip exciting and memorable. I have amazing pictures to show for it.

The food was excellent and plentiful. Both the dinner and breakfast were buffet style with a wide variety of food. One of the options for dinner was barbeque venison which was very tasty.

If you don;t have the time to go to Kruger National Park, I would strongly recommend you come here. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Garden Route Game Reserve for one evening. The accommodation was comfortable, unpretentious and the dining area under thatch was lovely and spacious. But in particular, I loved the Game Drive. The reserve has its limitations being close to the main highway, but this was made up for by the very informative and interesting Game Drive. The guide paid attention to the little animals, the vegetation and the eco-system, something you don't always get when just focusing on the "Big Five". It was by far, the best Game Drive I have ever been on. I think Garden Route Game Lodge is good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

An easy drive to Garden Route Game Lodge from Capetown, very scenic, and well signposted. On arrival we received an efficient but warm welcome and brought to our accommodation which was in a beautiful setting, very comfortable with everything we needed for our 2 night stay. Breakfast and evening meal was very good and the resturant had lovely mountain views with a sunset to die for looking out from the terrace. Best of all though were the safari's our first was at dusk and the 2nd the next morning. Byron, our guide was excellent and went out of his way to be helpful and informative. The drives were very well organised and far exceeded our expectations. The animals had loads of space to roam and the water buffalo's mud to wallow in. We were lucky to find two cheetah cubs in the bush eating the breakfast their mother (hiding behind scrub swishing her tail) had caught for them. We were very impressed and loved every minute - certainly we would have no hesitation repeating the experience.

Room Tip: We were very pleased with our room which had a private porch to sit and watch the sun set.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Overnight and Tour Safaris was fantastic. Informative, educational and great experience.
Staff are friendly, accommodation luxurious room, buffet breakfast and evening meals were beyond expectation which Muslim meals provided too. Enjoy the Safari Game Drives with qualified field guide and have good experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was in Cape Town for August 2012 and wanted to make sure I got to see the wildlife and as much of the Big Five as possible. Unfortunately, I did not have the time to go to the bigger national parks (Kruger, Addo), so I searched for a good game park in the Western Cape.

I was pleased to find a R795 (about $100) per night special in the newspaper for the Garden Route Game Lodge, which included a private chalet hut with a comfortable bed, television, and private bathroom with shower, a 2.5 hour afternoon game drive, and a buffet breakfast. I chose to have a buffet dinner and a sunrise game drive, which was about $60 more total.

This was an AMAZING value for money. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. You are appointed a game ranger during your stay who takes you on the game drives. I had Byron who was terrific.

The game drives themselves are incredible, especially if you are from the USA like me and was seeing most of the animals for the first time. They have several types of antelope like eland and kudu, as well as springbok. We saw giraffes, hares, many different kinds of birds. Of course, the Big Five were highlights and we saw rhinos, lions, elephants, and water buffalo. They have a leopard but were up front in telling us not to expect to see it as it is nocturnal. Not a big deal, because everything else was awesome. Free roaming in the park which we did see is a mother cheetah and two cubs.

The buffet dinner featured several South African specialties (bobotie, bredie, malva pudding) and was worth the extra $25. The buffet breakfast was also great and was included in the special R795 price.

I completely recommend the Garden Route Game Lodge. A little bit of a drive from Cape Town (3.5 hours) but absolutely worth it!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank David K
Reviewed August 29, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were made welcome. Safari was always informative and educational. Accommodation was adequate for my party. The buffet breakfast and evening meals were beyond expectation. A very friendly and value for money experience.

Room Tip: A great family friendly experience
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ANTHONY B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albertina
3 mi away
#2 of 11 in Stilbaai
Addo Elephant Lodge and Safaris
Addo Elephant Lodge and Safaris
#8 of 12 in Addo Elephant National Park

Been to Garden Route Game Lodge? Share your experiences!