All reviews stunning views short drive guest house shetland loch seals chalet
Reviewed July 5, 2016

I stayed at the hotel because I was joining the Shetland Wildlife photographic safari, and booked for a few more days.

It is set in a beautiful location, with many scenic walks. The staff are wonderful, very friendly and helpful, and the food is great. My room was large and sunny.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank batier2016
Reviewed June 29, 2016

I visited this hotel as part of my "Shetland Wildlife" holiday (travelling solo within a group of 15). I stayed in one of the lodges, where the accommodation was basic but clean and well heated. There were three en-suite bedrooms and a communal lounge, plus a kitchen with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits. It was a minute or so's walk back to the main hotel with its cozy bar and spacious dining room. Keith, the hotel owner, is also the excellent chef. The food was mostly locally sourced and consistently delicious. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful (special thanks are due to Martyn). I would love to return to The Spiggie Hotel and Lodges one day, and hope to do so as part of another group holiday. The only reason I can't aware an overall 5 star rating is the fact that my room was somewhat small and the bathroom decidedly so.

Room Tip: I think all rooms probably have a loch view. The location is fabulously quiet!
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Pauline G
Reviewed June 19, 2016

We stayed for a week whilst on a tour with Shetland wildlife.We had a room in the lodge, we had everything we needed, comfy large bed, windows with views, large bathroom with a shower, fluffy towels, tea and coffee.
Its a lovely hotel full of character, the food was really tasty, breakfasts where hearty and filling, 3 course evening meals where delicious with fresh vegetables and local daily catch.The chef, Keith is a fantastic cook and a lovely fella , always checking guests are happy.
Martin who serves in the bar, waits on and cooks breakfast is a gem, so kind and helpful. Gail our morning waitress was also very friendly and always took time for a chat.
The hotel is in a peaceful spot, very quite and a short walk to a lovely beach and cove.Set on a rise above the Loch, nature in abundance and spectacular sunsets!
Super fast WIFI that works in every room and in the lodge.Great well stocked bar.
We had a great time and will be returning to this gem of a place.
Thank you for looking after us so well

Room Tip: we had room 11, lovely double.
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aly63
Reviewed June 15, 2016

The Spiggie has a great location on the top of a hill so great views across a loch and fine sunsets can be seen from your room. The rooms though are rather tired and overdue for renovation. Food was excellent both at dinner and breakfast, most especially the fish and the bread and butter pudding.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank duncanA
Reviewed June 7, 2016

We stayed here last 5 years ago and absolutely loved it so we were very much looking forward to spending our last night on Shetland here again and we weren't disappointed.

The service from the moment we arrived, to the moment we left, was warm, friendly and very welcoming. The bar is a lovely place to sit and contemplate the menu (nice squishy sofas!) and my husband was thrilled to find beer on tap after the bottles he'd had elsewhere!

The food was just as spectacular as we remembered it - all local produce (scallops and lamb) and the divine bread and butter pudding straight out of the oven finished it off nicely.

The room was spotlessly clean with a great bathroom and beautiful views and we loved every minute of our stay.

We hope to be back.