“Good but not great”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visited Greyton for the first time. Being off season a lot of it was closed. This does however not affect the review of Oak and Vigne.
Oak and Vigne is quite a large place with both inside and outside seating. It has some nice features and would imagine be a popular place. There seemed to be a few locals in and out but on a busy day I imagine the atmosphere would be very nice.
The hot chocolate I ordered, I thought was a little disappointing. I understand that they were trying to offer a quality hot chocolate with chocolate from the shop next door but the execution didn't quite work for me. Not quite hot enough and a bit watery. But quite drinkable and you could taste the good quality chocolate. The menu was quite large with vast selections of toppings for open sandwiches and a big breakfast selection. I had the BLT on sour dough. Tasty but a bit soggy in dressing. I enjoyed it though. When we arrived and sat down we sat outside. We ordered and we drank and ate. It wasn't until after when we payed inside that we realised there were some specials of the day that were never offered to us by our waitress. This place is worth a visit and I would go back again.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Really loved the different choices for breakfast - the avo and pesto sarmie with egg and bacon was delicious - we went back on Sunday for another taste - the service can be improved - we were lucky and had a very attentive waitress - the table next to us waited ages

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We loved this gorgeous country eatery in the Cape Overberg. Situated in the heart of Greyton, along a tree-lined street against the scenic backdrop of the blue-black Sonderend mountains, we were swept away by the hospitality, from the welcome on the terrace, to the cosy log fire burning inside and the personal attention of owner - entrepreneur and writer, Coenie Visser.

The Oak and Vigne is very popular with cyclist passing through after riding the local MTB trails and although the food portions aren't large, the fare is reasonably priced and the coffee is good.

Do try the speciality - a Greyton Mule - a refreshing concoction of vodka, homemade gingerbeer and lime and pop into the on-site Von Geusau showroom to taste handmade Belgian chocolates.

1  Thank KarenfromCT
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hubby and I shared a vegetable & pea soup which was good. The waitress kindly served this up in two bowels. The soup could have been thicker but the taste was good. Good fire going to keep you warm during those chilly Greyton days. We bought a takeaway pecan pastry and had that for tea - it was really delicious and buttery. Service was excellent. Friendly and efficient. Worth a re-visit.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The setting is pretty and ideal for breakfast or lunch. Live piano music outside adds to the laid-back weekend atmosphere and menu offerings are some standard and some a little different to the usual. I ordered a hot beverage which was far too sweet to drink, and they did not charge me, which I thought was a good sign as many other places would have.