“Good food!”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Loutro is a small jewel in a beautiful bay accessible only by boat. We had a light lunch for three people with Cretan salads, fried anchovies (" gavros "in Greek), chicken meatballs in the oven with tomato salad, water melon and espresso. Big portions, fresh ingredients, changes willingly accepted for the salads ( no onions and cucumbers), excellent local bread. Pictoresque tables on a terrace overlooking the crystal blue sea. Bill of Euro 30 ( the equivalent of three sandwiches in Italy...).
Absolutely recommendable!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Loutro is one of my favorite places on earth becuase it is charming, beautiful, laid-back and friendly. Ilios taverna has one of the best locations in the village. Admittedly they serve good grilled fish, salads etc and they often treat their customers to a piece of cake and raki after a full dinner. Their traditional greek food however is not as good as the Blue House's (probably best in Loutro).

Being the last night of a great week, I wanted to finish really nice and tried to book a table by the water but was treated very rudely by one of the owners. I do not know whether he was stressed about something else or worried that a single woman would "block" a good table and not spend enough (he should know that I eat early and not for a very long time so I usually leave before most people go for dinner so if anything it should have been a gain). Either way it has been a very long. time since I have been treated so badly.
It is sad that a person working in the service business should make another person feel so bad. It is hard to not let that affect the feeling about the whole stay, which would be sad as so many others have helped make my stay nice and special

5  Thank Eudoridea
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Fish is the primary focus of this restaurant and I saw them buying it off the boat in the morning, but it does offer the usual 'tourist food' options as well. I visited pre-season and the staff were new and still in training, so service was a bit patchy but basically you're in such a lovely spot it's hard to get peevish about it...
It doesn't have anything fancy so I found myself wandering round to Sifi's when I wanted Earl Grey tea instead of Liptons or Jameson's 12 y.o. Irish Whiskey, but if your tastes are more straightforward you'll be perfectly satisfied.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We have visited Loutro for a number of years and always have about half our evening meals at Illios. Like a previous reviewer we usually make it the first & last nights with others in between. The staff are all great & cheerfully explain what they have on offer, with a interesting hot cabinet with plenty of choice. This year we did eat more fish which is displayed in a cold cabinet & cooked to order. The atmosphere is always good & usually pretty full. We had one breakfast there as well this year which was straight forward & value for money. Just hope we'll be back again next year, on what has become, our annual pilgrimage to Loutro!!!

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Ilios was our second favourite restaurant on the front at Loutro. If you want grilled fish this is the place to go. The fresh fish is displayed in a chilled cabinet alongside the cooked dishes.
You eat next to the sea with boats bobbing, waves lapping on the beach and light reflecting off the water. Tranquility.
Staff are friendly and explain what's available that day.
We had two meals here and both the whole bream and the swordfish were fresh and well cooked. The briam was not as good as the Blue House and the Greek salad we ordered came as Cretan salad with misithra cheese rather than Feta so the sides were a disappointment