Naxos Hotel Kavos is clearly well-loved by its guests (just read some of the reviews here) and this affection is equally clearly well-deserved.
From making the original booking to a special request for roses in the room upon arrival, Manager Barbara could not have been more helpful or efficient. The hotel's rooms nestle gently into the side of a hill, strewn with an apparently organic carelessness that belies the great views and privacy that this layout endows. The gardens are full of flowers, shrubs, herbs, fruits and vegetables (courgettes, tomatoes, aubergines, apricots, lemons...) in a delightful and aromatic tumble of colour and foliage that surrounds the paths up to the accommodation.
The rooms were spotless, well-equipped and very comfortable with a kind of Mediterranean Country chic about their style. The bathrooms were of a very high quality and the air-conditioning (barely needed in early June) all but silent.
The hotel folds itself around a lovely pool and seating area and the high vantage point gives broad views out over the Aegean. A new removable glass wall opens the bar/restaurant to the pool area but can be closed on those occasional inclement days one sometimes gets at each end of a season.
So, the hotel is lovely. The jewels here though are the staff. Barbara runs things with a light and steady touch and has gathered a wonderful team around her. From the cheerful and friendly staff who clean and maintain the rooms to the more visible people in the hotel bar and restaurant, everyone was clearly very happy to go out of their way to make guests feel welcome. Sarah and Sotiris looked after the bar and front of house beautifully. Ask Sarah about the horse sanctuary-cum-riding stable that she also works for, especially if you fancy riding along the beach.
The other star is chef Kostas who excels in presenting Greek classics with a modern flair. Nothing seems too much for him and he is happy to 'do requests' with a little notice. My partner Darcy mentioned how much she loved stuffed courgette flowers. Lo and behold, a few days later she was presented with a plate of delicious stuffed flowers with apologies for the delay - " I had to wait for the sun to make the flowers open".
Naxos is a lovely island from its old town to the mountains in the centre and the isolated coastal villages (most with Tavernas) on the far side of them. A hire car will allow you to explore at your own pace and at relatively little cost.
Tips? You should be aware that several of the hotel's rooms are reached via steps and a steep-ish path. There are some rooms that have much easier access but I'd advise you to talk to Barbara before booking if this might be a problem for you. There is a small airport on Naxos with a flight time of about 25 minutes to Athens. Personally I find this much more fun and convenient than spending several hours on a crowded ferry, but seats are limited so book well in advance.
In summary, you really can't go wrong at this wonderful hotel so do yourself a favour and book now!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kavos Boutique Hotel Naxos is an inviting collection of stylish and comfortable suites, apartments and indepdent villas with full and friendly hotel service. We are located in an enviable position facing south towards the glorious beach of Agios Prokopios with sparkling sea views towards Ios and Santorini. We are happy and friendly, focused on our guests' comfort and satisfaction. Accommodation is individual, spacious, comfortable with a hint of luxury, not crowded into a block but naturally located through our Mediterranean garden. Our guests return year after year or send their friends and family, you will understand why when you visit! A few steps through the gardens bring you to our swimming pool, poolbar and restaurant. Chill and swim with a panoramic view of sea, sky and islands. Sip a cocktail at sunset swinging in a hammock or lazing on sofas. Try some of the island’s best food in our highly-rated Stelida Restaurant. Just enjoy the blissful feeling of Kavos Naxos! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Kavos Boutique Hotel Naxos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kavos Hotel Agios Prokopios
- Kavos Boutique Hotel Naxos Stelida