“Relaxing all-inclusive holiday”

Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Kolymbari
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was my first trip to Crete, my girlfriend had visited 20 years ago so we chose Cavo Spada as our place of stay. The hotel had a peaceful location, 2km walk from the nearest small village where you could easily experience real Greece sitting by the sea and eating at a seaside tavern.

The beach next to the hotel had really clean water, and there were enough sun chairs both in the patio and also on the beach itself. The cleanliness of the rooms and facilities overall were on good level. Also the food prepared generally was of good quality, especially beef and other meat were cooked well and were not stiff to eat. Swordfish was very tasty, but the tuna (when served) was dry and overcooked.

The staff were very helpful, despite being very busy keeping up with the different food servings. Big thanks to the older manager, who seemed to be always around and was very helpful on fulfilling our requests and made us always feel welcome.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jussaf
GiannoulisHotels, Διευθυντής at Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear Jussaf,
Thank you very much for your review.
We are really proud to read that you and you girlfriend had a pleasant stay at our resort.
Our Chef is already informed about your notices regarding some of our served dishes in order to do all the necessary changes.
The management and the staff of our resort wish you all the best and they are looking forward to welcoming you again at our resort.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have traveled a lot and visited many hotels but this one is on of the best I have ever stayed at.

The room we had was gorgeous. It had a big terrace wich looked out on the sea. There is only one floor so no high rise building. Very quiet area. Since we had arrived very late, we were told there was food up in our room. And there was. The food overall was great. They had everything.

The staff was very friendly, from reception to maids. Always willing to help with any request.

Wonderful pool. Very large so always room to swim. It's 1m10 deep max. And it's also kept very clean. The beach chairs are scattered around the garden. Or you can choose to sit on the beach (free chairs and umbrellas). Just keep in mind that there are a lot of large pebbles near and in the water. You do need shoes!

There is a bus stop 5 min from the hotel. It goes to Chania (with stops along the way). We took it in the evening around 8.30 p.m. It took one hour because of traffic. We also took it in the morning and then it was 40 min. You buy your ticket on the bus. When you return from Chania, you buy it at a ticket box. It's cheap :-) Chania is def a must!

The only negative point I want to mention, is the animation. It's very blabla. It's ok during the day but in the evening it's very childish. You just want to sit and have a drink (in a very nice bar area with comfortable seats) but this is not possible because of silly animation. It looked as if most people were not in favour of it. Not much enthousiasm.

Also, the music coming from the poolbar during the day is something too loud but when you sit on the beach instead of the garden, it's not so bad.

A tip: if you want to sit outside to eat, you need to be on time. The outside area is quite large but the sun keeps on shining until late and everyone wants to sit in the shade. That area is rather small.

Anyway, we had a wonderful time and will certainly be coming back!!!

Room Tip: Book a room with seaview. The swim up rooms are also very nice but only if you want strict privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nancy4665

Dear Nancy4665,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for your kind words.
We are really happy to read that you had a wonderful stay at our resort. The management and the staff are already informed about your suggestions in order to do all the necessary movements.
We are looking forward to your next arrival.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

We spent a week in Cavo Spada as a family of three. We all enjoyed very much.

For us parents everything worked very well, food was excellent and all the facilities in top shape.

Our 3-year old daughter enjoyed the childrens' pool and was able to swim with us in the larger pool with her Swim armbands with us.

We had a superior room that faced the pool, in the 2nd floor. It was very nice. Please see some pics taken from our balcony attached.

We ate in all 3 restaurants and all of them were really good. The selection in the Italian one was a bit limited for our 3-year old so we dined there only once. We parents could have eaten there more often too. The only thing we would have liked to have a bit more is fish and seafood. There would have been a Fish Night, but it was cancelled due to lack of interest from other guests. The buffet did have fish during several evenings, but it would have been nice to have more fish dishes in general.

The beach has small rocks (instead of sand), but that did not bother us since we were there to enjoy the pools.

I can warmly recommend Cavo Spada for a similar family than our or for couples. I could imagine a bit older kids might already engrave more action and more places where to play. Although many other guests had a bit older kids that also seemed to have a lot of fun.

I can also recommend renting a car. It was cheap (with Sixt) and very easy to move around.

Thank You Cavo Spada!

Room Tip: Higher floors have nicer views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Heikki-1976
GiannoulisHotels, Διευθυντής at Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Heikki-1976,

Thank you very much for you amazing review.
We are very proud to read that you and your family had a pleasant stay at our resort.
The satisfaction of our guests is the best prize for the management and the staff of our resort.
Thank you very much once again for all of your kind words and for the recommendation of our resort. We are looking forward to welcome you and your family at our resort in the near future.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in Cavo Spada for one week in July. It was the second time we visited it since we loved it the first one. It's perfect for relaxation and it offers plenty of activities such as tennis and gymnastics in the pool. The food was delicious in all of the restaurants of the hotel and amazing was also the spa treatment. We look forward to coming back to our favorite hotel asap.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank MPetrovaa

Dear MPetrovaa,
Thank you very much for wonderful review.
It was our pleasure to welcome you at our resort for the second time and we are really proud to read that you enjoyed your stay the same as at the first time.
We will be very happy to welcome you again next year as you are already planning.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Ok, here I can list number of things I have noticed so far:

1. It is not clean! I have noticed They do not clean the floor in the room, not even in the bathroom. all they do is just replacing the towels.
Also, when you go to restaurant there are so many flies everywhere. You will find yourself fighting with them all the time that you don't understand what you eat. Moreover, it happened once when we wanted to get a table outside the restaurant and I noticed they just put fork and knife on a table with very thick layer of dust, we came inside. Instead and fight with flies.
Also, there are dead insects in private pools, that's how luxurious it is here!

2. Animation team is week. There is not much to do here, not much activity that keeps you busy during the day, we have got bored after couple of days and went outside the hotel , but hey what is the idea of "all inclusive" when you feel bored and start spending money outside the hotel? I am just comparing with a 5 star hotel "Concorde" that we have been to in Turkey Antalya where we were inside hotel 14 days straight and we didn't even noticed it, there was so many activities , ping pong, beach volley, belly dancing, gym, 3 different pool, aerobic, Pilates awesome shows and party every night! Animation team were rocking it.
Worth mentioning that the gym has only one thread mil!

3. Not every one in the hotel has "all inclusive"deal and they give "all inclusive cards" to differentiate people that payed for all inclusive which is very annoying and uncomfortable . Come on, you do not carry the card everywhere with you when you basically spending the whole day by the pool and beach and all you were is a bikini ! Happens a lot that you go from pool to bar and then fall in to stupid conversation with the staff, do you have all inclusive? Where is your card? Show me your card? Do you have white card or gold card?Ok you don't have your card what is your room number? Hopefully this will bend of story, but come on ... Can't they just replace the card concept with a brace late or stamp that is more comfortable and you don't have to take it from the bag, put it in the bag and after couple of days get totally annoyed over this stupid conversation over the card.

4. The Stoney beach is lovely and very different from sandy beach but it hurts :( specially when it is windy , I got so many bruises on my leg because of the stones. Also, what is that broken boat they have there for saving people . It is called 5 star hotel for god sake. You just wanna cry by looking at that thorn boat and then you pray to God that you don't end up needing it.

5.They have only one dinner restaurant in addition to buffe . It is an Italian restaurant where the food is great but drink is extra cost. Any kind of drink! They have charged us even for water, which was really cheap way of making money, they could just charge 5 euro per person or something would have felt better for us as a customer.

6. The staff are friendly I have to give them credit for that . It is just that they are a little bit in rush to take your plate away and they never pour you any drink. They just put it at your table. Anyway, I think nobody has thought them these things otherwise they are nice and friendly.

All in all this hotel is too expensive for what you get. If I want to spend 10000 sek for a trip again I will go somewhere in Turkey, Antalya or ezmir, where I can understand the idea of 5 star all inclusive hotel!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank azadeh h

Dear azadeh h,
Thank you very much for your review and for all your suggestions. The opinion of our guests is very important to us.
Regarding the cleanliness, we would like to inform you that all the rooms of our hotel are cleaned daily and all the public areas are cleaned twice a day.
We are really sorry that the animation program does not meet your needs but as you can read at several reviews here on tripadvisor, most of our guests find the animation program of our hotel very interesting.
As you mention on your comments, we give a card to all of our guests with all the details of their reservation and the meal plan. Moreover, all the doors of our rooms have electronic key card. Anyone can keep these two cards together during their stay at our Resort. We are really apologizing for any inconvenience that this card has caused you.
Finally, the restaurants of our hotel are three. The Main Buffet restaurant, the A La Carte Azzuro restaurant and the Sea Line Tavern. All the served dishes at these restaurants are based on Cretan and Mediterranean cuisine in order to meet the needs of most of our guests.
We are looking forward to give us the chance to welcoming you again at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

FUN FRIENDLY WARM AND WELCOMING STAFF
My brother and I booked 2 rooms at Cavo Spada hotel from 22 June to 6 July 2014. Cavo Spada is a superb 5 star hotel about one and a half kilometres from Kolymbari village and 23km from Chania. It is quiet and remote, which is what I wanted, however you can take buses into Chania or use taxis which takes only 25 minutes, you can also go on various day trips, or hire a car to visit villages, the white mountains Therisso Gorge or other areas in Crete, it depends what you want to do. The staff and some of the guests made our stay in Crete memorable they were wonderful- it also helped that the weather was wonderful too! The staff at Cavo Spada are very warm and friendly whilst being professional, they are great fun too, so if you wanted to laugh and chat they would laugh and chat with you and if you didn’t they were friendly whilst still providing excellent service; they were always happy to help and were extremely hard working.
Disabled Accessible Throughout
The rooms at Cavo Spada are very spacious and clean. Cavo Spado is disabled accessible throughout. I use a crutch but cannot climb up and down stairs or steps without a great deal of difficulty and discomfort, so having a hotel that I could use without having to use steps was brilliant. It wasn’t just accessible for me; I saw a few wheelchair users during my stay too! One side of the main swimming pool has a gentle slope which meant I could walk into the pool without any assistance, so I went swimming as much as possible! The pool is also the same depth throughout, which was also convenient. I also did some water aerobics classes which were great fun; they took place nearly every day. There were other fitness classes as well.
FRESH AND LOCAL FABOLOUS FOOD
We were staying on a half board basis, at breakfast there is a wide selection of freshly cooked buffet- style food mostly from local produce; from cereals to cooked breakfasts; cold meats and cheeses, croissants, freshly baked bread cakes and a wide range of fruit. The eggs- scrambled, sunny side up, omelettes, pancakes, and Cretan doughnuts were made to order on the grill in front of you by two chefs. The food is quickly replenished. The freshly squeezed orange juice is delicious and there were copious amounts of it. At dinner there was a hot and cold buffet;- a great spread of freshly cooked Cretan and Greek food as well as food from other European countries. There was also lots of fish and seafood as well as vegetarian dishes as well as of course a wide range of meat dishes. I am a pescatarian and found plenty of fish and vegetarian dishes to choose from. The food was always fresh, consistently well-cooked to a very high standard and there was a great deal of choice each day. I have a sweet tooth and loved the desserts: various pastries, cakes, ice cream and a variety of fruit. Also on the main grill the dessert chef would cook a special dessert each day for example the most memorable desserts he cooked were: chocolate brownies, pineapple rings in hot freshly squeezed orange juice or caramelised bananas.
When we were in the hotel at lunch time (we went on various trips in Western Crete during the day) we went to the beach café where Maria, another hard working chef, would cook a wide range of fresh dishes with specials which were delicious including grilled prawns which we had with a greek salad and was followed by fresh fruit and sometimes we would have cake. At the beach café Stefi worked very hard-usually on her own and always with a friendly smile- to serve everyone the fantastic food cooked by Maria.
As I said the staff made our stay a wonderful experience, they all worked so hard and still remained warm, friendly and helpful. So I would like to especially thank to say Efharisto para poli to: all the chefs, the staff in the main restaurant including Antonis, Zafiris and Vasos – they arranged a great birthday cake and we had a tasty meal from their a la carte restaurant on our birthday. I would also like to say Efharisto para poli to Stefi and Maria in the beach café. I would also like to thank all the staff who kept cleaned the rooms and the hotel. Thank you also to staff in the spa- I had a great massage.
Thanks also to Eleni Terezaki the Reservations Executive with whom I exchanged emails , before booking with Cavo Spado. She answered all my detailed queries about disabled access at the hotel. I was not disappointed at all- very happy.
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM
I have two constructive criticisms to make: firstly the evening entertainment needs improving and secondly my brother told me the gym needs more equipment for example more treadmills and more stationary bicycles.
DAY TRIPS IN WESTERN CRETE
We visited Chania twice, we went to the archaeological museum which is really good and shopping in the main market, the street which sells leather and jewellery shops. We also ate out at some lovely tavernas near Nea Chora beach, where we had freshly caught sea bream, and other fish, they were delicious and very reasonably priced. We visited Kolymbari and went on some day trips such as a Jeep Safari in the White Mountains which included, wine and olive oil tasting- it was great fun we met some people from Malta and Iceland who were in our Jeep and they were a great laugh. We also visited some villages on the “Fun Train” and it was. If you can and want to drive you could hire a car to visit the mountains and villages in the area
FINALLY BOOK IT NOW
Finally I just wish to comment on the remarks made by another guest who stayed at the hotel during one of the weeks I was there. My experience did not at all reflect theirs, I was not double booked, this may have been because I booked directly with the hotel, (and got a great discount). We spoke to many guests there were guests from various places; Sweden, Norway, Finland, Belgium, Poland France, Italy, Greece and Russia as well as a few from Britain. The only other people who were double booked were another British couple, they were also upgraded and were very happy with the hotel and the welcome and service they received from the staff. I was present when a wedding took place, but it was only on one day and whilst setting up took up about half the area where some guests lounged beside the pool, it didn’t prevent you from using the pool or any of the other services and the wedding didn’t encroach onto the beach. The other British couple who were near the pool, said that there was noise from the wedding that night so they went and joined the wedding party and had a good time. I was in another part of the hotel so didn’t hear any noise from the wedding.
So I would encourage anyone to book a room at this hotel for the warm welcome, friendly and professional service, fabulous food and good facilities.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sandeey H
GiannoulisHotels, Διευθυντής at Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Sandeey H,

Thank you so much for your lovely review and for your excellent scoring.
We are really proud to read that you had such a pleasant stay at our resort and that you enjoyed all of our available facilities. After this amazing description about your stay and about our resort and its amenities. There is nothing more to say, but a big THANK YOU.
All the members of our Hotels & Resorts group wish you the best and it will be very pleasant for us to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We had just had a week at this hotel and had a great time. The rooms were a good size and the beds very comfortable, the food was very good and a good choice but wished they did hot gravy not cold.
The staff worked very hard but were always happy to help. The hotel was in a quiet area but we did get the local bus in to Chania I would say the only downside was there was no information about the hotel what was going on or the in the area, also we were all inclusive and only received
a scrap of paper which didn't really explain what we could get being all inclusive

Room Tip: pool side rooms would be great if you have young children
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear holidaymaker256,
Thank you very much for your review.
We are really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at our resort.
As you already mention, all the members of our staff are working hard in order to satisfy all of our guests. As this is our main target and our first priority.
Regarding the information of what happens at the area around the hotel, we would suggest that you should to ask our front desk about anything you wanted to know, as they are quite capable of giving you such information of the local area.
Finally, we would like to thank you for the suggestions about the paper which includes the information of our all-inclusive program. This paper indicates analytically all the facilities of our all-inclusive program. However, once again you should have asked the front desk if you had any further queries.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
The management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolymbari
Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 12 in Kolymbari
Minoa Palace Resort
Minoa Palace Resort
#1 of 68 in Platanias

Been to Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!