“A modern, stylish luxury resort for getting away from it all”

Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kolymbari
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A modern, stylish luxury resort for getting away from it all”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Having been originally booked in at the Santa Marina Plaza situated in Aghia Marina, we were disappointed to hear that the room with a sea view we had booked was not available therefore the reception staff said they would place us in their luxury sister hotel a few kilometres away.

Upon arrival, we were initially concerned as the hotel appeared to be in the middle of nowhere however our disappointment soon dissipated as the hotel appeared to be luxurious and decadent and we were informed we were on an all-inclusive by way of apology. Not one for being all-inclusive we were sceptical but the drinks and decent food soon seemed to make sense as we alternated nights out which we had to take a taxi to (€17 to Platanias - neared town with some life) with nights in sipping lovely local wine in a great hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Our room was perfect, very spacious and modern with a great view of the sea. What we lacked of location with some nightlife we made up with a great room, hotel and free food and drinks.

The pool area was lovely, plenty of sun beds and a pool which was perfect plus a great pool bar. Plenty of time to read some books and sip drinks - some cocktails were also included on the all-inclusive plus staff would approach asking if we wanted anything at regular intervals. Again, the hotel was stylishly designed and provided a perfect backdrop to the mountains and sea.

It was a very quiet hotel, not too many children and appeared to be geared towards the Scandinavian market but we quite liked this, very peaceful and serene plus the staff could not do enough to accommodate us. The rooms were regularly checked and fresh towels seemed to appear throughout the various times of the day without any interruption to us whatsoever.

All in all, we decided that the location was made up by the quality and serenity of this fabulous hotel, smart and quietly grand without losing customer focus with brilliantly attentive staff. We will probably return if we visit West Crete again.

Room Tip: If you want to get away from it all and lovely a beautiful location and peaceful hotel, this is the...
3 Thank Noskibabe1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had originally booked the Santa Marina Beach hotel, which was close to my daughter's conference site, but were told the boiler/water wasn't working and we would be relocated to the Cavo Spada. We were less than thrilled because the location, although quiet and lovely, was a few more miles out of our way. But since we had a rental car, we decided we could make it. We were given a basic room with a sea view, and the all inclusive option. Hotel was lovely, and the clientele looked like they were really enjoying themselves, but we were out and about during most of our stay, so we weren't really the typical 'all inclusive' relaxing/spa customers. We visited Chania and the Venetian Harbor 2x, we toured the Karavitakis Winery, visited the Afrata and Marathi beaches, touched the 3000 year old olive tree, watched soccer games at the bars in Platanias.. etc. We did partake of breakfast all three mornings, as well as one lunch and one dinner.The food was very good, and the dining atmosphere very relaxing. In short, nice hotel for those who want to stay on the property and eat and relax. But, I have a few suggestions.
1. Please put a light up with your sign on the road.. it is extremely difficult to find the turn off for Cavo Spada at night. (If you get to Carrefour, you've gone too far!).
2. Please stop the arcane practice of requiring a towel deposit. People are paying hundreds of dollars/euros a night.. go ahead and put out piles of big puffy white towels like resorts all over the world do. How many people will really smuggle your towels back to Germany, Italy, Finland and the U.S.?
3. Invest in a few truckloads of sand for a little sandy spot on that beach. I have NEVER walked on a more uncomfortable beach at a resort. There was no place for the little children to play on the beach, and they were pretty much stuck with the grassy lawn (which is alright if you don't have a beautiful beach 10 yards away!).

In summary, I have to admit that the 'all inclusive' concept has just too many rules for me (You will eat breakfast at this time, lunch at this time, dinner at this time. You will pay 1 Euro for 10 minutes of internet access, you will have only certain drinks with your dinner, the pool bar will close at 6:00, you will give us a 10 Euro deposit for your towel, your mixed drink menu consists of 10 specific cocktails... AAAgh!), but everyone else seemed to enjoy the freedom of just relaxing and not constantly pulling out the wallet for every meal and drink. The hotel is lovely, the food is very good,the staff was professional and polite and the atmosphere very soothing. But if I returned to the island, I would try again for a beach hotel in a livelier part of the island; just a personal preference. But if you like the availability of a spa, and want to be pampered in a pseudo-isolated, luxurious location, this is the spot for you.

Room Tip: Although we did not have a room with the attached pool access, that looked really inviting.
6 Thank MustSeeThis
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The cavo spada is a hotel to relax.
Our room was elegant with direct access to a very very large pool!
The food was excellent with a lot of choices, fresh salads and deserts. We had the "all inclusive package" and we taste the Italian restaurant and the beach tavern. Drinks are OK. The staff was friendy and very good service.
I recommend Cavo Spada to anyone!

Ellen

3 Thank ellen v
London
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Wow! This hotel is an extra special place which I know I WILL return to at some point. As holidays ALWAYS do, the holiday went really quickly, but this time I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO GO. As the taxi progressed up the drive to take me back to rainy blighty I didn't want to leave. And it wasn't just the Crete soothing sunshine, or the fact that IT WAS ACTUALLY raining in the UK, but the fact that just about (I will outline my moans as usual but really they are far and between) everything in this hotel is perfect. The staff work hard to make your holiday the best it can be, particularly the reception and bar staff. I have never stayed in such a superb hotel and I have stayed in quite a few ... so this really IS REALLY praise to the hotel.

I was originally booked into to another hotel, but on arrival was moved to the Cavo Spada. And as you drive up, you are greeted with a deluxe hotel. However, there is deluxe AND deluxe and this IS DELUXE as when you walk out onto the decking and stand looking out over the vast pool, stunning pool bar and the beautiful beach you know you ARE clearly in heaven.

The rooms are well equipped and very clean and there is a fully-stocked minibar. I was also impressed by the clear recording of what has been taken from the minibar by hotel staff. Everyday I was left a card with a list of items used and this means you can check anything you are unsure about with reception before your day of departure.

As for the restaurants, I have good and bad points to make: you can choose from the buffet or the Italian Restaurant, and being an Italian fan the Italian Restaurant was my first choice. You need to book 24 hours ahead, but the food was fantastic. The food is included in the 'all inclusive' deal (I must talk about that before I finish!) but drinks are extra. You get four courses, and what I loved most is that you can see it being cooked in front of you. I am unsure about the buffet to be honest; I guess my problem is I am not a breakfast fan. So, for the first few days I picked around with the breakfast, but then I saw the chef making pancakes and i was much happier. I know when people or the hotel reads this, they probably think I am being rather picky, but I think my other problem was that there was not much variation in the menu and that can become quite boring. To compensate this, I ate at a lovely taverna just outside the hotel one night and visited Chania town on aother occasion. One other point to make about the food, was one morning I had a very early start for an excursion and I ordered an early breakfast. I appreciate that it was too early for the buffet restaurant and 'early breakfast' was organised but I would have preferred the opportunity to have some fresh fruit included instead of fresh salads and meat!

The BEST part to this hotel is the pool bar! It is well designed, and as I write this I am looking out as rain drops pouring down my window, wanting to be back there. It was a ritual to have a Coffee at the bar before the sunbathing began and the staff were great, they remembered ya face really quickly so you didn't constantly need to get your all inclusive card out every time.

The other facility by the pool, the snack bar, was rather confusing. I wanted to eat by the pool at this snackbar rather than head up to the main buffet restaurant but it seemed you could only do this if you had contacted reception the day before. Lack of clear information, like this, was one aspect to the hotel that needs work. I experienced thesame problem one day when I had lost a pair of sunglasses (annoying on holiday!) and I asked at the pool bar, reception desk and the pool manager, with no luck. It was only after breakfast the next day I realised I had them at lunch the previous afternoon so I asked in the restaurant and they had been found to my relief. It would have been helpful if this information could have been passed onto reception earlier.

Whilst there is nothing much that was a disapointment, the spa distinctly was. It is beautiful, but I think it needs some work. The use of the sauna and steamroom is not included in the all inclusive, which was disappointing, but not as much as the wait. You have to actually wait for the staff to turn them on, and on holiday you don't really want that. Also, I wanted to book in for a treatment on my first day, as I know that it takes me a while to relax on holiday and the time goes sooooo quickly and the receptionist struggled to fit me in. I was led to believe that this was because the spa was busy, though when I arrived for my treatment I waited forty minutes before I even completed my heath form purely because the female staff were chattering amongst themselves. I was frustrated by this, as my holiday was being wasted sat in the waiting room when all I wanted to do was relax quickly and return to the sunshine.

The hotel is family friendly and clearly encourages children. I don't have children myself (yet!) but I do have a two year--old niece and a six month old niece and I am now thinking about whether hotels are right for them. Whilst I will suggest to my sister that they should be taken to the Cavo Spada, I did notice the lack of a lifeguard by the pool. I was impressed the beach had a lifeguard, but I was also concerned that there were periods of theday where he wasn't there and that was also a concern.

As for the pool, again it was perfect and I liked how pool staff would come and take orders from those sunbathing by the pool and on the beach. I did feel though the lack of sunbeds was a distinct problem, the beds were taken very quickly and one reason for this was there were not enough of them. On one occasion, I saw an elderly couple sunbathing on the grass because there were no sunbeds.

As for the all inclusive? I wasn't sure what to expect, as it was my first experience of an all inclusive hotel. The verdict ... it WAS BRILLIANT! It made the holiday less stressful as you are not constantly worrying about money.

Overall, you can't go wrong at the Cavo Spado ... it was one, if not, of the best holidays ever ... so thank you Cavo Spada!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank thetraveller089
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Initially my boyfriend and I booked a one week vacation in Marina Plaza Hotel, near Chania, Crete. Upon arrival we were informed, that there was a problem with our room in Marina Plaza, so we were upgraded to Cavo Sapada and given a one week free rent-a-car. What a great deal! At first we were a little bit sceptical, because Cavo Spada is further away from Chaina and the conference that my boyfriend attended, but the minute we arrived at the hotel, all doubts disappeared. The hotel is perfect for a quiet holiday. It is very clean, the food is great and the staff is friendly. It is located directly next to the beach. It is better to have a rent-a-car, if you want to have a nightlife or visit Chaina (which is a wonderful town). We also drove to Knossos, Falasarna beach (highly recommended) and Elafonisi Beach. We also took an organized trekking tour of Samaria gorge, which was great (don't forget to bring a hat and good walking shoes).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Tolmincica1
Manager98, Manager at Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind words and your time to feedback. For us it is the reward for trying to make your holidays as pleasant as possible.

The warmest regards from the management and the staff of Cavo Spada

Ioannis M. Karakasis - Manager of Cavo Spada.
Reviewed June 13, 2012

There is a lot of positive things to say about the hotell: very nice rooms, good food, relaxing environment, wonderful SPA treatments.
BUT I have to let you know about the negative things too! What made me sad was the environment among the staff in the hotels restaurant. Our favourite was Dimtri, because he was calm and genuine. Also Maria was nice, always smiling and being nice to everyone. Unfortunatelly there was some kind of bullying against Dimtri! A person named Giannis in the staff did treat Dimtri bad, always telling him what to do, while he was just standing there. Giannis did not treat every guest the same. He had his favourites and had a bad attitude! I really hope his boss will read this and do something about this situation. Giannis was very loud too. Sometimes he was almost screaming. It doesn't belong in a 5 star hotel! The staff should be relaxed and genuine.
I still had a nice stay in this hotel and will maybe go back in the future.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank RebeccaBorg
The staff and I would like to thank you for you feedback and we will be very happy to welcome you again in Cavo Spada.
Certainly the staff in all departments should be relaxed and genuine. Dimitris this year make his trainee in our hotel as a student of a hotel school. I asked Giannis to be more polite with all the staff, especially with the students because there are the future of the hotel hospitality and not to be so loud at the restaurant. You have his apologize and the promise that was the last time.

We send you the warmest greetings.

Ioannis M. Karakasis – Manager of Cavo Spada
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We have just returned (June 2012) from the Cavo Spada (2 adults, 2 children) and cannot say anything negative about this hotel. The food was first class with a different menu each day, the service was friendly, particularly those staff working in the restaurant and the hotel was clean. We were in a family room with a shared pool which was so nice we only ventured away from the hotel once to visit Chania. The bus service is frequent and reliable. The beach is pebbles, very uncomfortable to walk on (sturdy shoes recommended) but once in the sea, extremely pleasant. My husband and I did find it slightly amusing that despite 'do not disturb' notices on our bedroom door we were frequently visited by unannounced room service - potentially very embarassing. Despite this I would highly recommend Cavo Spada (unless on your honeymoon).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim H
Manager98, Manager at Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
We would like to thank you for posting your moments in Cavo spada and we are glad that were enjoyable.
Regarding the “visiting” at your room I am terrible sorry. The room maids and the personnel know very well that we don’t disturb when there is a paper sign out of the door. Maybe you don’t know that except the paper sign there is a button “do not disturb” behind the door . When you push it, a red light blinks in front and behind the door and you activate the “do not disturb”. No card can open the door except mine for safety reasons.

We hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Ioannis Karakasis – Manager at Cavo Spada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolymbari
Porto Platanias Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 69 in Platanias
Grand Bay Beach Resort
Grand Bay Beach Resort
#2 of 13 in Kolymbari

Been to Cavo Spada Luxury Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!