“More 3.5 than 3 star, but does the job”

La Locanda del Colle
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Like most fellow reviewers, I was staying opposite at the Relais il Canalicchio and visited this place a couple of times. Food was fine, if unremarkable, but the restaurant is spectacularly dreary inside: miserable lighting and a blaring TV. The outside terrace might get 4 stars!

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Very nice and welcoming restaurant owned by a family. Very nice hosts! The wine is made by theirselfs, 5 Euro for a litre of very good house wine. And the pasta ans lasagna is fantastic. Real italian food and for two we never paid more than 40 Euro. Excellent, very recommendable!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at the Relais il Canalicchio for nine nights in June 2013, and ate at the La Locanda del Colle for seven evenings. The quality of the food was first class, the veal steaks and roast goose were excellent, as was the mushroom and truffle risotto, and the pannacotta had just the right amount of wobble! The wine was excellent value at 5 euros a litre, and came from their own vineyard. They also produced their own olive oil. A great place to eat! Well done Momma, Poppa, Daniello and sister.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I recently visited La Locanda del Colle for dinner whilst staying at the Relais il Canalicchio next door. It's a restaurant seemingly in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure how much trade they manage to get, other than from the guests next door.

We'd had a look on TA to see where in the vicinity was good to eat because our deal at the hotel only included dinner for 2 of the 3 nights we were booked to stay. This came up as the only place in Canalicchio (hardly surprising!) but as the reviews were so good it seemed silly to venture out further. Also, 5 Euro's for a litre of homemade wine was something I read very early on, and in all honesty - that had me sold! I work in the wine industry and so was very intrigued to see how this homemade tipple compared the other wines on the list. I'm pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised! I mean, I don't think it will win any awards any time soon, but you certainly can't get better value for money in a restaurant, it was definitely a good quaffer!

The only thing that really let this place down was the first impression of the owner. We arrived around 19:40 to an empty restaurant and so asked if he was open. He told us we'd have to return in 10 - 15 minutes as they wouldn't open until 19:50/20:00. From a customer service point of view, I think perhaps he could have at the very least offered us a drink at the bar while he set up. Asking us to leave for ten minutes and come back again I found slightly unaccommodating, and almost had me heading back to the hotel restaurant (this is also the reason for my giving 3 stars and not 4). However, we persevered and hung around the hotel for 20 minutes more. When we returned there were a few occupied tables (all guests at our hotel) and we were seated outside on the terrace overlooking some incredible views of the valleys.

I had also seen on TA that the shared antipasto for 12 Euro's was a must! So we opted for that for starter and I had the lasagne to follow and my partner some pappardelle in ragu. Well, the antipasto really is a must! If, like me, you are always keen to try new things but worry about ordering them in a restaurant incase you end up hating it and wasting money and a good restaurant visit (!) then this is for you! Out came a huge platter of about 15 different things. All very small, and which we cut in half so we could both try everything. It was a fantastic way to try some of the more obscure things on an Italian menu without wasting your whole order. And all but maybe 2 things I found delicious. The second course unfortunately wasn't as much of a hit - the lasagne was very small and seriously lacking on the meat front. It seemed to be mostly pasta and cheese, and it was definitely the only time I have ever muttered the words 'I could have made this better' when in Italy! However, my partners dish was delicious. So perhaps it was bad ordering on my part. Although our hotel had been serving lasagne that night too, so I'd have been very interested to have tried that in comparison. Never mind. Another thing I liked about the menu is that you could almost custom make your pasta dish - you're given a list of pasta types and a list of different sauces and it's up to you to choose which pasta you'd like with which sauce. I thought that was quite a novel idea and made ordering a little more fun (for my partner anyway - the lasagne comes as it comes).

The final course was coffee gelato in a vanilla coating - this sounds very odd and I was immediately unsure after ordering. However, it is beautiful and I would definitely recommend it!

One last thing to note is that if you're seated outside and you're too cold, just ask to go inside! It was a little bit of a chilly evening when we were there and I found myself shivering away all the way through the starter. I didn't want to seem a pansy; everyone else was sitting outside and so I thought it can't be that bad, I'm just a wimp. Eventually just before our main course the owner, obviously having taken note of my clear discomfort, asked if we'd like a table inside. I decided to hell with what people thought - I'm enjoying my main in comfort! The owner almost sniggered at us as he said 'all of the tables inside are available'. However, the joke was on him! No sooner had we taken up residence indoors than we were joined by another table from the terrace, then another, then another, oh and then another! Within about 15 minutes the restaurant was booming and the terrace was desolate. Turns out absolutely everyone was blimmin' freezing their socks off, but we were all too shy to be the first to say 'sod this - I'm off indoors'. Still, the whole thing did add a little comedy to the evening as we all gave each other knowing glances as if to say 'thank god someone finally agreed to be the first to come in'!

At the end of our meal we were very pleasantly surprised with our bill, which came to just 38 Euros for a litre of wine, 2 beers, a shared starter, 2 mains and 1 dessert - can't say fairer than that. Also, having got a little bit riled up in the excitement of a litre of wine for 5 Euros I'd seemingly forgotten that my partner doesn't drink wine and so gone ahead and ordered an entire litre (rather than a half litre for 3 Euros) for myself... Suffice to say, I still had quite a lot of wine left and had to ask for it to be doggy bagged. The owner was very accommodating with this request and washed out an old water bottle for me, which he then filled with the remainder of my wine. For this, I forgave him for the first impression earlier.

1  Thank Spu86
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had dinner here twice duing our stay in Umbria, the owner is very nice and the food is fantastic. It is very traditional food at a reasonable price, e.g the house wine is EUR 5 for a liter. The owner makes his own wine and olive oil, which can be bought at the restaurant.