“The best restaurant in Lacona.”
Review of Lo Zenzero

Lo Zenzero
Reserve with
Lo Zenzero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Lacona
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
San Antonio, Texas
“The best restaurant in Lacona.”
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Elba with my mother and we did some searching before dinner and came across raving reviews for Zenzero. I am so glad we decided to go! I can see how it may not be super busy, because it is off the beaten oath, but it is great. They do grilled items outside on a wood fired grill, and it is absolutely wonderful. We had the sliced beef, grilled vegetables, and caprese and absolutely loved everything.

We didn't speak hardly any Italian at all, and they didn't speak hardly any English at all, but it still worked and we had a really great time.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank LeahH77

Cheshire
“What a find!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We almost walked straight past this restaurant, sadly it was fairly empty and somehow not particularly welcoming (at least from what we could see from the outside). We are so glad we went in.

Lo Zenzero is situated on a dirt track (for want of a better description) not far from the back of the Lacona Hotel and close to the mini-mart situated at the T-junction at the end of the road from Portoferraio (the road which goes directly over the hill between Portoferraio and Lacona). It is signposted at both ends of the track, the name appears with "Zen" above the "Zero" as if they were separate words. It is in a quiet spot next to a vineyard and has the look of a smallholding with a garden full of odd-shaped wooden tables and chairs (all made in rustic, angular fashion). At lunch we were greeted by one of the daughters who was lovely and made us comfortable right away. My wife chose the porcini mushroom risotto which she said was the best she had ever had (I tried it and it was lovely). I had mama's spaghetti bolognase which was equally delicious, nice chunks of meat with just the right amount of sauce, enhanced with some fresh basil leaves. We also had a very drinkable bottle of house white which was a bargain at 9 Euros. We immediately booked for dinner the same day and brought our daughter and her friend with us.

The quality of the food was equally good in the evening. My wife chose a sizzling meat (beef) dish which was unbelievable value at 15 Euros, three very good-sized pieces. I felt positively dissatisfied with my pork chop - but only by comparison with the beef which my wife had to share with me in the end! The teenagers (one of whom is a vegetarian) were more than impressed with their dishes too. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and (we thought) fantastic value.

Don't walk past this restaurant (like we saw many do), positively search it out - it is a hidden gem!

• Visited August 2012