Grappolo D'oro
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Around this area we've discovered how tough is to find a place to eat at winter time. Hence, unless you've already booked a fancy resturant berween Barolo and La Morra, i strongly suggest to go straight to Monforte and stop at Il Grappolo d'oro without thinking twice.

The atmosphere is pleasant, the service very good and competent while the quality - cost ratio for food good enough to digest well ;)

We tasted a bit of everything going from starters for which we strongly recommend the Fassona Tartare to finish with a lovely chocolate cake on a orange scirop bed, very tasty indeed.
In between we've enjoyed the home made ravioli deeped in melty cheases while not too happy with the second courses. In fact, the pork "stinco" was served in half and its meat not too tender and buttery either. A bit better the chicken leg/thigh cooked in a red wine Barbera but yet too bitter and little juicy.
Sides were very eightes and little if i might add.

Very good instead the local dolcetto red wine , considering it was also Bio. Very bodied and structured. Very nice indeed.

The resturant hall was nice and cosy and the personell very easy going while fast and keen to describe courses as they came.

Ciao

Epi

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This place flies under the radar. Simple food and decor (so really can't compare to the fancier places in the area like Trattoria della Posta or Bovio) but wow, probably our favorite meal in Piedmonte. Great pasta and amazing wood grill cooked veal, terrific value, and friendly service. We tried to go back but they were fully booked with a private event. This will be the first place we go when we return to Piedmonte.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We just happened by here at lunch time, after another restaurant rather rudely told us they had no room for us. We had to wait for about five minutes before a table opened up and we were very happy that we waited. Our server, the son of the family that owned, could not have been nicer. Friendly, courteous, helpful, it was such a pleasure to have him wait on us. The wines were good, the beer was good, and all the food items we selected were excellent. Not gourmet, but good Italian comfort food, just what we were looking for. The meat had these wonderful salt shavings and we asked the server what they were and where we could get some. The next thing we knew, he brought us a rather large bottle (380g) of "Fiocchi di Sale-Bianco di Cipro. Wonderful stufff. He would not take a cent for this bottle. It was a beautiful Saturday in the beautiful town of Monforte d'Alba, sitting under the clear blue sky in the Sun, having great food and drink, and being treated so very well by the staff of this fine establishment. I would highly recommend this Locanda to anyone looking for a great place to stay or eat. Thank you for making our day so memorable.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stinko. That's what I have to say about this place, alright! Stinko! Braised and Roasted Pork Shank that is often a bit dry, as this was, but the marrow and the gravy we quite troublesome -- for my waistline!!! I asked for more gravy and they brought me a small ramekin that was a disappointing portion. However, I should thank them for my health's sake, since I might have eaten a gallon of that gravy with bread, had they served me that much. The polenta was good but the large portion of vegetables were overdone.

The entry to the restaurant was connected to a sort of quickie-mart/gelato store with lottery tickets and futbol jerseys for sale, which is where I would ultimately pay my bill. The dining room is upstairs and was obviously "wood-panel elegant" with white table cloths -- despite that I was the last in for lunch and the clean-up from the earlier lunches left the place in a shambles. I'll forgive a lot when I'm eating late and the food is this good. I will return in Spring to sit to a proper meal.

2  Thank hoohoolian
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Pros:

* Their carne cruda and the tagliata di vitello are completely amazing. We have dined in at least 20 restaurants in the area and trust us, these two dishes were easily a 9 our of 10. Seems like there is an old lady (Italian mama) responsible for cooking the food. Ice cream (in particular the hazelnut) is very good.

* Location is on the main square of Monforte and cars (and sometimes trucks) pass by. Still charming though with views over the old town and the churches. This is as lively as it gets in Monforte. Just sit down and relax and enjoy the locals doing their thing on the square.

* First impression of the resturant is not great. The bar on the ground floor is quite shabby - they even sell chips and candy. However, don't let this prevent you from trying this place out - people don't sit on the ground floor but outside on the terrace or on the second floor. Request a table on the balcony on the second floor if you're looking for a more private atmosphere.

* Service is great and friendly. Don't expect anything classy. Waiters have large tattoos and wear shorts. They understand English.

* Prices are reasonable. 7 E for starters and pasta and 8-13 E for main courses.

Cons:

* Pasta was good, although not exceptional.

* Menu is limited. Only 2-3 main courses. After eating here 3 times, there is not much else new to try. Can't really say anything negative about this place.