“Lovely lunch”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stopped into this little place after hiking from Borolo to Monforte one morning and upon the recommendation of the owner of our B&B. We were immediately greeted by a lovely green space, and our excitement grew. We snagged a seat outside and ordered a lovely, local wine. It ended up being one of the most memorable meals of our 2 week trip to Italy. Fresh ingredients in the salad. Homemade pasta. Attentive staff. Just perfect.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Montforte holds many fond memories for me. There was once another small restaurant in this charming space, so I decided to check this one out.

It was a warm, mid-May day. Bluebird sky above and a quiet Saturday. Sat in the charming patio seating in what will be a full blown lavender garden in a month or so, plus all the other flowers and herbs.

The menu is small and that's a good thing. It's an osteria, so that's expected (the full name is Osteria La Salita). It has ample excellent choices.

The bread came in a little burlap basket with crusty grissini standing in attention and smaller rolls in the basket. I wasn't crazy about the rolls - somewhat tough - but the pencil thin, crisp grissini were delicious.

I ordered two courses and a glass of Arneis. The by the glass Arneis was a Langhe Arneis and, truth be told, doesn't compare to a Roero (they have a nice wine list, so order a Deltetto, Matteo Correggia or Malvira Arneis if they are on the list and you want a bottle).

For my starter, I went with the Piemontese classic - insalata russa - done beautifully. It was wrapped in two roasted peppers. It had some notes of a delicious tonnato sauce given it was creamy and had lots of course tuna in it, but the peas and carrots made it distinctly insalata russa. I liked that the peas and carrots weren't mushy and still had a bite to them.

My main was my usual favorite - agnolotti di plin with butter and fresh rosemary stuff with meat. Could have been cooked a few seconds less, but I was not disappointed. It was delicious and more than I could eat.

I skipped dessert as I was on a gelati mission.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with La Salita for a light meal in a delightful surrounding (inside is nice, too). I have heard from restaurant-owner friends who visited it in the autumn that the food was delicious, but service was bad, but I didn't have that experience at all. Michela was delightful.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Up a steep street and back a short alley we found this delight. Small, or so it seemed, we were on the second floor, or the first floor depending. It had been a long day so we were not so hungry and 8:00 was a little late that day. All the food was great, seemed very regional, I had "plin" and a veal main course, the others pasta dishes. The wine did seem pricey compared to the 2 resaurants we had eaten in the nights before, but overall a very nice experience and enjoyable meal. Maybe the rating is due tho the 2 wonderful meals the nights before. I would definitely return

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This lovely small restaurant is run by a husband and wife. The food is very well prepared typical local fare served in a cozy 2 story area. Wonderful wine list and great service.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were a fairly large group (ca 10 people) and were delighted to get a large table upstairs in an early evening in the not-so-busy restaurant. Until end of the appetizers, things went well and the food was good though not spectacular. Then everything changed - the waitress seemed to completely forget our group, and afte a fairly long wait (ca 30 minutes) the first main courses started to be served - not everybody got their meals, though and by the time, after an additonal 20 minutes, I had to go and fetch the waitress who showed no interest for our group. I finally got my steak (asked for medium) - which was cold, I mean completely cold, from the inside - I sent it back and waited another 10 minutes to get the same steak heated - and dried. Except my disasterous steak, the rest of the group were not unhappy with their various dishes - the lack of service and the long waiting spoilt the evening for all, though.