“pure elegance for elegant people”
Review of Cafe Restaurant Van Gogh - CLOSED

Cafe Restaurant Van Gogh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: While travelling to Villasimius, you will encounter along the amazing panoramic coastal road the restaurant "Cafe Van Gogh". The fabulous garden terrace provide a tranquil and picturesque setting. The place serves a range of excellent, innovative well-presented dishes at reasonable prices. The restaurant's speciality is pasta, meat or fish meze as well as sizzling steaks and spare ribs. Try the typical ravioli and the tantalizing mixed grills. Throughout the day light bites are served. The tranquil setting makes it an ideal venue for those wishing to escape to the country and enjoy food and refreshments in a relaxing and peaceful environment.
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I visit this restaurant every time I come to Sardegna and I have to say I realy don't understand the negative comments ,,each time the service was excellent ,,I noticed the new waiter and waitress who are brother and sister are so polite and friendly ,, they spoke English very well and not only ,,I heard them speak French too ..the typical sardinian food was exquisite in paticular '' la pasta al sapore di Cabras '' or ''al Oristanese '' I'd also reccomend ''pesce spada alla mediterania ''or ''costine di maiale al barbeque ''with the CHEF'S SECRET sauce .. the prices are well worth the quality ,,the eating area and garden are so relaxing and peaceful not like many of those noisy places you see around ... but what can you realy compare the Elegance and Refinement to ????? 5 or 10 euro less ..squashed tables and loud noises ???

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We visited this restaurant several times during our holiday to Sardinia. We stayed at nearby Torre delle Stelle so it was only 5 mins away by car. The fresh fish was fantastic as were the accompanying sides and the service was wonderful. The waiting staff spoke good english which was helful with my very limited Italian. We visited at lunchtime but the evening set menu looked delicious and very good value for money. Iwould definately recommend a visit.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We read about the restaurant online via The Guardian and accidentally stumbled upon it on the way home from a day of adventuring.

The restaurant had only just opened for the season 3 days ago, so some dishes on the menu were not yet available. Not a worry for us. One of the things we love about Sardinia is the honest, no nonsense yet congenial culture. Real people who are very genuine and do their best to welcome visitors.

The location and setting is lovely and would be simply idyllic in warm weather. Because we are in spring and this week was cooler, we ended up eating inside. Also nice.

The waiter and waitress were a marvellous brother and sister pair with impeccable English (mother is Irish and father is Sardinian) and fantastic service. Very friendly and attentive without being overbearing. They added to the welcoming setting, and also provided some helpful tourism advice and destinations.

The food was delicious. I ordered the lamb stew (one of the few times I've seen lamb on a Sardinian menu so far.). Was delicious flavour. My wife ordered the spaghetti and clams, as she simply loved mine at lunch the other day. Her dish was also superb flavour, although could have been hotter temperature. She also had the Sardinian dessert with cheese in pastry with honey and loved it.

We will certainly return this week for a preordered special meal of suckling pig. You just ring up the day in advance.

Complimentary Mirta (for her) and Limoncello (for me, because I indicated a dislike of mirror) at the end of the meal topped off a great visit.

Thank you Nicolo and sorella. We will see you again...

1  Thank CurlyFarm
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on our holidays a couple of times. It's low season here in October and many bars and restaurants are closed or only open part of the week so it was nice to have somewhere open which was nearby - it was only a few minutes walk from our villa.
Our food was very nice, the homemade wine was delicious.
Our host was very friendly and welcoming and spoke good English, as did his waiter.
The choice of food was quite narrow, many menu items weren't available - but this was the end of the season and the owner said he was closing at the end of the week.
He told us that the restaurant was closing the night of our visit but we could see his lights on from our villa every night for a couple more weeks - not sure what that was about. Must have chAnged his mind!!
It was one of the more expensive meals that we had about €160 for 5 of us including wine, pasta dish, main and dessert - oh and limoncello for the grown ups!! I would happily go back and recommend this place.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family stayed at the nearby Torre delle Stelle hotel without knowing mid-September is already the start of the winter season and bars and restaurants had started closing down. Fortunately we found Cafe Van Gogh which became easily our favourite restaurant during our holiday and we went 3 times in all. The menu is local and classic Sardinian, especially the grilled Gilthead was terrific, and the Tiramisu was delicious. If the owner is there his English is good but even the waiter who did not was friendly and helpful, which contrasted with every other restaurant and cafe we went to where all the female waitresses seem to be in a competition to be the most miserable and bored on the island. Seating is simple but comfortable, but to be honest very comparable with other local places. You can sit inside or out on the terrace. We spent 90-110 Euros for meal with drinks for three adults, which was more than elsewhere but probably because we ordered more anyway. Definitely recommended.