“Avoid the restaurant !”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ripatransone
Aalst, Belgium
“Avoid the restaurant !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Overall, the hotel is OK. Rooms are up to standard for a 4-star hotel. Staff is very friendly. A special thank you for Michele, who tried to to comfort for the bad restaurant. The swimming pool is nice, but nightly poolparty's ruin the silence. The most disappointing about the hotel is the very bad restaurant. For some reason the chef doesn't same to be able to prepare appropriate Italian dishes. If you are by car, don't go for half board. Choose for B&B and explore the local (inexpensive and extremely good) restaurants.

Room Tip: Consider other hotels in the area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LukaSaliba

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I've been at Calanchi several times and I can say the hotel, with the recently renewed rooms, and especially the restaurant are great with a special selection of local food and wines. Summer "Piazzeta" dinners are amazing! 'Fritto misto all'Ascolana' and 'Truffle Spaghetti alla Chitarra' are definitely recomended.
...Beathtaking sunsets by the swimming pool.
I will spend some days at Calanchi this summer too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank GiorgioWX
ICalanchiHotel, Public Relations Manager at I Calanchi Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thanks Giorgio!!
we will surprise you this summer again! stay tuned!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

if you're looking for some sweet shade in italy these days, there really isn't any other place i would bother mentioning. Not too far from most of those tour havens so during a few days of most deserved leave time we truly didn't go wrong by choosing I Calanchi for our stay off the same old beaten path if you know...Fantastic scenery, quite amazing actually; and the room impressed us much more than i had expected. its worth mentioning that it felt much nicer, more exclusive, and personal than any old fancy resort, felt a lot like being with family. The food is also a delight to recall on, I recommend the wine. Simply a splendid gastronomic experience. honestly everything you could expect and much more.

Room Tip: I do recommend a room on the far side, which are on the side facing the mountainous area.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kenfudo T
Hello Kenfudo! How are you? I hope very well...
thanks for your appreciation ... your taste and style is always unique!!
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I've been to Calanchi many times! I love the place, the food, the peace this place gives me.
It is very quite and private. Great charm and service.The rooms are very beautiful. The restaurant is awesome. Very friendly staff and the owners are great hosts. It is romantic and very relaxing. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hadinnet Y
Dear Hadinnet, thanks for your appreciation!! ... we are waiting for you whenever you want!
See you soon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Love this place! Have been visiting for many years and the quality of family welcome, good service, charm and coziness is wonderful. Above all - the restaurant, food and wine, is as stunningly good as ever, with the owner, Dr Vincenzo Marcicci, a marvellous host. The hotel has wonderful peaceful views out across the valley to Ripatransone, and is close to the coastal resorts of the Adriatic riviera without the burly-burly of the seaside. A great place and firmly lodged in our favourites.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Mikewatts100
Hi Mr. Watts!!
thanks for the kind comment! are you ready for your next holiday? so we are ... and the sun begins to heat our wonderful hills!!
best regards
Deurne, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and I had a 3-weeks holliday. We first visited Corsica, Sardinia, and then the south of Italy. We visited Sorrento, Matera, Lecce, Santa Maria di Luca, Manfredonia and finally Ripatrisone. There we stayed at the Calanchi Country hotel. From the start (checking in) we noticed the very nice relaxed atmosphere in this hotel. Very friendly staff and owner/manager. Although most Italians - especially in the south - do not speak English very well, we were releaved that all hotel personel spoke English very well. The quality of the rooms is excellent and everything is very clean. The view over the hills is absolutely magnificent. The swimming pool is very nice, only the sunbeds are a little less. In the evening you can have dinner outside, between the reception building and the restaurant building. There are restaurant tables with parasols. It looks like if you are at a cosy village square, but with on one side this magnificent view over the hills.
The surrounding area of the hotel is very nice too: very quiet (traffic), propper roads and everywhere beautiful scenery. Also very nice for motorcycling or biking (quite steep sometimes!). The prices for rooms, food and drinks are appropiate, so we don't understand the review of the English family at all.
We can highly recommend this hotel to everybody who wants a quiet, peaceful and relaxed holiday in a beautiful scenery. We hope to go there again some day.
Best regards, Jan & Evie Jegerings, Deurne - Holland.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Jan J
Hello Mr & Mrs Jegerings!!...we are very glad that you had a pleasant stay!!

A big hug from Marcucci's family & the staff!!
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

The hotel in itself is a nice hotel...set high up on a mountain top 15 minute drive from San Benedetto Del Tronto...a nice un-noticed Adriatic sea touristy area...

Watch out for the hidden costs of this hotel. If you book through Expedia, like we did, ensure you check with the hotel about your children. We arrived after a 7 hour drive to find that they were never notified that our 3 children were in tow. Also it is a "pay at the end" hotel so even if you book months ahead like we did, you wont be billed until the end of your stay. 400 additional euro later our children were given a room to sleep in. In a seperate block and without adults (they are 10, 11, and 13). We put a do not disturb sign on the door and the cleaners entered anyhow which was annoying. The gate to the hotel closes at midnight and the restaurant is open to the public. There is a pool which is nice...except for when it is hired out to parties...when you are unable to get a seat by the pool as a guest, that too is irritating. Also, check if there are any special events going on as the road to the hotel was shut between 2 and 6 pm for a bike race. We had to either stay at the hotel or stay in town until it reopened.

None of the menus at the restaurant are in english and only 1 waiter spoke english which made it difficult to order and caused a long wait. Meals there are expensive as well...we went to San Benedetto and got 5 pizza's for less than 30 euro, At the hotel we paid 75 euro for 3 kids to share a platter of spagetti and 2 adults to share some meat and potatoes.

This hotel is a nice one....just watch out for the extra person charges. We booked 4 hotels on our trip and this was the ONLY one that was not notified we had 3 children. Wouldnt have stayed for the cost had we known we could just walk away and hadnt already paid money to stay there. Also, when we paid the bill, my credit card was kept by accident at reception and when the staff realized I hadnt paid for the original reservation, they took the liberty of charging my credit card an additional 390 euros...without asking me first.......(I was going to use a different one until he said "oh I already charged it ... you just need to sign here...")

The owners are very friendly and did what they could to please us with the issue of Expedia not notifying them of the children...but we had no knowledge we had to notify them after our CONFIRMATION CONFIRMED 2 adults and 3 children. It was a mess and really threw a loop in our holiday...Whos ever heard of booking a room for a family a five and then having to phone to make sure the kids didnt have to sleep in the car? What would have happened had the extra room not been available or if we couldnt afford the additional room. We were told they could not stay in our room with us and be aware as well, children over 4 are considered/charged as adults.

The brochure advertises a fitness suite, however, there is only a running machine, stationary bike and a boflex located on the deck of the pool...not really what I would consider a "gym".

As you can see, we have mixed feelings about our stay there...it was nice...but had some irritating issues we had to deal with while there...maybe the drama leading up to the stay made things horrible and caused our delight in the hotel to dwindle...but it was VERY expensive and we wouldnt put out that money for what we got again.

Would recommend if money isnt an issue and you need a quiet retreat...not for young people really...find a hotel near the water...they seemed to provide more of a "holdiay" atmosphere.

No doubt the restaurant is classy but we had no attire to compare to the others that came for an evening meal which resulted in us feeling very uncomfortable dressed in our holiday travel clothes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank Gritsnc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripatransone
Boutique Hotel Magnolia
Villa Picena
Villa Picena
#1 of 3 in Colli Del Tronto
Il Sapore della Luna Agriturismo

Been to I Calanchi Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!