We stayed five nights at Petrolo in the Vigna house as part of our 3 week vacation through Italy and France. Our family of seven voted Vigna house our favorite location and the first place we would come back to visit again. The house is situated in the middle of an olive grove with beautiful views of the Tuscan countryside out each of the many windows. The five bedrooms comfortably accomadated 5 adults and 2 teens w/ multiple bathrooms and showers. Marco and Nada supplied us with information on the nearby villages and restaurants, power cord adapters and other miscellaneous needs. They were very responsive to our requests and quite friendly. The set up a tour of the Petrolo winery and referred us to someone who provided a Tuscan cooking lesson in our Vigna kitchen. The kitchen is well supplied and spacious enough to cook a 4 course Italian meal from scratch for seven people. We cooked daily at the house.
The location is very convenient as it is about 45 minutes from Florence and Sienna and 30 minutes from Arezzo.
The farmhouse is old, though clean and well maintained. When we had a problem with the water supply in one of the bathrooms, Marco was out soon to remedy the situation. There is a weathered picnic table outside that was the sight of our breakfasts and dinners - quiet, peaceful w/ spectacular views. The breezes that blow though the house are great. We needed to set doorstops up in many of the doors as the wind coming up the hillside fills the house with refreshing breeze.
The pool is about 50 meters from the Vigna house and is shared w/ the Ferriale house next door. Very lovely, just had to watch out for the wasps that like to drink from the pool. Marco was headed out to deal with them as we were leaving.
Overall, this house is a great value with a convenient location. It is a farmhouse (built in the 19th century) so don't expect luxury appointments. It is a clean, comfortable and spacious Tuscan country home. We hope to return to Petrolo Vigna house in the not distant future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Petrolo owns lovely farm holiday houses and an XVIII century Villa ideal for large groups, events and celebrations. Petrolo is in the south-eastern side of the Chianti hills and dominates the panorama of the Valdarno valley. Between 30 to 50 km from Florence, Siena and Arezzo, Petrolo is placed in an area full of charm, the ideal base for discovering Tuscan renowned history, art, food and wine. Perfect location to relax soaking-in the unaffected natural comfort of our countryside, among vineyards and olive groves, maybe diving in our swimming pools or getting to the near Thermal Baths. Petrolo is a winery passionately producing award-winning wines and organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Landmark of the estate is the medieval watchtower of Galatrona while precious renaissance works by Giovanni Della Robbia can be found in the old Parish Church of Galatrona, facing Villa Petrolo. We are pleased to offer to our guests a visit of our winery with tasting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Petrolo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tenuta Di Petrolo Hotel Mercatale Valdarno
- Petrolo Mercatale Valdarno, Italy - Tuscany