“Excellent food.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlestown
Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Charlestown B&B and Inns
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food.”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

During a recent visit to Ireland with friends and staying close by to Charlestown we asked some locals about the restaurants and the Riverside was the one we chose. So good was our visit that we returned another two times during our stay. The staff where very helpful and courteous and attentive to our requests. The meals we had satisfied each one of us greatly, well prepared and presented.and the menu was varied and not excessively over priced. If we are back in the area in the future we will definitely call again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
candise382
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a family room. The bed room was large and very clean, we had views of the river (sadly no ducks but two footballs!) and the beds were comfy. The only negative was that the curtains were very thin -

The breakfast was plentiful, we also had a meal on our first evening which was top notch.

The staff were friendly and attentive, and made us and our children very welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Through a mix up I arrived at Knock airport a day early and on the recommendation of an airport staff member I hopped on a bus for a 20 minute journey into Charlestown and spotted the Riverside restaurant and B & B right across from the bus stop. As I walked into the restaurant I knew it was the place to be and the girl on reception checked me into a single room for the night and at a very good price. The room was comfortable and spotless and with the bathroom right facing me across a very narrow hallway. The bathroom was spotless with several clean towels. It was so peaceful in the morning that I stayed asleep until 9am before I went down to breakfast. A real Irish breakfast which was delicious. The owners and the staff are very helpful and so friendly. Me!! Oh I'll make it my base when I tour Mayo again. Close to Charlestown is Knock Shrine, Wesport and just a 3 hour drive to Galway and many more lovely places

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tractorboy10
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Called in by chance when driving through Charlestown on way home to Belfast. Great food, value and staff... Would definitely recommend. It was really really good home cooked food and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
dublin
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We went to the Riverside today for Mother's Day.

The staff are lovely and friendly, and offering a free glass of house wine to Mom was a nice touch.
It is very casual however, and we had to find our own menus when we came in. Nobody to greet us, nothing formal

The food menu was just the usual Sunday lunch affair--turkey and ham or roast beef with mash and veg, or breaded fish or chicken curry, etc. Large portions. Nothing gourmet about the food in any shape or form.,More like a Sunday lunch in a hotel carvery..

But the good thing is, the prices reflect that. It is very good value, and you get what you pay for.

We had an enjoyable lunch in this attractive old building. Perhaps we might have liked the food to have been a bit more special, but overall it was a nice experience

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, England
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We have stayed at the Riverside over a number of years for short visits to friends in Charlestown, and the Riverside just isn't what it used to be. The staff are very still very friendly but the organisation leaves a lot to be desired.

This time we arrived to a cold building and cold room, with the radiator only turned on as we entered. It took two days to get the room warm. What hadn't been mentioned when we booked was that the restaurant is closed on Thursday, the day we arrived, although they directed us to a nice Chinese down the road (no other restaurants were open or available so its lucky that we liked Chinese food).

For most of our four days we were the only people staying in the building, so we still can't comprehend why they put a party of revellers in the rooms right next to us on Saturday night, meaning we were woken at 2am for nearly two hours by drunken shouting and noise. They knew the people were coming for a party/reception so this was just stupid. Although they gave us one night free in compensation, it still left us very tired for the rest of our stay.

What was very worrying is that our drunken experience uncovered the fact that none of the owners are available after 9.30pm. Guests are on their own in the building, literally, with no means of seeking help or assistance if something goes wrong after that time - they have removed the phones from the rooms and they don't stay themselves - they certainly didn't hear the drunken shouting that we had to endure at 2am. This is a large and very old building, and this seems to be a very dangerous decision by the owners. When I complained about this the owner's son gave me his mobile phone number as reassurance. Nice of him, but hardly a solution.

Sadly, we're not staying there again.

Room Tip: Don't visit in Winter, and don't stay in rooms overlooking the street - can be noisy. And do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nightrider54
Luvtotravel365, Owner at Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Nightrider54
On behalf of my wife and I, my son Anthony and the staff at Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse, Charlestown, Co. Mayo I would like to thank you for taking time to post your comments on your recent stay and also to thank you for staying with us. I am delighted to read that you got a friendly welcome from our staff as it is a family run guesthouse and we do try to give a warm welcome and homely service to all our guests.
Your room is positioned to the quieter rear of the building away from any street noise.
You say that the room took two days to warm up. You were actually in the warmest room in the house as is usually very quick to heat up.
When my Manageress checked with the gentleman from your room, during breakfast, the morning after your arrival if everything was all right with the room he informed her that the “room was too hot” and that he had to “turn down the radiator during the middle of the night”. Perhaps one of you turned down the radiator and forgot to turn it back on again. As the Radiators are not thermostatically controlled and work manually, this would have resulted in your room remaining cold.
All our other rooms have telephones but unfortunately your room telephone was indeed missing. This was not intentionally removed by either myself or my staff as your review seems to suggest and I must assume that it was taken by a guest previous to your arrival. It was only when you highlighted this that we became aware of it. This is something that happens quite regularly with items in the rooms. I have had Televisions, phones, towels, bathroom fittings, antiques and collectables etc. removed in the past. Displayed on all the telephones and in all the information folders in each room there is an in house number to use in the case of emergency or any needs at any time of the day or night. Unfortunately because your phone was missing you were unable to call this number. For the anxiety this caused you I apologise unreservedly. I have replaced the telephone in this room thanks to your review.
I have been working in this business for over thirty years and I still do not have the ability to predict the future or how my incoming guests will behave. The other guests staying during your stay were booked by a local woman for her relations coming home to a family celebration. I am not in the habit of judging people in advance so the idea that they would be noisy revellers did not occur to me. I fully understand your frustration at being kept awake during the night by noisy guests but to refer to us as stupid I find hurtful and unfair. I have a ten bedroom guesthouse and these people booked the other available double rooms, one of which was adjacent to yours. However for their poor behaviour I do apologise.
To alleviate your concerns about guest safety, My room is on the same property as Riverside and is far closer to you than you would have been if you stayed in any hotel where you had to go down 3 floors etc or walk 100 metres to get attention. We are connected by telephones, and all rooms have fire alarms connected to both my room and an alarm monitoring station and local Garda and Fire Station. This makes Riverside in effect a very safe place to stay.
I wish to thank you for staying with us this time and the many times in the past. I am sorry to hear that you won’t be staying with me again because in that situation we both lose. Should you however decide to return you can be assured a safe and peaceful stay.
Kind regards
Anthony Kelly
Proprietor
Westbury, Wiltshire
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Riverside sits alongside the river that runs through Charlestown, close to the main square where ther are a number of shops and pubs. Parking is on the street and is no problem and although a Bed and Breakfast, it also has a restaurant that serves lunch and dinner. It is much larger than it appears from the front, extending backwards alongside the river, although its construction is somewaht quirky with tortuous passages and it is easy to go down the wrong staircase!

Our room was large, but was the farthest from the front and the internet router so we could not get a signal in our room. There was a TV, but we were there during the changover from analogue to digital so we could not use it, for which the Riverside volunteered a discount on our bill. The double bed was large, there was a good shower, a hair dryer was produced when we requested one and there was an iron and ironing board for shared use outside our door. Tea and coffee is not provided in the bedroom but is available in the resident's lounge where internet access was also available.

Breakfasts were excellent, and Anthony (the owner's son) an excellent cook and host with everything prepared freshly. We eat in one night at the restaurant (we were entertained elsewhere the other nights) - the menu was limited but the food excellent, the service prompt and the staff extremely friendly.

We had received a personal recommendation from a relative who had previusly stayed there and we in turn would also recommend it as an excellent base for those visiting Counties Mayo and Sligo.

Room Tip: For internet access, choose a room towards the stree end.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louis L
Luvtotravel365, Owner at Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Louis L

On behalf of my wife and I, my son Anthony and the staff at Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse, Charlestown, Co. Mayo I would like to thank you for taking time to post your comments on your recent stay and also to thank you for staying with us. I am delighted to read that you got an extremely friendly welcome from our staff as it is a family run guesthouse and we do try to give a warm welcome and homely service to all our guests.
Riverside is over 180 years old so this definitely makes it an interesting house to navigate through.
My son Anthony is delighted with your review and it is all the better because we were away during your visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast and evening meals as Anthony has spent some time in Kitchens in the south of France and it is obviously paying off.
Riverside is indeed an ideal base for touring the counties of the west and the fact that we are only 6km from Ireland West Airport Knock means you are only 10 minutes drive to the airport when you arrive or before your departure. Please pass on my thanks to your relatives who recommended us to you.
I hope we can welcome you to Riverside and Charlestown again some time in the future or perhaps for the “Gathering” next year which promises to be a great year of special events all over Ireland.
Kind regards and many thanks for your kind and fair review.
Yours sincerely
Anthony kelly
Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
The Gateway Hotel
Cawleys Guest House
Cawleys Guest House
#2 of 7 in Tubbercurry
Durkin's Bar, Restaurant & Accomodation
Durkin's Bar, Restaurant & Accom...
#1 of 2 in Ballaghaderreen

Been to Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!