“Warm hospitality, good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlestown
Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Charlestown B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Warm hospitality, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012 via mobile

Visiting County Mayo to look up family roots. We stayed one night at the Riverside and were well looked after by the staff and Anthony the proprietor, who cooks an excellent breakfast and is a national prize winning chef. Good attention to guests, even when very busy. It is a B and B and readers should not expect the Ritz; the rooms are clean and comfortable and we slept well. Also got good local intelligence on the family roots which was much appreciated.

Stayed April 2012
Luvtotravel365, Owner at Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear AZandDZ
On behalf of myself and the team at Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse, Charlestown, Co. Mayo I would like to thank you very sincerely for taking time to post your kind comments on your recent stay. It is great to get a review from such a well travelled and active contributor to TripAdvisor because you are aware of the standards to expect. We are a 2 star guesthouse and as you rightly stated not a 5 star Hotel. We place strong emphasis and constantly strive to provide friendly, clean, comfortable and safe accommodation. Since your last stay I am delighted to inform you that we have redecorated almost all our rooms and in our recent hotel inspection by the national regulating body TAMS we increased our overall score by 10 points which shows our strategy of constant improvement is working. It was a pleasure dealing with you both and I enjoyed talking to you. I hope you have been able to contact your roots and that the contact email I gave you was helpful. One of our goals is to provide attentive and personal service to all our guests and should you need any further help with the contacts I gave you or any information,please do not hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to welcoming you back again to Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse, Charlestown, Co. Mayo. when you will perhaps meet up with those roots on your next visit.
Yours sincerely with warmest thanks
Chef/Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Boyle, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

hi my friend and i stayed here for 3 nights over St Patrick's Weekend.
we had a great stay. we were meeting with some friends from Charlestown for the weekend and wanted somewhere to stay. they recommended Riverside Restaurant and B&B to us.
when we arrived we were met a lovely friendly waitress and despite the restaurant being very busy at lunch time we were checked in and shown to our rooms very efficiently.
when we were checking in we were given a voucher for a complimentary Irish coffee as part of the restaurants St Patrick's Weekend special offer and we enjoyed this after our dinner in the restaurant that night.
our room was lovely and clean, warm and comfortable with a lovely view overlooking the river. we had travelled by bus and we were able to get a cooked breakfast early on the morning we were leaving.
the staff were friendly and helpful and i will definitely be back next year and will be recommending this place to my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Fermanagh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at the Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse for 2 nights. The location of the b&b is excellent. It is in the centre of Charlestown and we parked our car outside the front door although there is private parking to the rear aswel, it is nice to know that you can go away for the day and not need to worry about parking upon return.

Our room was nice,spacious,clean and comfortable. I slept very well and we were told by Mr.Kelly the owner himself at checkin that because we were staying the two nights that we could have a lie-in on the first morning as they serve breakfast in the restaurant all day. It is not very ofen that you meet the owner upon check-in,we felt that it was a nice touch and that our business was vey much appreciated. He also informed us that they were refurbishing a few rooms on the other end of the building but this did not effect us as work finished up by 6pm each evening. We were expecting bad weather,as always in Ireland but instead we got good weather and again Mr.kelly helped us in deciding what things to do and see.

The Breakfast included Chef Kelly's Homemade marmalade and soda bread, which i must say is the best soda bread I've ever had, he also wasn't afraid to share his recipe with us for the soda bread,he wrote it down for me and I will definately be trying this one day. Aparently Mr.Kelly is quite the accomplished chef and has represented his country on the interntaional stage, we had a delightful conversation with him about this while he served us our breakfast on the second morning. We also had an evening meal on our first night,I had the muscles marnier and my husband had the boxty burger, both delicious!!

I am flying from knock again in June and will definately stay at the riverside again.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian M
Mid West
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

The décor was tired to say the least – heavy markings on the paintwork etc.
The shower head was broken and there was a smell of burning as the water ran through it. The shower had not been cleaned i.e. large black hair in the tray which was quite visible.
The toilet seat had rusty hinges and were loose. However the bathroom did have an unusual design feature in that it also stored the wardrobe.
I had a really poor night’s sleep, the reasons for which are as follows; the bed linen had been washed in a detergent with a really strong smell. I felt like I was falling out of the bed all night and found out in the morning that there was a slope on the floor causing the bed to be 1 – 2 inches lower on one side!
The towels and facecloths were course to the touch.
The staff were friendly at check in but weren’t there when I was leaving. The chef served a nice breakfast but never asked as I was leaving about how I found the room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Thanx_12
Luvtotravel365, Owner at Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Thanx_12
On behalf of myself and the team at Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse, Charlestown, Co. Mayo I would like to thank you for taking time to post your comments on your recent stay. I am disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay and that your sleep was interrupted by an un level bed and overly scented washing detergent used on the sheets to clean them. I was unaware of this problem but thanks to you I will investigate and rectify the matter as necessary.
The fact that you found a hair in the shower is unacceptable and was an unfortunate lapse in our normally high standards for which I sincerely apologise. We have structured daily and weekly cleaning schedules in place in all areas of Riverside Restaurant and Guesthouse and our checklists normally ensure that this does not happen.

As regards the dated decor of the house, I believe this is a personal matter. Riverside Restaurant and Guesthouse is situated in a building that is almost 180 years old and we believe that it is important to have the decor in keeping with this. During your stay you may have been aware of renovations to our rooms in the back of the guesthouse. These rooms are now finished and the room you stayed in is being renovated as I write.
I know if you are passing this way again you will be pleasantly surprised with the changes.

I was delighted that you were met by friendly staff at check in and that you enjoyed a nice breakfast. Friendly staff are at the forefront of our success in Riverside Restaurant & Guesthouse.
I am the Chef Owner and I served you your early breakfast at 7.30 am as you were catching a flight from Knock International Airport situated just four miles from Riverside Restaurant and Guesthouse. I am sorry that you felt unable to tell me personally that morning about your experience with your room. I shall make a point together with all my staff in future to ask all departing customers how they enjoyed their stay, how they found their rooms and if everything was to their liking.
Thank you once again for your comments and you can be assured that all the issues that you have raised are being addressed.
Yours sincerely
Chef/ Owner
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

This place isn't the fanciest and the decor is dated to say the least, but I go out of my way to stop here for soup - so good! the chef obviously knows his stock and seasoning, this is proper food.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Luvtotravel365, Owner at Riverside Restaurant Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for you return business to Riverside, and especially thank you for your kind commets about the food. Delighted to hear you made and extra effort and travelled out of your way to visit us. It is always nice to get something nice and wholesome to eat when you are travelling. We make every effort to ensure that all our food tastes good and your encouragement is a great help. I have noted your helpful comments on the decor.
We look forward to welcoming you back again to Riverside in the future.
Warmest thanks,
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

Stayed here for one night, before catching early flight from Knock. Nice clean room, friendly staff and not too bad a price (40 euro single occupancy, room only). Didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on food, but as a stopover place it cannot be faulted. Oh..The Drop Inn just round the corner..really nice place and friendly landlord.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Very comfortable, friendly hotel with the best Irish breakfast and homemade Irish soda bread. Would love to go back soon.

Room Tip: We shared a large comfortable family room