We have just returned from a one week all-inclusive stay from 12th to 19th February. Upon arrival our first impressions of the hotel and grounds were impressive and we were welcomed with a drink and our check-in was reasonably quick.
Our room was a good size and had all the facilities that we were expecting. All pool areas were clean with plenty of sunbeds and our first meal in the Pembois buffet restaurant on our evening of arrival was very nice with a good choice of food. The complex also has two tennis courts which we took advantage of and were in good condition. We dined in the Kalina fine dining restaurant on two occasions and the food and service were excellent both times.
Now the not so good......like many other reviews there is a distinct problem with service at this hotel. Face towels were not replaced consistently in our room and on one occasion we had to contact reception twice to get this resolved. As all-inclusive guests we were issued with wristbands but this was not the same for other guests on the same package and many staff had no idea what they were intended for. We also had to sign a receipt for all meals/drinks (except breakfast) and despite indicating to staff that we were all-inclusive still got a chargeable bill on many occasions - most annoying when you have to wait for staff to correct this.
After our first evening meal the food and service (apart from in the Kalina) was exceptionally disappointing. Some staff appeared disinterested in taking food orders and generally looked glum. On one occasion in the Salaka Grill (our last meal before our departure) another group were served before us despite arriving after us - I then had to wait 45 minutes for a bowl of soup and was told this was because they serve food in line with when the order was taken!! The food in the Pembois buffet was average at best, in particular the breakfast choices hardly changed from one day to the next.
We have holidayed in the Caribbean previously and not experienced such poor service and regrettably it appears that despite previous reviews your staff training is not adequate. The hotel can be immaculate but all of this stands for nothing if service is poor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, TravelUp, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands