“Great stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely stay at Magdalena grand beach & Golf resort in tobago. As a golfer I really enjoyed the course and experience at the resort however,while we had wait for a table some times in the restaurant as it was really busy the staff were always helpful and tried to help. Special thanks to Kevin, Robyn,Hans and Hollis stars for sure.. Will return..no hole in one this trip
Great destination and island

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Neil,

It is indeed a pleasure to hear from you and to read about your wonderful stay at our resort. We are very proud of our team members and will be sure to pass your comments along to them.
We apologize for the wait in the restaurants, but you are correct, we were quiet busy during the period of your visit. Our guests are encouraged to make reservations to avoid waiting for a table.
We do hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Warmest regards until we meet again,
Magdalena Grand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Having stayed for 15 nights over Christmas 2013 and New Year 2014 I can honestly say my family's disappointment is paramount.
Great hotel, fabulous location (and if you like waves as my 14-year old son does, swimming in the sea was perfectly manageable). I cannot begin to tell you the amount of times we had to call to have our room serviced, to have the correct number of towels left in the bathroom (one evening it took 40 minutes for Housekeeping to deliver 1 towel). After 10 days I realised our bedding hadn't been changed - why on earth was I surprised. One maid rudely told my wife if she had towels she would give them to her. Flabbergasted and exasperated to say the least.
We all know and love Fawlty Towers, but it's no fun to pay a fraction short of £3000 and experience a total lack of customer service on a daily basis. If it wasn't so constant it would have been laughable. To reiterate other people's comments about Ricado, Michelle, Tony in the Pembois, Shaniqua and ZsaZsa - GREAT staff. Caroline was most helpful too. As the troubleshooter she certainly has her work cut out. But the Receptionists - they must learn to smile for goodness sake. First impressions are vital. The Christmas tree was Reception's crowning glory - I'm sure it should be its staff. The Salaka Grill - don't go if you're expecting to eat any time soon.
I've said enough - the hotel's inevitable response that it was at capacity just doesn't wash (along with the bedding!). Somebody needs to lead from the top, and the staff need training.
May it be sometime soon.

4 Thank farleyfamily
Dear Guest,

We wish to thank you for your comments. It is indeed unfortunate that your experience has been such an alarming one, however we assure you that this is not the usual service offered at the Magdalena Grand, we do apologize once again for the inconveniences caused.

As previously mentioned, the resort was operating at maximum capacity during the holidays and as a result of this we were faced with a few challenges. While we recognize that this is no excuse, it did pose a few unfortunate situations for us, and again, we would like to apologize for this.

We are pleased to advise that your comments have been noted and we have made the necessary improvements to our team and operations to allow us to be of better service to our guests.

We hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you again and to provide you with the true Magdalena Grand experience.

Warm wishes,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I just returned from 4 long days with my family of 5 from this hotel. It is BEAUTIFUL and that's where it ends. The view is spectacular from every room. The ocean breeze is lovely. The pool is nice. However, when I go on vacation, I want to be serviced. This hotel and all of it's workers looked at us like we were crazy when we asked for anything. 2 hours to wait for lunch by the pool is just not acceptable, especially when you have 3 hungry children. By the end our stay I was used to ordering lunch after we ended breakfast to assure we'd have lunch when the kids got hungry. We would have to goto the front desk to ask for pool towels, since the guy would come down mid morning when he felt like working and with minimal towels.
The rooms did not get cleaned very well and if we wanted to have new towels, we'd have to call the night before to assure we'd have towels by the morning. Again, not acceptable.
This hotel has NO washcloths-YUCK.

The food was not good and the kids friendly options everyday were hot dogs, fries, and COLD pizza- what person wants cold pizza and sodium filled foods every night for their kids?

For the price that you pay for this hotel, it's NOT worth it. You can't even swim in the ocean at this hotel - the water is too dangerous.

STAY somewhere where you'll get serviced people... a pretty view only wows you for what a minute??? TRUST me-i'm doing you a favor by writing this!!

9 Thank Sarah O
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay with us. During the holiday period the hotel was operating at maximum capacity which resulted in a few unfortunate circumstances. Our housekeeping team was in fact working quiet hard to ensure all the rooms were attended to in a timely manner. The hotel also provides washcloths for our guests, and we do believe these were brought to your room after our housekeeper forget them in error.

With regards to our kids menus, we do offer other items including various sandwiches (grilled cheese, peanut butter and jelly, etc), chicken fingers, pasta, hamburgers, to name a few. Our chefs are also more than happy to prepare specially requested meals. Kids can also dine from the main menus at 1/2 the cost, which offers a great variety.

We are pleased to advise that we have embarked on a training program with our team members and we have no doubts that you would see many improvements on your next visit with us.

We hope to be of service in the near future.

Warmest regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The staff seems to spend a lot of time making excuses. Travelers note: the hotel is on the Atlantic, no matter what time of year you go you will NOT be able to swim in the ocean.

We were there for 3 nights and I can't even begin to list the challenges we had. Somethings I could have looked past but for the love of god having to leave my room to find clean towels after numerous phone calls is inexcusable. I've been in the hospitality industry for over 12 years, I've worked in hotels. There are no excuses for the slow/poor service. The hotel knows it's occupancy long before you arrive. A good hotel staffs as needed. They don't use the lame "it's the holiday season" excuse. The holidays happen the same date every year!

I feel there is a top down issue. Poor GM who's a figure head and not a leader (he dose cut quite a dashing figure). You've got some people in the middle such as Hollis and Ricardo who try their best to mitigate things, Stephanie the bartender was a love. But they only have so much power. The service issues are from lack of training and understanding things from a customer perspective. It took 90 min to get food and I ordered soup. I'm not sure if it was good or I was just so hungry cardboard would have been tasty.

I found out the government had to buy into the hotel to keep it from going under. They've had 3 management companies in the last 10 years. The only thing keeping them failing is lack of competition.

I'm wondering if they have friends post reviews for them. No guest at the bar, pool or restaurant had anything good to say.

My group was beyond exasperated. The hotel ended up comping our dinners and giving us one night free.

It truly breaks my heart to give them such a scathing review. The potential is there. But if you want to play in the same park as the Ritz or Four Seasons; bring your A game and not your excuses.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. It's not worth the money.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank beantownchick
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and review.

Although the resort is on the Atlantic side of the island, the ocean changes based on the season and becomes calmer duirng the mid-months of the year and is quiet enjoyable and bathable for our guests. December is in fact one of the roughest times for the ocean.
To give our guests the best of both worlds we also offer a complimentary shuttle service to Pigeon Point Beach year around. The shuttle leaves twice daily and returns twice daily.

While we acknowledge that it is no excuse, the hotel was in fact operating at full capacity and as a result we were faced with certain unexpected challenges. While the holidays come every year, this was our first busy December since we opened in June 2012. Our management team has since reviewed our operations and improvements have been made to better accommodate our guests.

Please note that the resort has not changed management companies 3 times, but rather, it previously operated as the Hilton Tobago, then was taken over by Vanguard before closing it closed for 3 years. The Government decided to invest in this property and re-opened as Magdalena Grand, not to keep it from going under as stated, but to bring a new element to Tobago. The Magdalena Grand has no connections with the previous hotel that operated on this property.

It is ashamed that after our team provided assistance your group and did everything possible to make your group more comfortable and offered compensation for the challenges experienced that such a review was posted. We do appreciate your comments and hope that we would have the opportunity to be of service to you again.

Warm wishes,
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having just returned from Tobago with my family of five I wanted to share input on this hotel. I do not normally bother but the lack of any kind of real service has driven me to do this. It is a great pity since the location and setting is fabulous and there does seem on the whole a wish to get it right but the organisation from the top seems to be a disaster. Issues never really get resolved and waiting 2 hours (including several reminders to get a meal is simply not right. I appreciate that one needs to be slightly more relaxed about these things in the beautiful West Indies but the service here , specially at the pool restaurant takes it to a whole new level - the service there is so bad it is pretty much non existent. The manager seemed to wonder round aimlessly and never really sorted anything out - perhaps he was but it really never seemed apparent. My son also got electrocute ( not badly but enough to give him a nasty jolt ) on a broken light by the pool - it did seem to get fixed but was not entered in to any kind of log book so difficult to understand how they can improve safety if management never really get told anything. We were told that one of there big issues was that they were so full ( 100% capacity ) that they just could not cope but all the staff to customer ratios seemed to be fine , approximately 1:6 in most of bars / restaurants.

1 Thank Ben A
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Ben,

Thank you for your review.

It is indeed unfortunate that your experience was not a reflection of the quality service that is customary at the Magdalena Grand Beach and Golf Resort.
We do apologize for the inconveniences caused. While we do understand that it is not an excuse on our part, the resort was in fact operating at full capacity during the very busy Christmas period, and as a result of this there were a few enevitable circumstances which occurred due to the high occupancy levels.

Generally issues such as the broken light, and other customer complaints, are entered into a log book as this is the only way we can be sure to track these issues and ensure they are amended in a timely manner. Since the light was in fact fixed, we wish to assure you that our management team was informed of the situation.

Our team have certainly took note of your feedback and have begun to make every effort to improve on our services to our guests.

We do hope that we would have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and to provide you with the quality of service deserved.

Warm wishes from Tobago,
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I must say the vibe of Magdalena is so relaxing! I spent my honeymoon there in June 2013. I am from the sister isle Trinidad. The service was great! The food was great! The ambiance is so lovely. The pools were nice. I was just away from all the busy life.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Krystal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
It was an absolute pleasure to be of service and we hope to welcome you back on the many anniversaries to come.

Warmest regards,
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The hotel has everything going for it. Great location, with great views from any vantage point of the hotel. Great golf course. A variety of activities and dining options. But oh, the service could be a tad better. There were some exceptions, but overall, the service left a lot to be desired and would be the main reason the hotel did not get a higher overall rating from me. Still, I did enjoy my stay and with some improvements in service, this is a must for any traveller.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bunny28
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback.

During the month of December the hotel was operating at maximum capacity, and as a result of the high occupancy levels, some of our areas with regards to service proved to be challenging. However, we are pleased to advise that we have reviewed our strategies and have improved same to be of better service to our guests.

We do hope that you would give us another opportunity to be of service and to provide you with a truly memorable experience.

Warm wishes from Tobago,
Magdalena Grand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!