“Relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I could not have chosen a nicer place for a little R&R. The rooms were comfortable, the food was great and the view... WOW... There is a Jazz singer on Sunday night who is excellent. I am looking forward to another relaxing and enjoyable stay again soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Judy H
Rachael N, Director of Sales at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Judy,

It is always wonderful to hear of our guests' experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you to our side of paradise in the near future.

Sunny wishes from Tobago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
west indies
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

this location is ideal if you want seclusion and really wanna get away on arrival we were treated like friends the buggy ride to our room was exciting ,we got complementary bottle of champagne
the room was comfortable and homey .breakfast was great had a lot of variety take it from me after breakfast you don't need lunch The staff was very friendly and if you don't feel to walk around the hotel a buggy ride is but a call away, the only draw back is that there is no beach bathing at the hotel location but the pool is great and they provide transport to a local beach if you desire so you get a hideaway and a tour if you desire i will definitely go again soon

Room Tip: all are good
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joeyloose
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on our page. It is always wonderful to hear from our past guests. We're sorry that you did not get a chance to experience our beach. Although we are on the Atlantic Coast, which means the water may be a little wavier on this side, we are happy that we offer a complimentary shutle service to Pigeon Point Beach, which is on the Caribbean side of the island.

We would be sure to have your buggy ride ready for your next arrival!

Warm regards from Tobago!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon and this is an excellent place. Probably the best on Tobago.
Positives: 1- Rooms were amazing with excellent facilities and very well designed so that when on your balcony all the rooms feel like private corner rooms
2- Pool is actually larger then in most of the photos and the swim up bar is fantastic
3- There is a small shop selling snacks and soft drinks at a much cheaper rate then in the hotel itself so you are not constantly forced to pay high prices
4- We were given a complimentary bottle of asti on arrival and some sweets
5- Staff in general were excellent. Sometimes they seemed a little unhurried, but I put that down to the overall Caribbean vibe rather then hold it against them
6- Value for money
7- Decent location on the island being near to Crown point (restaurants) and Pigeon point (key tourist beach)
8- Good entertainment on the Friday night in the bar with quite a local feel
9- Quality of the food was excellent and the bar food was a great value option
10- Free shuttle to pigeon point twice daily (however the driver forgot about us coming back! He was meant to pick us up and a German woman and all of us had told him 2pm pick up, however by 2.30 we ended up getting a taxi back)
11- Place is spotlessly clean
Negatives: 1- Buffet in the evening was crazily expensive
2- The resort complex is so large its almost impossible to walk out to anything in the surrounding area. You need to take a taxi, rent a car, etc

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stephen E
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our page.

We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Warm regards from Tobago!
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I attended the 25th Annual SUNSHINE awards Ball at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort in Tobago. I should also comment that I travel all over the Caribbean and each time I travel I stay at a hotel. When I stayed at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort, I observed every one on staff placing great emphasis on warm and friendly "customer satisfaction". The staff was accommodating and one can describe their smile as " your wish is my command". I enjoyed my stay and plan to be back - soon - to be pampered again.

GTF - New Jersey USA

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our page. It is always a pleasure to hear from our past guests. Thank you for your kind compliments on our services and staff members. We are quiet proud of our team and I know we would all enjoy welcoming you soon again to our side of paradise.

Warm and sunny wishes from Tobago.
Shefford, Bedfordshire. UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Being a wheelchair user, I always experience anxiety about how the unknown environment will affect my mobility, so it was with some trepidation that I booked this hotel. However, my anxiety was unfounded as it was easy to navigate around the hotel, and all the staff cheerfully displayed the utmost courtesy and respect, whilst offering outstanding service at all times. I would go as far to say that the staff actually made my holiday - so thank you all for an amazing holiday experience! Queries and maintenance request were dealt with efficiently. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the water is potable. I was also impressed by the use of 'golf buggies' to transport guests and their luggage/mobility equipment to their accommodation, and our request for this assistance on our last day proved vital for me as a wheelchair-user, since it is impossible to manage luggage and wheel around at the same time! Again, many thanks for your consideration.

It was refreshing to note that the management actually worked alongside their staff, and they regularly made contact with the guests to find out how their holiday experience might be improved. Robyn, the Assistant Manageress, was exceptional in personally meeting our specific request one evening, which was delivered on time, as promised. She was kind enough to check with us that our evening had been a memorable one . Thank you for caring, Robyn. Meeting you and your staff proved to be such a positive experience for me - far removed from the 'invisibility' or abuse I commonly experience as a wheelchair-user in the UK! Please pass my comments on to your staff - they deserve to know how well they are doing and how much I appreciated their cheerful, kindly disposition. Your TripAdvisor award is well-deserved.

Most of the hotel is accessible, and there are lifts or ramps to other areas, including the main lobby/reception area and restaurants. I cannot comment on the availability of wheelchair accessible rooms, since I did not request one. The entrance to my one-bedroom, ground floor suite was wide enough to accommodate my wheelchair and there was ample space inside the suite to move around. The bathroom in the suite came complete with both a low level bathtub and a shower, which allowed for my hygiene needs to be met. Access to the Jacuzzi for myself (as a person with poor balance and restricted mobility) was more complicated, since it involved negotiating 3 steps (handrails provided). The Jacuzzi area was partially screened by foliage, but provision of a mobile screen for the ground- floor suites would provide greater privacy, particularly in the evenings. It was wonderful to wake-up each morning to a sea view. There were several pools to choose from, although I found access difficult due to the deep steps (and it would have been impossible without a great deal of assistance from my husband). I believe that full-time wheelchair users would find these areas inaccessible. There was adequate provision of sun loungers around the main pool (towels provided), and there are shaded areas for those trying to avoid the sun!

The hotel arranges taxis to Crowne Point on request. I did not use this service, opting to remain in the hotel for all meals (with the exception of booked excursions). There is a themed buffet each evening, which we tried twice during our stay. The buffet proved to be the only source of dissatisfaction throughout our stay. It was rather expensive, and our experience was of food that was meant to be hot was at best only tepid. We ate lunch at the Salaka Grill (sharing the large portions), and at the Robinson Crusoe pub in the evenings (food freshly cooked to order, although somewhat restricted menu choices apply- i.e. 'chips with everything'). How I longed for healthy meals on my return home!

Access to the beach is difficult in a wheelchair. There are many large rocks to negotiate and, (during our visits), large piles of debris scattered along the length of the beach. I suggested that a boardwalk would improve access for all, by bridging the uneven area between the perimeter of the hotel and the beach. The beach itself is fairly flat, although the aggressive Atlantic waves suck the sand away from underfoot. Regardless, I much preferred the Atlantic roar to the calm of the Caribbean Sea

Overall, we had a wonderful time at the Magdalena Grand. Would we return in the future? The answer is without doubt, based on this totally relaxing experience, an unresounding 'YES'!!

Room Tip: Upper floor one-bedroom suites might provide greater privacy when using the Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen3108
Dear Karen,

Reading your review was such a joy. We are happy that we were able to put your anxieties to rest and to provide you with a wonderfully accessable vacation.

Please note for your next visit that accessable rooms are also available should you prefer.

Feel free to let us know of your return and we would be delighted to ensure your experience is even more memorable.

Warm wishes.
New Milton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Enjoyed this hotel and it's location. Food was of a good standard albeit prices were a little on the high side. The reason for 4 stars and not 5 is because of our disappointment at the attitude of many of the staff which we found rather surly at times and lacking smiles and general charisma.Being in a country famed for it's cheery approach to life we thought that everyone would be smiling and helpful. Our disatisfaction culminated in making a complaint which was listened to by the Manager and dealt with sympathetically. Significantly we found during the course of the last 2 days of our holiday that most of the satff were smiling and asking if everything was alright and generally showing an attitude and customer service which rather proved our point.
My son-in-law and I played golf at the Plantations Golf Course arranged through the hotel reception and found the course needed some TLC to bring it up to a standard than would be complimentary to the quality of the hotel. I must say that I am not used to losing golf balls in the fairway!!!
Overall our holiday was much enjoyed as the weather allowed us ample opportunity to enjoy the swimming pools and strolls along the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

We always appreciate it when guests take time our of their busy schedules to share with us and the rest of the world their experience at our resort.

As a golfer you would appreciate that the golf course has been taken over by the resort and is currently undergoing refurbishments and renovations which will definitely offer you a new and wonderful experience on your next return.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Warm regards.
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Visited the Magdalena Grand between 11th-18th September. I must admit I had read months & months of reviews to get a feel of what we were to encounter. Staff attitudes came up frequently from these reviews and I was a little concerned. I can only speak as I find and I did not experience anything but courteous & friendly staff attitudes. Hopefully this is something that will continue to progress. To name a few, we had problems logging onto the Wi-fi and keeping the signal. Jaleel was able to sort this promptly and showed the best way to use the Wi-fi service. Sameel, Charlene & Ricardo at reception, all deserve a mention. Whatever our request this was dealt with professionalism and a smile. Also Ricardo who works in the food & beverage team and by the grill pool bar. What a lovely young man, who likes to interact with his guests, and clearly loves to help with the baby turtles that kept hatching all week.

After the 2nd night, one of the hotel managers Joerg W, called our suite to check that we were comfortable & that we had everything we needed, which we felt was a nice touch. As we were on a bed and breakfast basis only, I can only comment on the breakfast. There was an abundance of food to suit all tastes/requirements. Omelette station a real tasty treat. Breakfast was busy at weekends but didn’t need to queue at any point. As in previous reviews
‘birds at breakfast’ had been mentioned. Yes we did sit outside, but we also noticed guests leave their unfinished plates of food on the tables and walk off!!!!.
This in turn encourages the birds, we simply took our plates inside once finished, maybe a note on the outside tables to ask guests to kindly take their plates to a designated area inside. On the chairs at breakfast ‘bird poo’ was clearly visible, so hotel do need to address this by regular cleaning. However the rest hotel and the grounds itself are kept clean to a high level.

When we arrived we noticed there was an issue with the all the swimming pool’s, the first few days it was green as not particularly welcoming. I addressed this with Ricardo at reception who in turn got the engineers to look at this and there was an improvement after 24 hours.
(Green pool had been addressed in a different review)

Also plenty of sunbeds as hotel not at full occupancy. Hotel offers a free shuttle service to Pigeon Point at 9am & 11am, returning 2pm & 4pm, which is great. There are two beaches at the hotel, one to the left of the swimming pool & other to the right. The sea was rough some of the time, other days we could swim no problem. The beach to the right is a major turtle nesting area which is something quite special. The hotel should promote this a little more as this is one of the only hotels on the island where guests have the opportunity to see them hatch only metres away from their room. GianCarlo from SOS Tobago www.sos-tobago.org checks them nearly every day and will provide talks on the Hawksbill turtle. They receive no government assistance and if you help/watch excavate them, a small donation is greatly appreciated to the worlds declining numbers. Filter lighting needs to be looked at along the paths on the nesting beach as turtles naturally follow the light (thinking it is the moon), however one evening we found ourselves sitting in the bar area and near guest balcony’s we could see baby turtles crawling towards us in the wrong direction and not out to the ocean.
Ricardo & us collected around 50 baby turtles in a box which were all over the grass by this point. Hotel could put a note in the rooms, asking people to turn there balcony lights OFF. Hotel could look at changing lighting in this area to protect the turtles.
The hotel could really benefit from regular cleaning/litter picking to the right hand side beach. Quite a bit of rubbish gets washed ashore and I believe this is important for the baby turtles and also the general appearance. Let’s make the beach a selling point too.

The location of the hotel can be remote, if you are on all inclusive then you don’t need to really go out, however not being all inclusive type, we tried many of the beautiful local restaurants for really cheap prices. The Magdalena taxi’s are very expensive which is why we have a friend in Tobago who is a taxi drive and will drive you wherever you need to go and he did this for us every day and took us to dinner.
If you would like someone reliable call or text Roy on +1 868 478 3703.

Bicycles are also free to hire if you wish to cycle around the local grounds. 6 of us wanted to go out together, there were around 7-8 in the bike rack, only 2/3 were working. They appeared a little tired, with bald tyres and wonky pedals. So a bit of investment in this area would beneficial.

We would definitely return to the hotel again and during this stay I was assisting writing an article for a travel magazine. The weather during our week wasn’t that brilliant, during the days it rained, the hotel still try and entertain and provide indoor games in the bar. They also provide evening entertainment. Concierge also very helpful, booking restaurants for us in the evening and providing maps and info on Tobago. The Magdalena grand has the foundations of something special as is a place of natural beauty. I hope they continue to maintain standards and they will no doubt generate returning guests. As far as I'm concerned they only have minor aspects to work on.
We also paid a visit to Coco Reef hotel, although this on the Caribbean side of the island, the Magdalena is streets ahead especially after its redevelopment.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zamboni81
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on our page. We understand that you read many reviews of our resort before making your final choice and we appreciate that. Your detailed response will assist another potential guest in their selection. We have also noted all your comments which will help us to improve our service to you.

We are quiet proud of our staff members and thank you for taking the time to mention a few of them. I will be sure to pass along your reviews.

Tobago certainly is a place of natural beauty and we are always delighted when our guests have an opportunity to experience this.

We look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Warm regards from sunny Tobago.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!