We arrived at the hotel by taxi and weren't disappointed! Nice drive of golf course & grounds leading up to the main hotel building. Check in was quick & efficient and being greeted with a hot towel & refreshing cocktail was a nice touch! The bell boy who helped us to our room (Avalon) was polite & knowledgable telling us about Tobago & the hotel. We were in room 240 which was on the first floor. Nice & spacious room with all the amenities that you need, fridge, safe, iron, hair dryer, tea/coffee making facilities. Tv with some English speaking cable channels, reception was slow and it tended to freeze on occasion. Bathroom was nice, clean & large with bath and a separate shower. Our toilet when flushed sometimes got stuck and you had to ensure the handle was put back up, apart from that no complaints at all. We had a great view of the ocean and you could see it while lying in bed which was lovely! Balcony was lovely & had table & chairs and was great to watch sunset with a cocktail.
3 pools, main one in the centre which was near the bar & restaurants, was the busiest, the water was clean but think it could do with being repainted especially by the swim up bar area. There are 2 "satellite" pools one on each side of the main one. We spent most of our time at the smaller pools as they were extremely quiet (it was pretty much like we had our own private pool - divine)! The beach was ok to walk along, quite a bit of debris and could benefit from a but of a clean. We read on tripadvisor that the sea was rough and it was a bit, but we still saw plenty of people in the sea. Loungers, POD's and rattan beds were comfortable and available at all times.
We stayed on an all inc basis and it was great value. The cocktails were great, piña coladas were our particular fave on an afternoon at the pool bar. Breakfast was lovely with lots to choose from, I'm always a sucker for omelettes, I'd give them a 7 out of 10. Lunch in the Pembois restaurant (made to order for lunch) (main restaurant - buffet in evenings) went a couple of times found it to be very nice! The staff are lovely and friendly! Lunch at the grill restaurant was always good & large portions! Staff here were a little more laid back. The pool bar tended by Kevin & Lennox was great! They were super efficient & polite, a great credit! When they weren't on duty the service wasn't as top notch, but still not terrible. The evening buffet at Pembois was good and there was always a lot of choice, lots of fresh food & local dishes, great, no chips in sight! I'm a bit of a chocoholic so there wasn't enough selection of desserts for me, but hey ho it saved me a few calories! Two visits to the fine dining restaurant was included, one of which we went to for my birthday & we got a bottle of prosecco with compliments. The options were good we thoroughly enjoyed the first time however on the second visit I think we chose the wrong things! The staff were amazing tho especially Emmanuel! Robinson Crusoe pub served food (just 6 things i think, we didn't sample any) drinks good & different cocktails available! The cocktail bar was always pretty empty apart from Sunday night when it comes alive with a local jazz band! Was a great night, Sonja & team were great!
Free Wi-Fi at the hotel was a nice touch. We got the free shuttle to pigeon point which was nice, from there you can go on various trips etc Nylon Pool, Buccoo Reef etc. Walked around the grounds.
It was all in all a lovely relaxing week away with nice surroundings, good food & drink! It was a nice quiet resort, busier over the weekend. We'd definitely recommend it!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands