“Nice getaway”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Trinidad
“Nice getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is my third stay here and three times the charm. Clean rooms, friendly personnel and the food is good. Although the pool has a great layout it's not as clean as I've seen it in the past, it needs a good scrub down especially the pool floor, LoL. The scenery from your room is calm and peaceful and btw, every room has an ocean view ;).
I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Upper floors give you a better ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicholasTee
Howard S, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you we were delighted to host you for your third visit. Please be assured that the issue with the pool has been resolved and thank you for pointing that out. Hurry back for Visit #4!
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have just returned following a two week stay at The Magdalena. This hotel is in a beautiful location with wonderful sea views from all of the rooms. Our room on the first floor was lovely and clean (as was the whole hotel), the staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was MAGNIFICENT in all restaurants, the entertainment in Tavaco was excellent on the two Sundays we were there and the bar staff were all lovely and friendly. The pool attendants should not be forgotten either - in fact we cannot say enough about our entire stay.

We would like to thank all the staff for a lovely holiday but special mentions for the following:

Hans (Tavaco) who apart from being a really good bar man is entertaining and lovely to talk to, Tamika, Zsa-Zsa, Stephanie and Sonya (Robinson Crusoes),
Kessa and Lennox (Salaka)
Caren, Victoria and Desreen (Pembois)
All the chefs and cooks for the fabulous food which was always beautifully presented
The Reception staff

We would like to wish all staff every success and hope you continue to provide a wonderful haven for visitors

Room Tip: North wing is quieter than south wing(away from generator and staff entrance)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cazlikestotravel
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. Our team will enjoy reading this, do hope we can welcome you back very soon.
Best wishes from the Magdalena famly
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We only had time for a couple of days at the Magdalena but its was time well spent. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, if a little bland. The setting is magnificent; you can look across the bay whilst having breakfast and watch pelicans feeding at the same time. The bay itself is no typical well groomed caribbean beach, but more rugged and interesting. However, the overwhelming plus is the quality of the staff. All those we came in contact with were not just efficient but friendly without being overly so. We're picking out Caren and Sharron, two of our waitreses at breakfast as well as Lennox at the poolside bar only because we rather laggardly started to make mental notes with a view to writing this review. All of the rooms we saw give out over the beach, though the first floor ones have better views. There's access to a private golf course, which we didn't use, but we really enjoyed the excellent jazz evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Howard S, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, we do appreciate your taking the time and in particular the recognition of our staff who make us the hotel we are. Hope you can spend longer next trip.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

My brothers and I stayed at the Magdalena Grand in April 2013. The accomodations were nice, the grounds of the hotel was nice... we especially enjoyed the pool overlooking the ocean. The full breakfast was great. The staff and service was awesome! I would definitly recommend going there if you're in Tobago. If you need help booking contact me at gobyebyetoday@gmail.com. As a travel agent I spend time at many resorts, this one was nice and comfortable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
It is always a pleasure to hear from our travel partners, thank you for your kind words. Please let us know if you have clients staying with us so we can recognise them on your behalf.
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from this hotel after a short vacation and I have to say that it was certainly memorable. The staff was helpful, the room was comfortable and well kept, the environment was peaceful and the food was awesome. A perfect getaway from our usually busy life. We especially enjoyed the live entertainment on Sunday night. Checking in and checking out fast and easy. The hotel is spacious and there is always something to do. The view from my bedroom was amazing. I will defintely return to this hotel when next im visiting tobago and I highly recommend this hotel for any occasion.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we are certainly glad you were able to relax and rejuvenate while you visited us from Trinidad. Time out is so important in our busy lives. We hope you will be with us again very soon.
Leeds, West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in September 2012. We booked the trip via a Travelzoo deal from Golden Holidays. We stayed on a B&B basis in an Ocean View Room.

This was our first trip to the Caribbean and we chose Tobago partly because of the deal we saw but also the island appealed to us as it has fewer tourists than some of the other Caribbean Islands.

The Magdalena had recently undergone a massive refurbishment and you could see that in some areas this was still ongoing. The lobby area is bright and airy and has a fantastic view out to the Atlantic Ocean. We were welcomed with cool drinks which was great as we had been delayed on our flight across and we were exhausted.

Check in was fine and we were taken to our room. The room was fantastic - massive, very comfy bed, TV, hard-wire wifi access, en suite bathroom stocked with towels and robes, we had our own fridge in the room which was essential for cool water for during the night and keeping beers cool! Coffee and tea making facilities were available and an ice bucket with ice machines in the corridors.

We had a balcony that looked out across a lawn with palm trees and a great view to the sea. The glass was sound proof so no noise but you can hear the gentle sound of the waves if you open the doors. One tip for the room, there was a small window just next to the bed on the right hand side that had wooden slats that you opened and closed to let in or shut out light. Ours didn't close properly and there is a night light on in the corridor at night that let light leech into the room, This may not bother some but it bothered me and so I had to hang a coat over it to make sure it was dark.

We went on a B&B basis and breakfast was served down on the patio near the pool. Imagine eating in the cool sea breeze and glorious sunshine! Breakfast was buffet style so a hot plate with cooked food, cold meats, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, tea, every thing you could want. It was waitress service for the tea/coffee and the staff were on the most friendly, some could be a bit sullen on occasion.

We loved the pool area and spent quite a bit of time there reading, swimming etc. One thing to note about the pool is that it is textured concrete on the bottom which means it can cut easily. My husband grazed his chest diving down to get something off the bottom and I grazed my foot too. The pool is not supervised so be careful with children.

The pool is right next to the beach so you can laze around and look out to the horizon but the sea is very strong on this side of the island so a bit too rough for my liking but we saw lots of people swimming there. There is always wind too but this is refreshing and helps to keep you cool, it also keeps insects down.

There is a swim up bar and a pool side restaurant that serves drinks and food through the day. If you are on an all-inclusive deal then this must be fabulous but we found things very expensive on a B&B basis. E.g. 40TT for a fruit juice cocktail which is about £4. About £25 for lunch of wrap sandwich & chips with a soft drink. Also limited veggie choices and the buffet meal in the evening is $25US per person which is fine for carnivores but expensive for a veggie who can only have one main dish.

The hotel is set in massive grounds with a golf course so no where to go on foot for food or drink that don't cost hotel prices. You can get taxis into Crown Point which we did on a few occasions but you are talking about $40US for the round trip. There is a supermarket in Caanan which the shuttle bus driver for Pidgeon Point (which is free BTW) will drop you at and pick up from to get some food, snacks and drinks if you don;t want to pay hotel prices.

Veggie Friendly restaurants we found were Kariwak Village - superb and decent value - and La Tartaruga in Buccoo - ok but a bit lacking in Veggie choice.

The Benne cafe was great and has wonderful aircon for a bit of respite from the heat. Good coffee/tea and cakes but again be prepared to pay.

We booked a few trips from the hotel, the travel agent was very helpful. We did the CocoMotion boat trip up the Caribbean coast visiting the nylon pool, buccoo reef, and another bay up the coast that I can't remember the name of! We also went mountain biking with Sean De Freitas of Mountain Biking Tobago which is a great way to see areas of the island you can't get to by car plus you go up to one of the waterfalls for a dip!

Pigeon Point is a beach area on the Caribbean side of the island great for sunbathing but very popular so gets busy. Also lots of bars and restaurants and tour guides touting for business. We went one day, had a good time but found it too hot to spend too many days there. Great for people who want a bit more of a party atmosphere.

For anyone after gluten free/organic food then Morshead supermarket sells bread and other organic produce but it is a car or taxi ride away from the hotel. We walked but it took us hours in the hot sun, not advisable without lots of water!

Grumbles - when you check in they take a swipe of your credit card - fairly routine. But what they don;t tell you is that when you get over $300US they send you a message to come and pay your bill to date and then open up another line of credit with the hotel. Personally, I found this insulting for a 4+ star hotel who has my credit card details and so could easily bill me on departure. I have been places before where they tell you the amount you have spent if they feel it is getting high - again acceptable - but you pay at the end. Now, I am aware this is a personal thing and not everyone would feel the same way and it does not change my opinion of the hotel, I would still go back, but I would have liked to have known in advance that this was how it worked. I saw the hotel manager about it, who listened and understood my feelings and arranged for us to settle everything at the end.

As I have read the review back, I can see that cost has been mentioned a few times. I think the cheap deal to get there made us think that the holiday would be cheap overall and we forgot we were staying in a 4 star hotel and the prices this attracts. But I guess forewarned is forearmed.

I think this hotel is great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We would definitely go back but I fear the prices have gone up to a level now that may be beyond our budget, now that the hotel is up and running again after the refurbishment.

Room Tip: Ocean View room all the way!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Howard S, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your very detailed report which is of great value to us and also future guests. Some of your points are already a topic of discussion here since your review came out at the weekend. Again my thanks and I do hope we see you again in Tobago, am sure our prices are similar. Your travel agent can advise you there.
Best regards,
San Diego CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I enjoyed a one night stay to see what Tobago was all about. Glad I did. It was only $24US to fly over - a bargain!! This hotel sits out and away from others so is a bit quieter but it does mean a taxi ride to do some things. Not a problem man. The hotel is long in breadth as there is apparently a 3 floor limit. If you are on the ends, it is a long walk..but then again they have golf carts to whisk you around. The pool is nice and I enjoyed the swim up bar. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only real down side was the beach. It is right there in front of you but they go to great lengths to discourage its use due to currents. Rather - they bus you over to another beach. Odd. We chose to eat off property so I cannot comment on food except for the included breakfast. Very nice. The waitress had a squirt gun to keep the birds away. Very cool.

Room Tip: Close the curtains before you go to bed!!!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. Hope we can host you again in the future.
Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!