“A spring Get away”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My brothers and I stayed at the Magdalena Grand in April 2013. The accomodations were nice, the grounds of the hotel was nice... we especially enjoyed the pool overlooking the ocean. The full breakfast was great. The staff and service was awesome! I would definitly recommend going there if you're in Tobago. If you need help booking contact me at gobyebyetoday@gmail.com. As a travel agent I spend time at many resorts, this one was nice and comfortable!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Howard S, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

It is always a pleasure to hear from our travel partners, thank you for your kind words. Please let us know if you have clients staying with us so we can recognise them on your behalf.
Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from this hotel after a short vacation and I have to say that it was certainly memorable. The staff was helpful, the room was comfortable and well kept, the environment was peaceful and the food was awesome. A perfect getaway from our usually busy life. We especially enjoyed the live entertainment on Sunday night. Checking in and checking out fast and easy. The hotel is spacious and there is always something to do. The view from my bedroom was amazing. I will defintely return to this hotel when next im visiting tobago and I highly recommend this hotel for any occasion.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we are certainly glad you were able to relax and rejuvenate while you visited us from Trinidad. Time out is so important in our busy lives. We hope you will be with us again very soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week in September 2012. We booked the trip via a Travelzoo deal from Golden Holidays. We stayed on a B&B basis in an Ocean View Room.

This was our first trip to the Caribbean and we chose Tobago partly because of the deal we saw but also the island appealed to us as it has fewer tourists than some of the other Caribbean Islands.

The Magdalena had recently undergone a massive refurbishment and you could see that in some areas this was still ongoing. The lobby area is bright and airy and has a fantastic view out to the Atlantic Ocean. We were welcomed with cool drinks which was great as we had been delayed on our flight across and we were exhausted.

Check in was fine and we were taken to our room. The room was fantastic - massive, very comfy bed, TV, hard-wire wifi access, en suite bathroom stocked with towels and robes, we had our own fridge in the room which was essential for cool water for during the night and keeping beers cool! Coffee and tea making facilities were available and an ice bucket with ice machines in the corridors.

We had a balcony that looked out across a lawn with palm trees and a great view to the sea. The glass was sound proof so no noise but you can hear the gentle sound of the waves if you open the doors. One tip for the room, there was a small window just next to the bed on the right hand side that had wooden slats that you opened and closed to let in or shut out light. Ours didn't close properly and there is a night light on in the corridor at night that let light leech into the room, This may not bother some but it bothered me and so I had to hang a coat over it to make sure it was dark.

We went on a B&B basis and breakfast was served down on the patio near the pool. Imagine eating in the cool sea breeze and glorious sunshine! Breakfast was buffet style so a hot plate with cooked food, cold meats, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, tea, every thing you could want. It was waitress service for the tea/coffee and the staff were on the most friendly, some could be a bit sullen on occasion.

We loved the pool area and spent quite a bit of time there reading, swimming etc. One thing to note about the pool is that it is textured concrete on the bottom which means it can cut easily. My husband grazed his chest diving down to get something off the bottom and I grazed my foot too. The pool is not supervised so be careful with children.

The pool is right next to the beach so you can laze around and look out to the horizon but the sea is very strong on this side of the island so a bit too rough for my liking but we saw lots of people swimming there. There is always wind too but this is refreshing and helps to keep you cool, it also keeps insects down.

There is a swim up bar and a pool side restaurant that serves drinks and food through the day. If you are on an all-inclusive deal then this must be fabulous but we found things very expensive on a B&B basis. E.g. 40TT for a fruit juice cocktail which is about £4. About £25 for lunch of wrap sandwich & chips with a soft drink. Also limited veggie choices and the buffet meal in the evening is $25US per person which is fine for carnivores but expensive for a veggie who can only have one main dish.

The hotel is set in massive grounds with a golf course so no where to go on foot for food or drink that don't cost hotel prices. You can get taxis into Crown Point which we did on a few occasions but you are talking about $40US for the round trip. There is a supermarket in Caanan which the shuttle bus driver for Pidgeon Point (which is free BTW) will drop you at and pick up from to get some food, snacks and drinks if you don;t want to pay hotel prices.

Veggie Friendly restaurants we found were Kariwak Village - superb and decent value - and La Tartaruga in Buccoo - ok but a bit lacking in Veggie choice.

The Benne cafe was great and has wonderful aircon for a bit of respite from the heat. Good coffee/tea and cakes but again be prepared to pay.

We booked a few trips from the hotel, the travel agent was very helpful. We did the CocoMotion boat trip up the Caribbean coast visiting the nylon pool, buccoo reef, and another bay up the coast that I can't remember the name of! We also went mountain biking with Sean De Freitas of Mountain Biking Tobago which is a great way to see areas of the island you can't get to by car plus you go up to one of the waterfalls for a dip!

Pigeon Point is a beach area on the Caribbean side of the island great for sunbathing but very popular so gets busy. Also lots of bars and restaurants and tour guides touting for business. We went one day, had a good time but found it too hot to spend too many days there. Great for people who want a bit more of a party atmosphere.

For anyone after gluten free/organic food then Morshead supermarket sells bread and other organic produce but it is a car or taxi ride away from the hotel. We walked but it took us hours in the hot sun, not advisable without lots of water!

Grumbles - when you check in they take a swipe of your credit card - fairly routine. But what they don;t tell you is that when you get over $300US they send you a message to come and pay your bill to date and then open up another line of credit with the hotel. Personally, I found this insulting for a 4+ star hotel who has my credit card details and so could easily bill me on departure. I have been places before where they tell you the amount you have spent if they feel it is getting high - again acceptable - but you pay at the end. Now, I am aware this is a personal thing and not everyone would feel the same way and it does not change my opinion of the hotel, I would still go back, but I would have liked to have known in advance that this was how it worked. I saw the hotel manager about it, who listened and understood my feelings and arranged for us to settle everything at the end.

As I have read the review back, I can see that cost has been mentioned a few times. I think the cheap deal to get there made us think that the holiday would be cheap overall and we forgot we were staying in a 4 star hotel and the prices this attracts. But I guess forewarned is forearmed.

I think this hotel is great and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We would definitely go back but I fear the prices have gone up to a level now that may be beyond our budget, now that the hotel is up and running again after the refurbishment.

Room Tip: Ocean View room all the way!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Howard S, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your very detailed report which is of great value to us and also future guests. Some of your points are already a topic of discussion here since your review came out at the weekend. Again my thanks and I do hope we see you again in Tobago, am sure our prices are similar. Your travel agent can advise you there.
Best regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I enjoyed a one night stay to see what Tobago was all about. Glad I did. It was only $24US to fly over - a bargain!! This hotel sits out and away from others so is a bit quieter but it does mean a taxi ride to do some things. Not a problem man. The hotel is long in breadth as there is apparently a 3 floor limit. If you are on the ends, it is a long walk..but then again they have golf carts to whisk you around. The pool is nice and I enjoyed the swim up bar. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only real down side was the beach. It is right there in front of you but they go to great lengths to discourage its use due to currents. Rather - they bus you over to another beach. Odd. We chose to eat off property so I cannot comment on food except for the included breakfast. Very nice. The waitress had a squirt gun to keep the birds away. Very cool.

Room Tip: Close the curtains before you go to bed!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. Hope we can host you again in the future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel has a tremendous situation, facing the Atlantic ocean, East (the sunrise wakes you up if you forgot to close your curtains).
It is very well renovated, looks brand new, with quality tech equipment (Cisco phone, internet and TV) Ethernet in rooms, speed OK, Carrier air conditioning that works silently, modern furniture and bath equipment.
Rooms are large and beds comfortable. Terraces of each room large, clean, with East wind.
We only enjoyed breakfast which was qualitative.
For fitness, 8 cardio machines, Sauna, modern bodybuilding equipment banks and weights.
To make it short, very nice place to stay !
If you happen to kite or windsurf, the location is also very nice, not far from pigeon point. You may also launch from the hotel beach but a little technical (palm trees and narrow beach).
Staff properly trained and often smiling and saying hello, which is good in a country that does not need tourism currencies because of its oil and gas reserves.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

We all enjoyed your very observant review; indeed while tourism is not the mainstay of the economy of Trinidad and Tobago it is nevertheless important to us that all our visitors enjoy true Caribbean hospitality and we look forward to their return. Thank you again for your kind comments.
Our best wishes.................

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I am one who is very particular about where I stay, where I make my bookings and customer service. The Magdalena is perfect. I booked my package with Emerge Travel, the number one agency in Trinidad... recommend it to anyone. The travel agent promised that they will be at the resort to ensure that all will go well and as he promised he was right behind us at check in with a smile.

1. The bell boys

As soon as you exit out of the taxi, the bell boys open the door and greet you with a smile. They are very friendly, the kind of friendly with boundaries.... they are respectable.... while you make your way to check in, they greet you with a fruit juice. After all, I was thirsty.......I did come all the way from London for Jazz you know... how did they know that I was thirsty.....

2. The Front Desk Staff
Very warm and friendly. They seemed a bit tired.... but after great service to customers, who wouldn't be..... Especially that Guest Services Supervisor...... she is awesome... After check in, trust me when I say, you can call them any time about anything...

3. The Room
The room is very cosy. Very Caribbean and the decor speaks of Paradise. The pillows are Hypo-allergenic and the room service is very efficient....

4. Food and Service
On a scale on one to ten........... Ill give them a 9...... maybe because it was a peak weekend.... the place was packed.... but I didnt have to wait more than 5 to 15 minutes for my meals.... they were quick and efficient and if I had a complaint, their ears were quick to listen and do what was necessary.

5. Great WiFi and its freeeeee
I was able to skype with family back home and get work done

As I said, I flew in all the way from London for this trip..... everything that Emerge Travel said was true..... La Magdalena is indeed a Paradise.....

I can't wait to return next year......

Room Tip: The Deluxe Rooms are great but the Superior Deluxe or the ones with a Jacuzzi is to die for...... be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trinibrit F

We very much enjoyed reading your review and trust you took a little part of Magdalena back to London with you. Look forward to hosting you next year for Tobago Jazz.
Best regards and hurry home..............
The Magdalena famly

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The arrival at the hotel in daylight is extremely impressive, even as a non-golfer the course, through which you drive, appears to be beautiful, the plantation houses on the drive up build the expectations of the hotel and you are not disappointed.
It is a very attractive and well maintained hotel - even though it has been re-opened less than 12 months, it should be remembered how extreme and damaging the Caribbean weather is without constant attention.
The staff, on arrival, were welcoming, attentive and professional. The rooms are lovely, spacious, well equipped, nicely decorated, beautiful ocean views and efficient, quiet air-conditioning.
If you are using the hotel as a base you need to have a car or be aware that taxis charge a premium for the detour to the hotel as it is classed as out of the way based on Tobago distances.
The staff are a credit to the hotel, many of whom I apologise to for not remembering their names, however, both Anthony and Michael on the concierge desk were great, especially giving me assistance when my husband was off diving.
The most exceptional member of staff for me was Hans from the Tavaco Bar. As a non all inclusive guest I found it unbelievable to pay over £7.00 for a glass of wine and not be able to have a wine of choice, apart from Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio – both of which are fairly poor quality. When I expressed my disappointment to Hans his customer service was absolutely fantastic, his actions and attitude towards my issue made other failings in the hotel more acceptable.
Breakfast was very good, wide ranging and plentiful. Coffee was hit and miss, always looked like coffee, but sometimes lacked the taste of coffee. Evening dinner in the Pembois Restaurant we didn’t enjoy, but I only expect self-service in motorway service stations. The Kalina restaurant was OK. The pool side grill restaurant served fantastic wraps that were delicious.
I was impressed with the visibility of the GM, not something that is usual in other Caribbean islands, I think this visibility results in the improved customer service that is felt at the Magdalena.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean facing and spacious
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Your review was most detailed and thankful for which we thank you. I have taken particular note of areas where you feel we could improve and also of course the compliments to our staff particularly Hans who is a true industry professional. We will be here waiting for you so hurry back!
Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!