My husband and I stayed here for one week 3rd - 10th April, we only stayed at the Magdalena Grand as my cousin was getting married there.
The moment we arrived the bellboy took all our bags and bought us a refreshing fruit punch (don't think it was rum punch as none of us could taste any rum in it), we checked in and as I had previously read on TA that the staff were rude this is what I was expecting but I found all the front desk staff lovely and helpful and gave you service with a smile.
We stayed on a B&B basis (breakfast was very good) as we expected to be out most of the time anyway, we did try the buffet for Dinner once, it was ok nothing exceptional but it was VERY expensive, we also ate in the Robinson Crusoe Pub, this was a disaster, we did wonder why another person had left all their food and we soon found out, we ordered a chicken burger and fries, my aunt and uncle ordered fish with fries, both the chicken inside the burger was very dry and overcooked and the french fries were actually steak chips, we did leave our meals and were offered something else from the menu, we declined but my aunt and uncle did end up being offered something from the buffet which they were more pleased with. The Salaka Grill was a much better option for food but only stayed open until 5pm except on Sundays where it stayed open for longer.
We used the free shuttle to get to the caribbean side the first time to Pigeon Point and again on another day we were dropped off the driver and directed us where we needed to walk to get to Store Bay, he even said he would pick us up on the way back from Pigeon Point to the hotel, we found store bay much nicer and cleaner than Pigeon point, the sea here was calmer and no stones/coral to have to walk through to get into the sea, the glass bottom boat tours start from Store Bay.
The room was perfect but the shower door needed a clean, we have no other gripes about the room, all the rooms have a sea view as previously mentioned by others, we were in room 333 which is on the North side in between the pool bar and the satelite pool.
Service in the bars and restaurants was generally slow but you get used to it, I have to send a big shout out to Meka and Lennox and some of the buffet staff, the majority of the staff were helpful, never had a rude member of staff whilst there.
The wedding was a gorgeous affair but take note the hair salon is closed on Monday (which was the day of the wedding), we had the ballroom for the reception and all the staff were fab, the ceremony took place by the gazebo (it is rather a small one) but it did look gorgeous when decorated with flowers.
We did an island tour which lasted from 9am - 5pm with food and drink included, the bigger the group the better as you can get discounts, there were 7 of us so got a good deal, we booked this tour at Pigeon Point through a government registered tour op. Tito was our driver for the day, what can I say he was absolutely brilliant!
We would come back if we could afford it, it was rather expensive for 2 of us. We did see Coco Reef (next door to Store Bay) and said we would also like to try there as its nearer bars and restaurants. The Magdelana was really far from anything else which let it down, also entertainment is badly needed in the evenings, it was way too boring in the evening. The hotel is on the Atlantic side but we still loved it as you get the breeze and no mozzie bites! You do have to be careful as we did burn one morning whilst out for a long walk and we didn't realise how hot the sun was due to the breeze.
Thank you all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands