“Relaxing holiday”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I visited this hotel for two weeks in March, the first week as a solo traveller, with my friend meeting me the second week. I was on the all inclusive package - which I would recommend.

I had read some of the previous reviews, so was a little worried, had I booked the right place?
Well all I can say is a resounding yes, and here is my review:

I found all the staff to be friendly, kind and courteous, I never once saw them be rude to any guest. They went above and beyond at some points, for example cooking and presenting us with baked potatoes one night, because my friend had casually said she missed them.

The pool area is very clean, and I saw the chap clean it every morning.
There are some lovely walks around the hotel, whether you go up the beach, or around the roads / golf course.

For breakfast, the staff give you water pistols, if you sit outside, to help chase off the birds.

Lunch, I tended to go to Salaka the outside grill, where the portions are large and the food well cooked and tasty.

Dinner, I was lucky enough to eat 4 times in Kalina's, the premium restaurant, again the food portions were large and delicious. One point I would make, it would be nice to have a copy of the menu outside the restaurant so you can peruse throughout the day and decide if you want to eat there.
The main buffet - the choice was large and varied. The chefs would interact and make me smile, the waiting staff always prompt with drinks and cheerful.

The bars - oh how I miss them, the staff: Zsa Zsa, Stephanie, Lennox, Hans, Franklyn - they all make amazing cocktails, laugh and joke with you, and make you feel warmly welcome. Big 5 stars for these people.

My room was always clean, and housekeeping very discreet.

Management - I find it hard to believe other reviews where they say they could never find management, Vince the hotel manager was always very visible and more than open for a chat, as was the food and beverage manager. They regularly checked all was ok and that I was having a good holiday and asked if there was anything else I wanted.

This was the perfect holiday for just relaxing and unwinding.

If you are looking for a hectic holiday with plenty of night life - don't come here.

I came home feeling absolutely relaxed and chilled.

So why not 5 stars.... Just at the end you let yourselves down. I paid the extra to keep my room until 3pm - I don't mind that cost, but my transport pick up was still not for another 3 hours, so I thought I would get some snacks and a drink or two. After 2 weeks of being on the all inclusive package, I was suddenly told, as I had checked out, I now needed to pay for anything I had. Really - can you not extend your courtesy for the last few hours! This is something I honestly feel you need to change.

Apart from that, a wonderful time. And I can't forget to mention the staff behind reception who were friendly and helpful, Anna - director of fun (what a job title) who again always stopped and had time for me, Mofina and Darius who would make me smile every time I saw them.
Grand Magdalena - you have some great staff, thank you to them all.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 8DianeW8
Joerg W, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your detailed review on your recent stay at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort.
I particularly thank you for your comments on our staff; it is wonderful to see that our team did make an impact and created a truly relaxing vacation experience. We share your review with all our employees and I specifically forward your compliments to Zsa Zsa, Stephanie, Lennox, Hans, Franklyn as well as our Front Office Team & Anna and her team members Mofina and Darius.
I have taken note of your comment to post the Kali’na Menu outside the restaurant, I believe this is a great idea and we work on the implementation. Also your second observation on the charges for your consumptions on your departing day is of great interest to us. I fully understand your situation and we are evaluating right now possibilities to enhance this.
Thank you again for taking the time and we look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Although I was not staying at this hotel, I had two very good experiences of it.
One was to go to their Sunday evening jazz in the bar and the other was to have breakfast in their buffet breakfast room the following day. Both were great treats and highly to be recommended.
It would be hard to beat the breakfast for range, taste and service. It includes normal English breakfast items as well as Caribbean and American food, sitting outside and inside, with views over the swimming pool and out to sea.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 333GK10
Joerg W, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for the time to post a review of your visits at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort. All of us are thrilled to see that we succeeded in making these visits such a success and I share your comments with all employees.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your friends soon again and once more; thank you.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My room was broken into while my husband and I were asleep.
No one actually came in buy the chain was broke. And when we said people are in the room they left. It was dark so we could not see who it was since the power was out.
Nothing has been done!
This is supposed to be a high end resort and safe but it was not!

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Krystalr26
Joerg W, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention again. The hotel night staff, security and management were aware of this unfortunate incident when it happened; it was not a break –in situation but a mistake by our staff. I am happy that no access actually occurred. We sincerely apologise for this miss-step and fully understand the guest concerns: Guest Safety and Security is of critical importance to the resort management and staff and we have put in place the appropriate measures to prevent this type of incident ever happening again.

Once again, thank you for your time

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We loved our stay at Magdalena which gave us all we were after. Of course not everything was perfect but if you want perfection then stay in a 5*+ hotel and pay for the privilege. I have read a lot of the reviews and was amazed by some of the prices quoted. The answer of course is to do your homework and research on the internet and not accept the first price offered but shop around. The other piece of advice in the Carribean is to get as high a meal plan as you can because drinks and meals in hotels are not cheap. We shopped around and went all inclusive and for 14 nights had superb value for money.

The island is very unspoilt and beautiful and security outside the hotel isn't an issue like in some other Carribean islands. We hired a car and had a great time.

Our deluxe room was large with a very big bed which was very comfortable (important for bad back sufferers) and the bathroom had both a bath tub and seperate shower cubicle. The first negative point is the cleanliness in the bathroom, although it was cleaned every day they need a deep clean once a month to make the shower door and the surfaces look much better. One excellent thing was the quality of the towels, no threadbare, rough or hard towels to be seen.

The standard of food was excellent overall and we heard no complaints from any of the other guests. The hotel was quiet and so queuing for anything at the buffet wasn't an issue. The Salaka Grill did some great lunch meals, prawn cocktail with king prawns and prawn wrap were among our favorites and in the evening when it was open the sirloin steak was delicious. The Kalina fine dining was very good with a high standard of food and service.

The bars in the evenings were very quiet, our favourite was the Tavaco (piano) Bar which would definitely benefit from a pianist and I think bring in more drinkers. The jazz on Sunday evenings was fantastic and should be on twice per week. The Nylon Pool bar could have done with more than one barperson on duty. Even though the hotel was quiet it could take a considerable amount of time to get served but the drinks were always excellent.

The pool area and beaches were very nice. There should be more sunshades around the pool since they were few and far between although there was shade from palm trees. The breeze that is virtually 24/7 was very welcome since it meant the climate was never too hot. We were staying when the 'dead cows' incident happened and our balcony looked out over that piece of beech and although the smell was very unpleasant it was not the fault of the hotel and they were not allowed to touch them by the public health department. This certainly did not spoil our holiday.

I played golf a few times and certainly the course could do with some attention on the tees and fairways but I found it enjoyable and dodging the sprinklers on some of the greens was all part of the fun. Make sure you take plenty of balls though.

The service from staff in general was excellent and I agree with the reviewer who said that you get back what you give. Some people will never be happy and will always find fault. If you are on holiday you are there to relax and not rush and understand that some cultures are different and more laid back. Having said this there were some times when the service was not up to standard and I think some more training would help particularly around the lunches at the buffet restaurant which changed to a la carte which the staff could not cope with. There were some staff who I want to mention who stood out for their great customer service. First Valerie who worked in the buffet restaurant for breakfasts and lunches. She is an absolute gem who was always smiling, courteous and willing to help and serve and made those meals a pleasure. Second Hans who could not have been nicer. He works mainly in the Tavaco bar although he did move around to cover the others. Nothing was too much for him including showing us how to mix cocktails form scratch and filling us in on the history and geography of the island, a real font of knowledge. The bar being so quiet was an advantage for our conversations with Hans.

Overall a great holiday with one or two hiccups which is only to be expected and did not spoil it in anyway. We would recommend the hotel and the island.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hugh L

Dear Guests,

It was an absolute pleasure to receive your Trip Advisor posting. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your overall vacation and liked in particularly to see your compliments on the towels and our cuisine. Your remarks concerning the bathrooms are highly appreciated and they will be immediately incorporated in our on-going Training & Coaching program. The same applies to your observations on the a la carte lunch. I thank you for these feedbacks as it gives us a unique opportunity to respond to guest’s needs and expectations without further interruption.

I gladly forward your kind comments on Valerie and Hans; it seems that they really made your vacation a little bit more perfect.

Once again, thank you for your time and please let me know, when you would like to return.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Unfortunately, our review is a little late but there was no way I was not going to provide one for this wonderful hotel.

I holidayed with my daughter from 20-27 February this year and vowed to write about our experience when I returned but work got in the way. So this is my first ever review for TripAdvisor, having been a consistent user of this service.

Magdelena met our expectations and then some, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, especially when my daugher and I requested that the seasoned baked beans be on the menu for breakfast the following day :)

The rooms are all ocean facing, we stayed in Room 184, (the right hand side of the hotel, if you're facing it from the front) and we loved it. It was slightly remote, which is most likely why we liked it, felt like our own little piece of paradise, secluded and quiet with our own patio area for when you wanted a little solitude. The room was very clean and we had all we needed, the beds were very comfortable. The rooms were cleaned daily apart from one day; when we called to let them know at 7.30pm, they turned up at 11am which, was way too late but I had no hang ups over this.

The facilities were very good, we enjoyed taking the bikes out for a couple of mornings, free of charge. The shuttle bus was also a good service for the beach and, if you asked nicely, they would drop you off at the entrance resort entrance if you wanted to make your own way into town; this was very helpful on a couple of mornings when we wanted to go shopping in town.

Breakfast, the best meal of the day, and definitely Magadalena exceeded my expectations with their buffet; you can go all out (and unhealthy) or take the healthy, fruit and yogurt option if you wanted, there was something for everyone.

I found the Managers more than approachable when I had a slight 'gripe' in respect to the non availability of ice cream/sweet desert after 6pm. I spoke with Robyn with my suggestions on how this could be resolved, she understood and said she would look into it and hopefully put this right for the future.

Admittedly, the taxis, I found, were quite expensive, we used the service on one occasion to attend Sunday School, if at all possible the hotel should try and negotiate a better rate for holidaymakers, remember we have already gone through the cost of paying for flights and hotels!

In all, this was a needed holiday by us both and the Magadalena made our break very special, so much so, we plan to be back same time next year, perhaps it will become our annual pilgramage in search of the sun; provided we can still have Room 184

My thanks and appreciation goes to Kerry - for his kindness, courtesy and being happy to offer a helping hand, Kareem and Jaleel (driver) - for their courtesy, the other Jaleel, Samantha - making the wickedest cocktails, especially 'Pirates of the Caribbean', which knocked us for six but had us wanting more :), Helen (from the Grill restaurant), the young ladies on reception, always smiling when we went there and a big thanks to Hollis.

We'll be back ...

Jo and Corrine

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lady2shay

Dear Guests,

We are excited to see that you rated us with four out of five and thank you for taking the time to post a review. I particularly thank you for your comments on our staff; it is great to see that our team did make your vacation a great experience.
I passed on your compliments on the food to our Culinary Team. Your comments regarding the taxi fares are of great importance and we will ensure that our respective partners understand the importance of competitive pricing.
It is an absolute pleasure to pass on your comments on Kerry, Kareem, both Jaleels, Samantha, Helen, our Front Office Team and Hollis – for us, this is important, having made one’s vacation a little bit nicer and more comfortable!
Once again thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you again the sooner you let us know, we can make sure that room 184 can be reserved.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel staff are numerous, happy, smiley, courteous and helpfull. The management makes every effort to right any wrong. The hotel is spotless throughout. Food is excellent, we were on half board which gave us 2 tickets for "Fine Dining" at one of the a-la-carte restaurants. It was not really fine dining, but it was good and a change from the buffet style otherwise on option. The high rating on Trip Advisor is fully justified.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean and are equally good
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David7797
Joerg W, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guests,

We are excited to see that you rated us with five out of five and thank you for taking the time to post a review. I particularly thank you for your comments on our staff, it is great to see that our team did make your vacation a great experience.
I passed on your compliments on the food to our Culinary Team with special mentioning of our upscale restaurant Kalina with our very own "Caribbean Fusion Cuisine".

Once again thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were a group of 22 people, my husband and son flew in earlier than the rest of us and they were allowed to check in earlier than they should off. The food is awesome, and the breakfast is one of the best compare to other hotels. The view from the room(we were facing the ocean) is beautiful and the pool was mostly welcome by the younger kids. The weather was hot and the hotel shuttle was very nice, the driver was very friendly. On behalf of all of us I would like to say a special THANK YOU to the Manager Hollis and Hazel Taylor you guys were really great, we were given some extra complimentary time in one of the room since my cousin was recovering from an operation Also Thanks to the hotel restaurant manager he was very friendly and polite and met all our requests. Thank You Magdalena for making our holiday a memorable one. We are planning to visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Angie512

Dear Guests,

Thank you for the time to post a review of your stay at the Magdalena Grand Beach Resort. All of us are thrilled to see that we succeeded in making your vacation such a success and I share your comments with all employees.

I gladly pass on your kind comments to Hazel, Hollis and the Restaurant Manager and we all look forward to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!