I visited this hotel for two weeks in March, the first week as a solo traveller, with my friend meeting me the second week. I was on the all inclusive package - which I would recommend.
I had read some of the previous reviews, so was a little worried, had I booked the right place?
Well all I can say is a resounding yes, and here is my review:
I found all the staff to be friendly, kind and courteous, I never once saw them be rude to any guest. They went above and beyond at some points, for example cooking and presenting us with baked potatoes one night, because my friend had casually said she missed them.
The pool area is very clean, and I saw the chap clean it every morning.
There are some lovely walks around the hotel, whether you go up the beach, or around the roads / golf course.
For breakfast, the staff give you water pistols, if you sit outside, to help chase off the birds.
Lunch, I tended to go to Salaka the outside grill, where the portions are large and the food well cooked and tasty.
Dinner, I was lucky enough to eat 4 times in Kalina's, the premium restaurant, again the food portions were large and delicious. One point I would make, it would be nice to have a copy of the menu outside the restaurant so you can peruse throughout the day and decide if you want to eat there.
The main buffet - the choice was large and varied. The chefs would interact and make me smile, the waiting staff always prompt with drinks and cheerful.
The bars - oh how I miss them, the staff: Zsa Zsa, Stephanie, Lennox, Hans, Franklyn - they all make amazing cocktails, laugh and joke with you, and make you feel warmly welcome. Big 5 stars for these people.
My room was always clean, and housekeeping very discreet.
Management - I find it hard to believe other reviews where they say they could never find management, Vince the hotel manager was always very visible and more than open for a chat, as was the food and beverage manager. They regularly checked all was ok and that I was having a good holiday and asked if there was anything else I wanted.
This was the perfect holiday for just relaxing and unwinding.
If you are looking for a hectic holiday with plenty of night life - don't come here.
I came home feeling absolutely relaxed and chilled.
So why not 5 stars.... Just at the end you let yourselves down. I paid the extra to keep my room until 3pm - I don't mind that cost, but my transport pick up was still not for another 3 hours, so I thought I would get some snacks and a drink or two. After 2 weeks of being on the all inclusive package, I was suddenly told, as I had checked out, I now needed to pay for anything I had. Really - can you not extend your courtesy for the last few hours! This is something I honestly feel you need to change.
Apart from that, a wonderful time. And I can't forget to mention the staff behind reception who were friendly and helpful, Anna - director of fun (what a job title) who again always stopped and had time for me, Mofina and Darius who would make me smile every time I saw them.
Grand Magdalena - you have some great staff, thank you to them all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone and getaroom.com so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands