What can I say about our stay at Magdalena grand ? I toyed with 2 titles for this review, Magdalena not so grand or Magdalena bland. I feel as if I experienced something very different from most of the other reviews on this site. It wasn't what we expected at all, although we still left happy and had a good holiday but mainly due to making the most of what was available and due to such a pretty island. We did however experience some very poor service in our week long stay here and have to say that the hotel and staff need some work.
We made our feelings clear at the hotel and the managers were good enough to give us their time to listen to our concerns and towards the end of the stay once the hotel was less busy things did improve slightly, I'm not completely convinced that our opinions were taken seriously though as the manager attempted no follow up with us.
The service was the main issue during our stay, the bar service is very slow and often abrupt I accept the way of life is slower here however sometimes you could wait 25 minutes to be served, there is no organisation at breakfast and the buffet room itself is quite bleak and the floor dirty and feels more like a public canteen.
The outside bars are also dirty and surfaces not wiped.
The housekeeping in the rooms is sub standard, for example sand was not swept from our floors for 3 days, towels not replaced and even when asking for towels it took 3 hours to get some before we could shower. I don't think the bed was changed all week.
The room service menu is mostly out of date twice I called up and my choice was not available. This was also the case in the fine dining restaurant 3 bottles of wine were not available. These are small points but they happened too frequently.
The restaurant itself was actually good with nice food however again the service is flat and we didn't feel particulary welcome we witnessed a lot of confusion over reservations and bookings and this didn't help a welcoming environmemt.
Over all even keeping in mind the difference in Caribbean hotel ratings to western ratings this hotel isn't a four star hotel and it's hard to believe its been open just over a year as already there are huge signs of wear and tear and the rooms and bathrooms although fine are very basic.
It's worth also noting that the hire bikes are not in great condition the chain on ours fell off 3 times and also the sauna was out if use the whole duration of our stay. We had a constant rattle in our bathroom and the wall squeaked and vibrated each time water was running, one night the vibrations from water pipes were so bad the shower handle fell off.
The walkways and public bathrooms are also not well kept rails are rusty and floors dirty etc.
The saving grace was the weather and the setting of the hotel the beach is nice and peaceful and the pool areas are good, although the wind after 5pm can be a little cool. It would be a good if there was a bar at the front of the hotel so you could enjoy a drink outside in the evening without the wind.
We wouldnt return to this hotel which is a shame as Tobago is a lovely island but we strongly feel the "holiday feeling " and service levels are too lacking here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands