“Great Stay, Great value, Lots of Fun”

Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Great Stay, Great value, Lots of Fun”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at the Magdalena Grand Resort in March 2011, after taken advantage of a two night stay offer. This was one of the best vacations my family of four ever had. The hotel is expansive - almost 750 acres, I believe, you would never believe you were in Tobago: it felt as though we were in some far off destinations. Through out the griounds, it was peaceful, picturesque and beautifully landsacped. The grounds consisted of a nature trail, a long walking trail. There were so many things to do - cycling, tennis, swimming. There are pools everywhere. It was a great stay: the food was excellent. In particular, the breakfast was excellent. No problems whatsoever. Rooms were great - comfortable, well appointed, the furniture and fittings all worked. In particular, the staff were very helpful and courteous. Indeed, the Government of Trinidad and tobago has spent close to $100 million to restore this hotel and I hope it attracts enough tourism business, But it is great. I highly recommend this hotel: it was worth every penny.

Lystra Marajh

Room Tip: I dont think there any bad rooms at the Magdelana.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Leeds
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We spent 3 days here for a pre-Carnival relaxation vacation. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It is well maintained and service was generally excellent. Exception was the young man who works the breakfast buffet egg station; several guests and I were discussing his rather gruff attitude.
Our only pet peeve was the fact that at 10am the staff begins to prepare for lunch time in the restaurant despite the breakfast running until 10:30am so there are times where we were told not to sit somewhere due to this setup.
Breakfast is fantastic. The rooms are clean and in excellent condition. Pools are always inviting and have gorgeous views. Grounds are simply lovely. Huge recommendation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I planned my destination wedding here in August and it was honestly one of the worst experiences of my life. 6 months later I am only now able to even think about it again w/o shuddering. The wedding planner was inexperienced and her inefficiency originally caused us to move our wedding date, I had to take over the planning from afar b/c the simplest request would not be responded too - such as requests for names or portfolios for vendors. I was provided with a package and certain vendors that were "included" with this only to find out upon request that they would be an additional charge, the salon that would have been used to do my hair and nails was not open on my wedding day and I had to find this out on my own when I tried to contact them to get info. On the day itself the officiant was unprepared (despite us forwarding our vows 2 weeks before) and seemingly inexperienced botching up our ceremony, the planner was no where to be found during the ceremony and during the candle lighting portion there was no lighter (despite specifically asking her if she would be providing this for the ceremony and getting a yes). We were bumped from our original room to an albeit free location I expressed concern that the seating would be inappropriate and was assured they would "figure it out" only to find on the day that the majority of the guests were unable to see the head table. We were also promised a refreshment hour but no one was there to direct our guests were to go for the said refreshments (it was supposed to be at the pool bar which turned out to be closed...go figure).... We were also told that our area would be sectioned off so that the guests would be able to enjoy the lounge area w/o other hotel guests intruding..not so... overall this was a horrible experience however, the general manager was quite understanding and reimbursed us for parts of the ceremony w/o hesitation however, the money does not make up for the memories... The hotel itself is quite pretty and would be okay for a visit but not for an important occasion especially if you are not there to oversee all the minutia

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank allie26
Lake District
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week at the beginning of December, and had a fabulous time. Our suite had a jacuzzi on one of our two balconies, a lounge, two bathrooms and lovely bedroom and it all cost the same as the week we'd had in Tenerife in February where we just had a room and balcony.
We were half board and food was plentiful and very good in the buffet restaurant at breakfast and dinner. You can sit inside or outside overlooking the pool and sea. We also tried the fine dining restaurant, it was lovely, but a little too formal for us to eat in every night. There is also a grill by the pool during the day where you can get light meals (about £10/meal)
Drinks cost the same as a good English hotel, so you can soon rack up a big credit card bill if you are enjoying the cocktails. The people on an all inclusive tariff had a definite advantage!
Magdalena is at the top of a mile long empty sandy beach which was so beautiful to wander along beneath the palm trees, a great workout to prepare you for an afternoon by the pool. If you like to sunbathe you will be delighted at the choice of sun beds around the pools and hotel beach. No problem getting a sun bed either as it was never more than 50% occupied. The grounds are beautiful and you can stroll round safely looking at the wildlife
It is best to remember you are in the Caribbean and it is much more relaxed (slow) than we Brits are used to. I wouldn't say this is a 5* hotel, it a stupendous 4*. Flying direct is a real bonus, plenty of legroom on the Monarch flight, all in all a completely stress free holiday.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RugbymumCumbria
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the resort in sept 2012 for our honeymoon. We wanted to write a review since then but never got the time. But they do deserve a great review. We were greeted with a candle lighted room, swan folded towels with local flowers on the bed when we arrive. The pub robinson crusoe located on the hotel's compound Had live entertainment and the singers congratulated us on our marriage. Crystal from robinson crusoe pub, Giselle hotel manager and Vandra hotel manager were all very helpful and accommodating. We got complimentary drinks. Room service is always available. The pools are wonderful, there are also lots of fun activities daily. There is also a private beach! Scuba sessions, wii chaLlenges etc. They is a souvenir store located on the hotel's compound, cakes snackette (who was also a lovely attendant) and restaurant. The all inclusive breakfast is out of this world there is no meal missing and the chef will make an omelet you desire before your eyes. The only down fall is the hotel is that it is located far in the plantations. You will have to come with your vehicle or use the shuttle service of the hotel. Mr. Freddy is the hotel driver he is warm and friendly and he will take you safely to and from where you want to go. We reside in Trinidad but our experience has made us want to move to Tobago as a result of the friendly atmosphere there. Beautiful shots were captured and we will have lovely memories of our honeymoon experience for a lifetime! :) So please with the experience.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank MohammedsKSJM
Trinidad
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My family and I visited the hotel for the carnival weekend. This is our second visit and we were treated with the same level of professionalism as we got last April. The breakfast is amazing and the restaurant staff always willing to assist.

Special mention to the young ladies at CEE CEE Kids club....I will leave my kids in their care any day and I will recommend the club to other friends I referred to the hotel. Thanks a lot Monifa for your love and dedication shown to the kids, mention also to Janelle and Anika....you all gave the kids special love.

Hope to visit again in 2014 and Hope to see you girls and guys!!!! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel, in a really special location. The grounds are just fantastic, my boyfriend is a keen birdwatcher and loved having our own private mangrove swamp (we never saw anyone else there the few times we visited) and being able to borrow the bikes for free to cycle round the estate. The bike quality wouldn't be suitable for long rides but can't complain at all for free!

The rooms are spacious, everything is in an easy walk along the beautiful Atlantic coast. The beds are very comfortable, the balcony just the right size and air-con worked like a charm. The cleaning standard isn't 100% but this is much more to do with not wiping down completely, everything is still very clean.

The only thing stopping me giving this hotel 5 stars is the slight issue with the cleaning, and also the service. A few times we had to ask repeatedly for things (asking for wine with dinner three times in the fine dining restaurant for example), although the staff were absolutely lovely and always apologised profusely whenever things were delayed.

In terms of friendliness the staff were top notch, it was just that communication sometimes didn't get through to the right person so things got delayed. When it did work it was very good. We were particularly impressed when requesting a breakfast box for an early trip we were going on. We didn't know we would be leaving so early until about 10pm the night before, rang reception and we had wonderful (and huge) breakfast boxes waiting for us at 6am the following morning. Included in our all inclusive package - we were very impressed.

There was a lot of variety in the food which was really tasty - fine dining restaurant was really good and pembois buffet had a good variety. The grill by the pool offered good snacks for lunch, and pembois did very good bigger lunches like pasta with delicious king prawns. Afternoon tea was also a nice bonus! Cocktails at the swim up pool bar were generous with the alcohol and absolutely delicious - best type of cocktails! We were all inclusive which I think is the best way to go, as the hotel is a way from other eating options on the extensive grounds. For an idea of price a lunch at pembois cost around 50 USD, which included a beer, several soft drinks and tea, two main meals and two desserts.

The location (and the breeze!) has been discussed a lot, I have to say we enjoyed the cool breeze, and there are plenty of places to lie out of the breeze whilst sunbathing. Having the huge grounds more than made up for this for us, and although the beach is not the traditional coral sands it is breathtakingly beautiful and very quiet. I went swimming several times, although never went out of my depth as the currents are strong - although nowhere near as much as our rep made out!

We were out and about for quite a few tours with the wonderful Newton George, but still enjoyed the hotel's facilities on the days we were staying in the hotel - free scuba session was good for us as we wanted to try it, although as expected you literally just put a mask on and crawl around the bottom of the pool to see what it feels like. I also had a massage whilst my boyfriend was out birding, it was fantastic and cost 50 USD for over an hour.

Would give this hotel 4 and half if I could as the friendliness of the staff, the location, the grounds, and the sounds of the waves make it a really special place to stay on Tobago.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Elizabeth A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!