We split out two weeks in Tobago with one week at Magadalena and our second week at Coco Reef Resort & Spa. Thank goodness we never booked the two weeks at Magdalena. NEVER before have we stayed at such a disorganised resort with such appalling service. The rooms were lovely, the food was lovely but the level of service was ludicrous. We often had to wait for our table at breakfast and dinner time. They appeared to have no order of doing things. Table service was erratic to say the least with us having to ask the waiting staff to remove empty plates which had sat on the table for fifteen minutes. We ordered drinks at the table which never arrived. There never seemed to be anyone in charge and organising staff. The staff had a very obvious couldn't care less attitude and seemed to sense tha place was in complete uproar. On our last night, it was complete chaos with guests complaining about waiting so long for tables, and just sitting down at any tables which appeared to be available. We ended up walking out after just eating a main course. The whole place is a complete shambles. There appeared to be someone who looked to be the manager and his sidekick going about from time to time, but they may as well have been wearing blindfolds for all the difference their presence made. Meals were always buffet style in the evening. We did get a "complimentary" voucher to use in their fine dining restaurant, but when we booked we were told that even though we were on all inclusive basis, the dinner voucher never included drinks, and they would have to be paid for! We also found that the majority of guests appeared to be on half board. Never before have we encountered such greed, as guests were piling high on buffet breakfasts. We couldn't believe, that some tables were piled with plates full of fruit, pastries and muffins, and this was all after a full cooked breakfast! It really did beggar belief. We also witnessed one couple go up to the evening buffet three times each and come back with three different main meals. It really was disgusting. Rooms were lovely. Very clean, but sometimes housekeeping werent in until almost 5'o clock. The entire hotel appeared to be very understaffed & VERY badly managed.
Think very carefully before booking your holiday and parting with your hard earned cash for this place. As I mentioned before, we spent our second week at Coco Reef, and thank goodness. Coco Reef might be in need of refurbishment and may be a bit rough round the edges, but the service is EXCELLENT. The staff are friendly, and it's such a well organised establishment. The management team of Magadalena should go along there and find out the proper way to run a hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands