Newly refurbished hotel in impressive grounds. Stayed there for a week with my family and it was mainly an enjoyable stay. We were all inclusive and I would certainly recommend taking this option as the prices were exceptionally high otherwise.
The rooms were nice with easy access to swimming pools. We had a small pool almost outside the rear of our room that was hardly used by anyone else.
Food was of varied quality. Breakfast in the buffet restaurant was fine but you often had to wait to be seated. There were usually hordes of people at breakfast but they disappeared afterwards. They were not at the pools or bars and were not at any other meals. Perhaps they were on b&b or stopping for breakfast on island day trips?
Lunch was a la carte at the beach and buffet restaurants and the food was good. Dinner at the buffet restaurant was poor most nights. The fine dining restaurant was much better and you could dine twice a week as part of the all inclusive. An extensive menu and good service.
The sports bar was very slow with service. The cocktail bar was excellent. Again both were expensive if you were not on all inclusive.
On the downside, some of the service was erratic. One day our room was not cleaned and the back door lock was broken. We phoned reception about both matters about 6.00 in the evening. By 8.00 nothing had been sorted out. I went to reception and was told by a surly member of staff that the operator had been informed! I never found out who this operator was! Fortunately a bell boy overheard the conversation and he said that he would find a mechanic and cleaner to rectify the problems. He did find both and stayed in our room until everything was sorted out. The bell boy got an excellent tip! The reception staff should consider a different career.
The beach is a disappointment as it is covered in seaweed which was only removed once during our stay. The hotel suggests that you do not swim in the sea due to the currents.
The swim up pool bar was closed on two hot days when we were there. This is not satisfactory as this is one of the factors that assists with your choice of hotel.
Overall a nice hotel that needs better management which would bring it up to 4 star standard. The beach sItuation will always hold it back from 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The new, 4 Star, Magdalena Grand Beach Resort is located on Tobago Plantations Estate, a 750 acre gated community, and offers 178 Deluxe OceanFront Rooms and 22 One and Two Bedroom Suites. All accommodations are Ocean Front with private balconies. This beachfront resort offers an 18-hole PGA Golf Course, its own Dive Center, Spa, and the largest amount of banquet & meeting space on Tobago. Complimentary wireless internet is available throughout the resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, TravelUp, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vhl Tobago Golf Hotel Lowlands
- Vhl Tobago Golf And Spa Resort
- Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort Tobago/Lowlands