“Fabulous family holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We spent the last two weeks of July at the Magdalena with our two boys (aged 11 and 12). Before going, we'd read a lot of reviews on tripadviser and admit that some had us a little concerned. However, have to say that, overall, we had a fantastic holiday and have recommended it to family and friends since our return to the UK. Staff were courteous and willing to help, the buildings and facilities very well maintained (with the exception of a light falling out into the pool, which seemed to take a full day to fix) and, as we were looking for a quiet base from which to organise our own sightseeing round the island, the isolation created by the golf course didn't worry us. We added it to our 'adventures', taking bikes out and spotting the wildlife surrounding the hotel (including the caiman sitting out at the golf clubhouse!). The boys loved it all.

That said, we did experience most of the issues raised by previous reviewers. Our room wasn't ready on our arrival - difficult to understand why having booked and paid three months prior, and arriving early evening (particularly unappealing after a long-haul flight). We weren't warned about the 4200 TT deposit required, although when we checked out, it appeared we'd only signed a pre-approval on our credit card, and nothing was debited from our card until check-out. Service in the Kalina was EXTREMELY slow, despite only four tables of custom, and although we'd been given credits to eat there four nights we only used one, preferring to stick to the Pembois (and we'd certainly agree the food is the Pembois fabulous). Yes, the bikes need an overhaul but, from Mr Angelo's comments, it seems they're getting one.

Other issues we experienced were the LOUD music from a wedding which lasted until 11:45pm (we were on the north side of the main building and our room was directly opposite the function suite). This was followed the next morning by a very LOUD church group, starting at 10am. When we finally began to crack around 5pm, I spoke to reception and was a bit dismayed to find it was scheduled to go on until 10pm. The wedding we could just about accept (and I wish the couple every happiness) but the fact the noise lasted the whole weekend was bad. Given the design of the hotel, I'm not sure what the solution is but, come on guys, we didn't come on holiday to a 4* hotel to be kept awake by someone else's party!

Noise was an issue for us in the first week, when we found the ever-present housekeeping. One night I eventually stuck my head out the door to ask when they were finishing - I thought 10:15pm was probably a bit antisocial to be slamming doors, rustling bags, pushing the large and clunky trolley along a tiled floor....? I was told they were supposed to finish at 9pm (still a bit late for a family hotel I thought) but had extra rooms to finish. To their credit, they were polite and apologetic.......but maybe another side effect of trying to meet demands for late check-out rooms (although, like others, we found the hotel relatively quiet on custom). It didn't seem to be such an issue the second week so maybe changes had been made.

Other small issues were that we exchanged money and travellers cheques at reception but were given the wrong amount of TT currency. Apparently the girl on reception had realised but no-one had come to tell us. It was only resolved because we went back to say the numbers didn't add up. Apologies all round but left us wondering whether anyone would ever have told us unprompted? Also, as our boys don't like kids clubs, we found the Wii and table football above the Robinson Crusoe bar 2 hours before we checked out. No-one had mentioned it to them. The billing in the Pembois is strange - we were on a HB deal but every night we had to sign a bill which included 750TT for meals. These were extracted on check-out, and we only paid for drinks, but we were confused! Also, the bill includes service charge and a line for gratuities but it's not clear whether the service staff get the service charge? My understanding is that this is a standard charge by management in all Tobago Hotels and they don't so, if you want to reward them, make sure you add a gratuity.

Despite all this, we still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel. It's clearly still a bit of a work in progress in some ways but management do seem to be actively responding to comments (although we left some in the suggestion box which haven't been acknowledged). The location and facilities are good, everyone is friendly, the kids felt welcomed, overall it's peaceful and transportation to other parts of a beautiful island are easy (although if you hire a car, don't expect road signs on the west side!). Despite the hitches, we had a thoroughly relaxing time and the Magdalena would certainly be our first choice hotel if went back to Tobago.

Room Tip: Avoid being too close to the function suite (north 'wing'). Rooms further from the main bui...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Room239

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Couva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just returned from a totally relaxing vacation at the Magdalena with my family and we have three young kids ages 1yr, 3 yrs and 5yrs. The Magdalena caters well for families and couples. We stayed in an Ocean view suite wish consisted of a bedroom, a living room, two bathrooms and two patis with a jacuzzi in one. Although the beach at the hotel is not the best for bathing you do get the great sea views, sea breeze, sea sand and a magnificant sunrise at this hotel. The pools are 1-1.2 meters deep and large enough so you never feel crowded. the staff is friendly especially Victoria who introduced me to the htoel signature teas which all tea lovers will definetly enjoy. There are also many lovely beaches close by such as Pigeon Point, Store Bay and Mt Irvin and for those who don't mind the drive Englishman's Bay is definetly worth visiting. The hotel also has a lovely playground for the kids and a kids club with lots of activities. I normally stay at the Coco Reef hotel but I was pleasantly surprised at the Magdalena their food, rooms, pools and service are superior. All in all the Magdalena is a great place to get R&R for those looking for a resort with everything this place is definetly it we had a great family vacation.

Room Tip: Room 165/166
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jaime B
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just got back from an excellent 2 weeks at the Magdelana Hotel. Checking in and out was very efficient and completed with the minimum of fuss. The rooms are excellent, large, airy and furnished to a high standard. A minor complaint was that the in room coffee and tea was very infrequently and sporadically replenished. We were on an all inclusive package and this represented very good value for money. The main comment of myself and everyone I talked to was that the standard of catering is exceptionally high. Both breakfast and dinner buffets offered superb quality, variety and was always fresh and tasty. Food in the kalina fine dining restaurant was also excellent with a fantastic choice of mains and starters especially. I have to say that I cannot understand the comments about hospitality and service at the hotel. Everyone I came across was so friendly and welcoming and really could not do enough for you. In particular franklyn and karlina in the Tavaco cocktail bar were delightful as well as making amazing cocktails! The main pool is great with plenty of sun loungers and the breeze from the ocean really helps to keep things cool. I used the gym most days and it was well equipped with cardio machines and free weights as well as usually being empty! Tobago itself is a truly beautiful island that has not been affected by mass tourism. We hired a car for a few days and it was a great experience driving around and visiting the many beautiful beaches. The roads are very winding, often narrow and do possess lots of potholes though! Overall it was a fantastic holiday and if you are a person that likes a peaceful, relaxing environment combined with excellent catering you cannot fail to have a good time here!

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea. We had a suite which was huge and had its own private jacuzzi!
Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Carla T
Vince A, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for describing your experience at the Resort as "Excellent" and thank you for taking the time to post your expeience for others. We are appreciative of the business and the support and will continue to strive for the highest quality of food and services that can be delivered. We also hope that you choose Tobago for another holiday trip and give us another chance to serve you in "Excellent" fashion. Warm Tobago regards,,,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

We are at present still in the hotel but I just couldn't wait to send out my compliment to the staff.
Excellent service,wonderful breakfast with such a wide variety and a pleasant environment throughout.
Activities for all ages, my favorite part is the pool with our bar tender David. I can't wait to visit again.

Only surprise to me was the deposit at checking in time,because I asked before and no one told me. Luckily I had the cash but it kinda had me worried as to if there would be any other surprise at checking out time
All in all,I will recommend the place to all my friends in Trinidad and those in Houston.
Perry.....Rm 105

Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your feedeback. I can't think of a title that would be better than yours. "Best Fun Ever" is exactly what we want to be on the minds of our guests. We will share your comments with the staff and recognize David for standing out and representing himself and the Resort very well. We hope to see you back again, in the future. Our sincere thanks.
southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed in Magdalena with my husband in January 2012 and had a lovely relaxing time. Just looking on internet to book 3 weeks stay again December/January. Can't wait! Hopefully Vince, Marilyn and the rest of staff are still there. See you soon! Mr and Mrs W, room 338.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank room338
Vince A, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for the posting and we are also looking forward to your return visit. Most importantly is your experience before is bringing you back to us and that is a "Gold Star" in our business. Thank you for giving us another opportunity to serve you.
Gulf View
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is my third stay at the Magdalena and my stays get better each time. I have read some of the negative reviews and those experiences are all alien to me...as in all major hotels, it is generally accepted that if you arrive before check in time, there will be some degree of waiting, ...so the naysayers should do like most other travellers and book the night before so you can indeed have an early check-in!!!.. I was fortunate on all occasions to have my room available before 12.00p.m.

Nothwithstanding, the property is located on one of the most picturesque locations in Tobago with an expansive panoramic view of the Atlantic (and the accompany cool trade winds). Early morning walks/runs on the beach or through the beautiful surrounding golf course and properties thereon are a must to do while at this hotel...There is also a well equipped gym which I usually made full use of, though I was not up to the early morning Zumba classes. The kids loved the meandering pool with mid afternoon volley ball. The staff at the pool bar were charming and mixed the most delicious cocktails (and deadly potent Long Island Iceteas).

Morning breakfasts were International with a Caribbean charm and flavour..and with options for us health minded and calorie counters...The restuarant staff were some of the most pleasant, courteous and helpful staff we encountered..they were welcoming each morning and went out their way to accommodate any request.

At night in the Robinson Crusoe lounge, Bernard mixes the most awesome cocktail with 3 0 rum. Remember to ask him to mix his speciality for you.

Over the past three trips, I can't think of one bad experience. Yes they have been refurbishing the hotel, which is now almost completed and there were minor inconveniences..but overall our experience has been Grand and we look forward to our next trip to this fabulous resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. Better view and closer to get to after a night out in the bar....
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rabindranath R
Vince A, General Manager at Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your 3rd experience at the Magdalena Grand. As General Manager, the main take away for me reading this, is that we provided consisent delivery of expectations for the 3rd time coming. In a people business you have to deliver consistently as each individuals expectations and motivations can vary. I am very pleased to know that we hit the ball all 3 times and I will be sure to review your comments with the staff. Thank you for the continued support, the additional details you wrote about, and we look forward to having you back with us, in the future.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just came back from 3 day stay at the revamped Hilton Tobago now Magdalena Grand . The package offered to locals is appropriate for the summer and we enjoyed it . After Hilton being gone for so long was nice to have somewhere to have a full comfortable stay. Check in was a bit slow my wife was ah bit edgy but that was calmed by Cherrise who was warm an accommodating . The rooms are fit for Resort an pools are relaxing . Breakfast buffet was a feast an I like to eat so they had me there. The shuttle service provided to the beach is the little surprises we enjoyed. Sunday BBQ brunch ...what can I say ...we almost missed it but staff was welcoming , Victoria was efficient an friendly , now the upset while having lunch was to watch an hear our own locals verbally abuse the Supervisor on duty Tony an act like such spoil child for a woman of her age is what brought Hilton to what it was , shouting an pushing her hands in his face an walking off screaming racist words at him was so lady like. All the while Tony stood there smiling an calm , good job keeping it professional don't let these locals get the better of you . That being said Tony was very courteous seem to be visiting tables making us feel welcomed an seems to know all the hotel information even when we asked what happened he continued professionally saying all was well. Please my local friends don't go to our nations tourism makers with your spoil attitude before we lose this hotel too. To conclude the stay was well what we needed check out was smooth Mr Hollis was courteous an seems to be in control of things...keep up the great work guys !!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Akil K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!