“ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lowlands
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“ATROCIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Magdalena is anything but grand...claims to be fully renovated but is far from...tubs in the rooms dirty and floors are covered with some sort off sticky product housekeeping uses to clean making it uncomfortable to walk barefooted in room.
The restaurants are good. The food was good. Only positive thing I have to say about them.
We were overcharged for our stay and when alerted the front desk staff they were anything but helpful! As soon as they were questioned their attitudes became SOUR! I had to go asking for the General Manager 4 times!!! in one day before I could speak with him! After all that the problem was not fully rectified and they made a feeble offer to appease me.
As an experienced traveller I have NEVER had such terrible customer service from any hotel staff anywhere else in the world! Next time my money will surely be spent elsewhere!
TWO STAR MAGDALENA....POOR POOR POOR!!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Thalia R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Chaguanas, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and i stayed here for our 3rd year anniversary. We stayed 4 days and 3 nights. I cannot begin to tell you about the excellent service and friendly staff. The staff treat you as if you are royalties! Whatever you ask for (once it's reasonable) they make sure you get it. And someone actually call you to make sure you got it in a timely manner. The resort has two restaurants and lounge bars, that offer live entertainment, defferent cocktails and delicious meals. The pool has it's on bar! And if you desire, there are bellboys that drive you around the resort to where ever you want to go. The breakfast menu was to die for. There are alot of activities they offer, like tennis etc., even novelty stores for you to purchase your swim gear and suncreens. I can go on and on about our experience, but there isn't enough space here. Trust me folks, this is the place to stay in beautiful Tobago. I have no doubt to recommend this place for a wonderful experience. Thanks again Aarika Franklyn!! Mwahh!!

Room Tip: A suite on the second or third floor is highly recommended for a better view of the ocean.
2 Thank Kryssy28
Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I visited the Magdalena Grand for an overnight trip spending just 2 days there. It was 4 of us in total, 2 couples booked in 2 rooms. The breakfast was nice and outdoor staff friendly.

Here's where my grudge begins.

(1) Wet Floors

The hotel is located on the Atlantic facing side, so there are signs on the door which warn about leaving the sliding door to the balcony open, while the AC is on in the room, since this may cause condensation. Fair enough. We adhered to the signs, but even with the AC off, the floor was unbearably slippery, condensation forming at every opportunity.

(2) In Room Waterfall

While in the room, the ceiling began to pour water, not leak, pour. Luckily, on opening the door there was a cleaning lady who called the front desk from our room to have someone come up and fix it. Our bags, etc got wet. On checking with the front desk 30 minutes later, the attendant there said she didn’t know anything about it, there was no note on the room, but they’d get it fixed.

(3) Wrong Credit Card Charges

Now that I’m back looking at my credit card bill, I noticed a large charge from the hotel. I called the front desk who informed me the charge was from dinner at 6:30 on the evening we checked out. The only problem was that we checked out of the hotel at 5:50 and left and did not have dinner. After calling the hotel a couple more times (they kept promising to get back to me) they did eventually call back 2 days later (and only after I’d called them again that morning) and apologize saying a staff member had wrongfully charged my room.

I like the location of the hotel and it’s nice etc. But there customer service is the worst. After hearing these multiple complaints all I got was a ‘oh we are so sorry’. I think that’s ridiculous, given my short stay and the number of things that went wrong. I paid full price for a room that clearly still needed some plumbing work and my woes continued after leaving the hotel. Never had this problem at Coco Reef.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Z Z
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Just spent a fantastic 14 days at Hotel Magdalena Hotel Resort. The location could not be better, beach side, with every room having sea views. The hotel staff were exceptional (rare for Tobago hotels were it is usual for hotel staff to go out of their way to be unhelpful). Food in both restaurant were also well presented with lots of variety.
We travel to Tobago from the UK quite frequently and this hotel complex is by far the best on the island. Tobago are trying to boost their tourist trade and other hotels need to raise thier standard to match this. ANR airport is desperately in need of updating.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Zoltanbobel
Godstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

We booked the hotel as a last minute holiday, choosing Tobago as we wanted to dive there. The hotel had received a lot of investment from the Trinidad and Tobago government and is very well maintained. The room we stayed in was excellent and enjoyed (as they all do) a sea view. The food was superb with plenty of local dishes as well as more international favourites. We took half board which entitled us to two nights in the fine dining restaurant and the remainder in the buffet restaurant. Both were very good and the staff were friendly and helpful. In fact all of the staff in the hotel were friendly and keen to please.
the hotel managemers were on the ball and very visible. We had no cause for complaint at any time but they were keen to ensure that all was to your liking.
Next to the hotel is a beautiful and testing golf course which we played once. Although the course is separate from the hotel, booking via the hotel was cheaper and we received a complimentary golf buggy (cart). The hire clubs were OK but a bit tired.
The hotel is situated on the Atlantic side and there are many warning signs about the roughness of the sea, undertows etc. It was a bit wild but no more so than much of north Cornwall so we really enjoyed playing in the waves. Alternatively you could take the hotel shuttle bus to one of the beaches on the Caribean sea.
We took a day tour (which we did not book via the hotel) with Hans tours. Hans is a certified tour guide and gave us a great island tour. (Hans Tours (868) 759-2880). He was very knowledgeable and friendly. Even though it was just the two of us on the tour, he honoured the group tour rate. I would certainly recommend him.
Tobago is a lovely island and the people were so friendly.
We had not really researched our holiday (apart from some reviews on trip adviser) but were delighted with what we got and will probably return.

2 Thank cader99
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

My friends and i stayed at the Magdalena Grand hotel and i must say that i enjoyed it to the fullest. The staff was so friendly and the service was great. Check in was quick and efficient and we were presented with welcome drinks on arrival. But i must say the most favourite part of my trip was the breakfast, they had a wide variety of items and everything tasted great. i must say that the omelettes were great, on the first two days of my trip a young chef name Arthur made my eggs and he was very friendly, very patient and polite and he had a smile to die for. Then on the third day onward a tall guy name kerwin made my eggs and he gave us tips on places that we should visit while we were there, all in all the eggs were great and i would recommend that once you have breakfast at the Magdalena Grand that you have your eggs made by any of these two guys.I also liked the size of the pool cause i love to swim, and the view of the ocean, it looked like it was taken straight out of a magazine. All in all i would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to experience a piece of paradise and i hope that the staffs friendliness and service will always be five star.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the ocean cause the view is to die for.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank rosa b
shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Found this holiday on BA.com, special offers, great value. Not often a special price is reviewed this highly!.
Hotel lovely as are staff,you really don't expect such friendliness.
Great choice at breakfast, can dine inside or out. Dinner was generally good at the buffet restaurant. We had 2 complimentary nights in the fine dining restaurant, I have to say these were really exceptional, although some other guests wouldn't entirely agree. I think the trick is eat early, 7pm. Very very high standard. Only criticism would be that after the 2 complimentaries you cannot eat there and pay a supplement to your half board, you pay as you were not a guest, same rule applied if you wanted a premium dish, say lobster.
Overall great holiday in great setting, no mossies due to breeze.
Tobago really is lovely whether you fill your holiday with excursions or just chill.
If I recommend a trip it would be Island Girl catamaran, fantastic day!.

Room Tip: We requested an upper floor room, were very pleased.
1 Thank miketheshrew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowlands
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!